Another rod question!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another rod question!
    Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:46pm
BlindFishingNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another rod question...I've acquired a fairly old Kilwell septre game rod that seems in reasonable condition, however, the bindings on the guides are flaking.

Is it worth getting them rebound, replacing all of them completely, or just getting a new rod?

If rebinding/replacing is a good option, is there a good local TGA man for the job?

Thanks all for the help!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:46pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If the rod blank and reel seat are ok, I would get new guides. Sorry but no idea who might do this for you locally.

My first rod build was an old Ryobi 2 piece fly rod I bought from BA, the reel seat was loose, guides were corroded a bit.
So, I stripped it back to the blank, made some jigs and rebuilt it as a SWF rod.
It has even caught some Kahawai! Picture at Ninepin, BOI.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:31pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I just bought this book. Will have a go at building a rod soon. This book was a pretty good price shipped straight to my home:
https://www.bookdepository.com/Advanced-Custom-Rod-Building-Dale-P-Clemens/9781620877937
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:07am
BlindFishingNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, further to this, what would be the best way of removing the resin from the bindings without wrecking the bindings?

I've had someone have a look, his advice was hang it on the wall as an old classic, but it would still be nice to tidy it up!

Thanks,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:22am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You could pick as much of the loose stuff off with a dentists pick then put an other coat over the top.  Could work depending on how discolored the original Epoxy is. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:12pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd redo it for you if you can get it to me in Hamilton .