Advice on pigs & a spit

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wiski23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on pigs & a spit
    Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 6:42pm
Wiski23 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi was wondering if anyone can help on a few questions please. looking to rent a spit & buy a pig for Warriors grand final day.

Approx price & where to buy a pig?
Approx price & where to rent a spit?
Lastly is this something a few novices can do?
Is it very difficult to cook up a good spit for the lads or are we dreaming if never did one before?

Any info is much appreciated Cheers Spm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:32pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Your local hire centre should have a spit and some advise on cooking times (at least hours I think?). The Mad Butcher is big on pork isn't he?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr.Dundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:33pm
Mr.Dundee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Sirpartyman thats a cool idea.
Give it a go I tried a mutton and was primo
If ya wernt too far away might even gate crash.
Pigs are around $70 for a weaner but you want something bigger than that,no idea what a decent one would be worth.
Spits can be hired from ya local hireplace usualy no idea how much,this was 2007
If ya do a pig run ya knife around the the whole skin so that you can cut the crackle off before you start carving.  Good luck! Hope this helps and enjoy ya feast. GO THE WARRIORS!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:37pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You want one around 40 to 50 pounds, allow 7 hours and cook slow. Sheep are easier and faster. You can do them in 3 to 4 hours depending on size.

Key is don't rush it
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:00pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate, consider something like Brownies spit roasts or whatever you have in your area.  It's a huge task getting a spit sorted, ideally you want to either get the inside running on how that particular spit cooks and how long for weight and dimensions and the most important, how long before you plan to eat to start cooking as a small pig can take 12 hours in some spits!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wiski23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:41pm
Wiski23 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for the info guys,your pics are making me hungry Dundee:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr.Dundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 10:01pm
Mr.Dundee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm waiting for pork spit pics
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 12:03am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's one for you

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 7:53am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Immmmmmmm, nothing quite like it.

Tip.
When cooked try a dipping sauce I had up in Tahiti recently which totally blew me  away. Coconut Milk with a finely chopped mix of fresh chives and garlic.  The best of the best ! !  !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 5:26pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Might I make a suggestion with regards to the cooking on the spit.

For the crackling on the outside, it really pays to make slits or cuts into the skin and liberally salt it.
Pays to do this a couple of hours before you start to cook as it draws moisture out. You literally see the water globules forming on the outside.

The skin comes out crisp, it's easy to carve off (as Dundee suggests by running knife around), and more importantly, the fat is dripping into the slits you've made to baste the pork and keep it moist.
I've done quite a few spits and the key is to do it slowly as Bushie says.

Another cool idea is threading a dozen or so apples onto a long skewer and shotting this up inside the porker. The juices caramalise the apples and the meat protects them from direct heat so they don't become all mushy. Great as a side dish.

Mine have always been on a charcoal base as opposed to gas - taste is incomparable.

If I wasn't so far away, I'd volunteer to give you a hand mate.

Pork is way better than a spit lamb if done properly.
Remember....SLOWLY and fire not too hot!

Great idea!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:11pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How do you kill the pig, presuming it's live.
I wanna do a spit for christmas and i can't shoot it and don't want slit it as i dont want the screams to be heard throughout the whole neighborhood. Only other method that i've found was by taking it to a homekiill but the farm is too far away from me. 

Can anyone help?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:22pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

buy it dead.....easier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:54pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dk1991 Dk1991 wrote:

How do you kill the pig, presuming it's live.
I wanna do a spit for christmas and i can't shoot it and don't want slit it as i dont want the screams to be heard throughout the whole neighborhood. Only other method that i've found was by taking it to a homekiill but the farm is too far away from me. 

Can anyone help?

Get a homekill guy to come to you. Whereabouts are you? I've got a mate who I could get in touch with if you're in Aucks. Pig will be stunned first, so there isn't going to be too much commotion.

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 11:28pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh cheers for that offer Finatic but i live in Tauranga.
I'll give that a try though aye, hope it aint to expensive. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr.Dundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 8:24pm
Mr.Dundee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is it going to happen Sirpartyman? Would love to see the footage or pics once the warriors winCool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 3:51pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did this pig on the spit ever eventuate?

Be cool to see some pics for sure and to know how it came out.

My guess is the boys were all pissed before the game even started and collapsed in a pile at the end of it all and forgot about the pigClown
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wiski23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:12pm
Wiski23 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Did this pig on the spit ever eventuate?

Be cool to see some pics for sure and to know how it came out.

My guess is the boys were all pissed before the game even started and collapsed in a pile at the end of it all and forgot about the pigClown

Haha not far off the mark! Nah we couldn't get a spit so we chucked two porks in two webber bbq's! The piece of crackle I had was bloody great! Yes that's right 1 piece of crackle haha... Too much rum,eating turned into cheating

Ps would still love to entertain with a spit thou..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:43pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a spit booked for my 40th on the 3rd Dec... have got 2 fellow which I'm having rolled so they both fit on an cook well...not to mention some fresh crays, paua, oysters and scollies...mmmm going to be a great day/night...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr.Dundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 8:59pm
Mr.Dundee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

dam sirpartyman was looking forward to the results
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 5:33pm
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hope you have some good beers to wash all that down with Predator!  Sounds like a bl oody good feed!
Page  12>