Annual maintenance boat/ Trailer

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

coated with Lanocote at install and gears greased - yep avoid petroleum on bushings makes them swell.

Im pretty sure lanacote is mineral based when comes to the solvents in it...I use inox hi pressure food grade grease.. also used for O rings in things like water filters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:17pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nearly there
Yesterday:
Everything back in the boat.. tools, 1st aid, spare prop anchors, ropes, seats squabs
Drilled re plugged the screw holes that hold the side panels on
Replaced a few stables around the seats and squabs that where getting a little attacked by the sea.. then painted a bit of lanacote over them..
 Re sprayed the canvas part of bimmini again with canvas preservative/water proffer.
Re did all the clears and windows with meguires quick detailer again
 Painted the capstan motor, washdown motor with Lanacote

Did a couple more jobs today.. laid out the anchor warp took all the twists out of it.. 120m of it.. and put colour coded insulation tape thru and around the strands every 10m.

Done:
Today missed a good over the bar day thu...and doesnt look the best for harbour or bar till at least after the following weekend.
If wind goes west might fit in a solo up the harbour even if bit choppy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:20pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All,
I have a DMW trailer which appears to have 12mm holes drilled on the underside of the cross members where they meet the rails. There is also a hole in the centre of the cross members on the underside.
I’ve never been fully satisfied with what I’ve been doing in terms of flushing the box sections. Can anyone give me any tips.

Is everything connected via a series of holes?
Do you bung up the back and fill with water from up the front?
I’m concerned I’m missing some salt contaminated area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I treat these, well all parts, as maintenance AND wash down And launch retrieve.
Biggest  'preventive' is maintenance, but without both neither work well.
 And then there is how to launch/ retrieve correctly.

I tried irrigation hose up channels.. sorta works but the hose laying against the steel leaves 'lines' of moisture.

Maintenance... I spray with a elcheapo under body spray gun, lanacoate grease dissolved in turps up thru the sections (whole trailer except handles and stuff you grab.

Wash down.. is with a good water pressure hose my rain water IBC tanks with a high pressure household water pump does this. Poke the hose up from each end of the box sections, hit under mud guards and back of hubs/ springs real hard...dont be afraid of getting wet.
 Then every 3 or 4th washdown, including boat, carpets etc the petrol water blaster, wand stuck right up inside box sections from each end.

Also ppl far too often back the trailer way too deep thinking thats the best , easiest way to launch / retrieve.
Seems logical , but its not the most efficient launch retrieve , nor is it good for springs, wheels, bearings, chassis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:18am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that Steps, I think I’ll try an irrigation setup. I’m in the water at least once a week so need a system that’s quick an easy. Boat is stored in garage so drys out well within a day providing I have the doors open.
I like the lanocote idea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont go the irrigation.. sounds good.. but after a little time  pull it out for a lanacoate touch up , shine a good light up and you will see marks where doesnt dry out well.. thats not good.
And by the time you hook up the hose with quick connector, hose out... you are not using the hose for other stuff at the same time.

We used to do 25 to 35 trips per yr for near on 10yrs..that more than 1 trip per 2 weeks..

Both reasons why I scrapped it.
" I work very hard at being lazy"

Then important part.. crack a beer....
Unload clean down is around 10/15 mins.

Park up jockey wheel faces so boat moves backwards (see motor rinse), pull drum under motor, lower motor  pulls the trailer back also. Plug the hose into the side of the drum. Climb in boat, fire engine then I unload, crew put stuff where should go.. racking rods to wash  etc.
Grab other hose connect the 'gone 60 sec ' hose container full of GT 18 detergent, foam up the boat trailer, inside outside, and the rods.
Now kill engine, drag out of drum , leave up for now.
 Hose blast boat, trailer, up under engine trim area,  carpets, clears ...everything, except the dash area.. light spray. Rinse off the rods and rack to dry in shed.
 Lower engine to drain.
 Mean time crew packing bait / berly in bait chilly bin away, washing chilli bins.
Then filleting..few beers etc
Next day  dry rods lubed racked up, mist spray gone 60 sec , inside cabin, carpets upholstery bildge with hand spray gun  10 mins .. stops smells , mold , green stuff.
 Rollers, wheel nuts etc a light spray inox / crc , depending if plastic bushes or not. 5 mins.

Glass boat.. messed with lot polishes in the past.....a base of 3 coats ceramic... and light spray and quick spread wipe of supercheap blue tyre shine... of hull decks.. 5 mins
 It is less effort, time , work to do this than  use a brush when washing the boat.

Work hard at being lazy..Wink

As was putting in ibc tanks and high pressure house pump, so dont need to dry off clears, windows etc because of calcium/ minerals in the tap water.

Down side of lanacoate on trailer is a sort of a light brown muddy effect...
BUT when ppl ask  "what is that" suddenly its a great idea....Lamp
Hey thats what lanacoate type greases are for, trailers , yacht rigging, farm machinery, tractors, oil rigs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:48am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

👍
Page  <12