Alloy trailer for sea nymph?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ducky! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alloy trailer for sea nymph?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 5:12pm
ducky! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys I have a Sea Nymph v13, and looking to get a newer lighter trailer for it.

Came across a Fyran aluminium trailer that used to have a Fyran 450 on it. Single drawbar to a box frame at the axles. Duratorque.

I'm unsure about weight differences but would my Sea Nymph be too heavy for the single aluminium box section drawbar?

I don't tow it far for fishing but I do the occasional road trips with it and I pack gear into the boat.

Cheers for the help!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:59pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's not a big boat, and a steel trailer will not be significantly heavier than an alloy... so why bother?you might save 50 kg.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ducky! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:53pm
ducky! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My current steel trailer needs too much work to get WOF, so just sell I cheap whilst I pick up another affordable trailer.

This alloy one popped up and it looked good.

Any insight regarding strength of the single drawbar alloy one for my v13?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hard to say without seeing it but a V13 isn't going to be much heavier than the Frypan. Check it carefully for cracks. If there are no cracks I'd go for it if the price is right
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:12pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aluminium is never as forgiving as steel if there is any flexing. Welds crack,
A well designed and built alloy trailer will be ok though
I'd check that drawbar are fully, and if there are any recent welds, it's cracked and been repaired.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ducky! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:35am
ducky! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Trademe link below for the trailer.
Thats me with all the questions.
Trademe link

Looks OK. If the duratorques really are seized I might just replace with single leaf spring.
Might also get a couple rollers to replace the skids.

Advice appreciated as always, thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:46am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That single draw bar would be the issue. I wouldn't be putting any extra weight in the boat but then I have no idea on the weight difference between the two boats and no experience with trailers of that design. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:56am
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i dont think i would touch that trailer. looks shot to me. 

do you know how much your hull weighs??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:17am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep agreed. If you pack gear into the boat and do use it for road trips that single draw bar looks like a potential weak point. There is no bracing there what so ever. 
Though it wouldnt be that hard to modifie...... 
But I would opt for a Chinese trailer before I  brought that. At least they have a warrenty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alloy as others said above are far more prone to fatigue, espec around welds than steel..
Draw bar weight...
I assume you mean vertical weight.. be it a small boat like this or bigger same 5.5m commander, that weight  @ tow ball height around 75 to 80kg  and bigger say commander 80 to 95kg.
 Big issue thu is any twist and fatigue in the drawer bar section(s)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just came in here to say wow, the state of the welds on that trailer :/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:34pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That trailer is totally unsuitable for your boat, it's for a dinghy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:14pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Just came in here to say wow, the state of the welds on that trailer :/

I looked at it but don’t see what you did. I am not a welder; could you give some pointers as to precisely what you see? Would be useful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 6:10pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/plusw/1412314973.jpg

The weld on the mudguard looks to have no penetration whatsoever and has now cracked from the right hand side.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/plusw/1412314724.jpg

The weld onto the big chunky bracket at the top of the image looks like it was squeezed out of a tube of toothpaste, it wavers all over the place, the bead width changes throughout the weld which may also be because it looks to have very little penetration in one area and excessive in others. Also the ones onto the mudguard, again, doesn't look like much penetration, plus looks like maybe the welds were contaminated (splatter, discolouration, maybe even some porosity?)
A consistent weld tends to be a good weld, and these are anything but.