Alternative to FG?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote takuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative to FG?
    Posted: 27 May 2024 at 7:24pm
takuman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Chanced across this strange knot, not quite FG not quite bimini ...definitely not PR
But does look so easy to tie and can be strong! 
Anyone knows what this is called ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 11:09pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can see that failing. Any weight and the braid will pull through imo.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 6:18am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It looks to use the same concept of using the braid as a 'sock' that the FG uses, each of those initial crossovers grips the mono. As for the nine half hitches, I use 2 or 3 on an FG  and a 3 turn rizutto to finish.  Melting the ends only creates a hard spur for the knot to catch on which would be a bugger when casting. I am guessing it really is just an alternate way to tie an FG but I doubt it is any easier. 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 11:08am
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks like someone gave up on the FG half way thru   and finished  it off with a bunch of 1/2 hitches .
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote takuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 7:02pm
takuman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

that's what i thought ... very FG-like but a number of half hitches and ending with a rozito or what ever u call that knot... 
i will try it and see.... cinching is key though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 7:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by takuman takuman wrote:

that's what i thought ... very FG-like but a number of half hitches and ending with a rozito or what ever u call that knot... 
i will try it and see.... cinching is key though

There is absolutely no need for so many half hitches or such a big Rizutto knot to finish. I only really fish lightish braid but a knot usually lasts me a year or so. I'm pretty sure I could tie an FG quicker than it would take someone to tie it the same as in the video - and it would cast and retrieve smoother without the meted ends.

While I never got to test an FG during The Nationals as I was using mono I didn't lose a fish to knot failure on 3kg using a 30m mono topshot over 10lb braid, I'm sure the FG would have been the least of my problems. They are such a reliable knot. I reckon an 18lb snap on that gear is a reasonable test of my knots.  My mate lost 2 or 3 nice snapper on 2kg to knot failure so I retied his knots and he didn't lose one after that (plus he got NZ champion angler for snapper on 2kg with a 15 lb or so fish) so I figure my knots are working well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 8:03pm
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ya know the more I look at that knot  the more I think that the knob on the end of the mono is all thats holding it together . The FG part would be the only real grip on the mono but that looks loose and a bit random ( like when you loose track  wether your winding the mono round the mainline or the tag ErmmBig smile). 
I too try to get a trout season out of one FG  but I have 2 rod lengths of fluro. I figure there is enough for a few trimmings  and  long enough for the fish's eye . Better too now that I dont chuck it in the bush on the other side so much. Anyone else notice that the value of the snagged lure is proportional to its difficulty of retrievability , oh  yeah , an being able to see it dangling  from the branch after bust off doesn't help either  CensoredLOL
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 6:17am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yep, there is no way I could keep any knot for more than a day if i was casting around trees