Another eventful road trip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (9) Likes(9)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another eventful road trip
    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:11pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Soooooo, another trip report from last weekend. Shot down to Whangamata at the leisurely hour of 3:30 am for another solo mission. Loaded up on liveys easily, with some monster Jack Macs in amongst good sized ones, all about one minute from the harbour. The first spot for Kings was a flop, only getting one Barracouta bite after a few hours of trying.... Decided to hit the Tarakihi bed for a feed, and arrived to huge schools showing on the sounder! First two drops got two nice ones, including a real nice 42cm specimen, then it went quiet.... Hooked a big John Dory on a livey after a while but that spat the bait half way up... I hooked up another livey and connected to something big time! I ended up doing two laps of the boat before eventually landing a solid 42 pound Kingy for the bin. Sweet! I dropped another livey down, and this time managed to get a nice John Dory to the boat to also join me for dinner. The Tarakihi sign was still thick as f$@k, but after plenty of effort I only landed one more for the bin. I couldn't resist the urge to jump in for a Cray dive any longer, so shot back to the coast and suited up. The first spot was crawling with Red Crays! I got what I needed and spent another 10 minutes swimming around gazing at good numbers of good sized Crays 😍 Decided I'd give them a break, so jumped out with half a tank left. Cruised back to the ramp mid arvo and shot to the old man's house for a shower and a feed, and a few hours kip.

Decided to go have a look for some Packhorse Crays the next morning before heading back to Jaffa land, trying a different spot with the last half of my tank. After setting the anchor I followed the anchor rope down (to make sure the anchor wasn't snagged in the boulders and to make sure it was well set so I didn't have to swim home), and was stoked to see a nice nest of good Packies within a meter of my anchor chain, and a solid Red Cray about 200 mm away from the anchor itself! I grabbed two nice Packies that ended up going 1.8 kgs a piece. There were plenty more good Crays around, so I spent the rest of my air-time observing them up close and personal.

Another great trip in paradise, with another good smorgasbord of treats πŸ˜€
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:19pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice oneπŸ‘πŸ˜Ž
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done Johnny Watson another mean trip I see. Awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Gumboot. Yeah good to get a nice King in the end, and bloody awesome seeing plenty of Crays around doing there thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean trip, itching to get out of town for a weekend myself.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Kitno. Was good to get a dive and fish in down there before they experienced that bad weather. Was a decent slip on the road a few days back and looks like they had a lot of rain again! Love the variety on offer in other areas πŸ‘
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:34pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on you for putting in the hours on those road missions, mate. You are definitely getting the rewards you deserve. Awesome kingie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:43pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your just a tin arse lmao
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers TTK. Really enjoying these random adventures at the moment. Just comes down to checking where the best conditions are on given days, hooking up the boat, and smashing back those miles! I go back to work for a rest on Mondays πŸ₯΄
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:50pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well done Johnny, their are a few good nests of packies in very close to Whangamata if you know where.WinkGood to hear the terakihi are back too, trawlers been hammering the mud banks lately

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Haha trust you Muppet. You're a jammy bastard too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Kaveman. Yeah the Packies were very close to civilization! I was stoked to see the sounder thick with Tarakihi, as you say, they do get a hammering at times. Bloody gutting seeing them dragging so close to shore.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 11:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Very nice
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:21am
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Smudge!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:54am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot Johnny! Great trip & Photo'sBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 1:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Geoff! Only bad thing about fishing solo without a Gopro is not getting photos of the fish in my arms whilst alive. Hopefully when I get a 40kg King someone is with me πŸ€”