Anchor winch

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor winch
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 2:38pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone tried/used/own one of these
South Pacific Free Fall Winch 710FS

South Pacific Free Fall Winch 710FS

If so would like some feed back

I have a older 5.3m Fi-Glass Warrior. Not much room for a drum winch but this would fit perfect.
Am well aware of "You get what you pay for" but any opinions/views from anyone would be appreciated
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have considered replacing the captain with a winch.. And cost being the defining factor..
Asked around about different types models.
The one thing that stood out is free fall.. The chain dropping in front of the anchor, and anchors not setting well.
Same issue simply dropping anchor currently.. Always drop feeling the weight not free fall.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:22pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://chainsropesandanchors.co.nz

These guys will have your answer,ask for Grant,he maybe out flying.

Based on the shore and have a special way to fit chain to warp,all sliced in no shackle/thimble join,makes setting retrieving easier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:08pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Steps. Although I understand that reversing as you drop avoids the problem. I reverse anyway when dropping by hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:11pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes the chain splice. Keeps it all neat and tidy.
I'll check out that web site tomorrow.
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I tried the reversing.. Back in the days when used to anchor to fish. 5 out when dropping /lining up for a gutter in a reef is hard enough by just pulling forward and drop slowly, but to line up reverse drop the anchor on the right spot, allow for warp angle is impossible unless nail by accident.

Which is why we drift, like the lure /softbait guys, over beds/ gutters rather line up, even with good burley trails.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Update.
Things have changed. Spoke to dealer who advised that to work efficiently, minimum of 300mm of space required above rope pile in locker below.
I doubt if I can achieve this without some alterations which given the confined space to work in, is not practicable.
So I will look at a drum winch.
Thanks for advice
Cheers