Advice needed - buying a boat

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 1:31am
Si View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, have been eyeing up some of the deals on there... I wonder if that $10 ply boat floats hmmmmm.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 8:40am
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just don't forget the magic formula -

Cheap, reliable, fast. You can have any two but not all three. ie;

Cheap and reliable but not fast

Reliable and fast but not cheap

Fast and cheap but not reliable!

Same goes with most anything you buy.

Ross

Fishing-4-all-NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 10:41am
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i too am looking at getting a smallish boat. i have quite a bit of experience in small and big boats from driving mates boats etc in seas up to about 3-4 metres. but that was in a boigger boat. how do thos mac plastic boats handle? i would imagine that they are quite stable? the good thing baout the hauraki gulf is that you have places to tuck in if the weather sh*ts up and you can always leave your boat at waiheke and catch the ferry back if you really have to.

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 11:22am
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Theres heaps of fun to be had with a small boat. My wife and i had a 13ft Ali-craft with a 15hp Yam for about 5 yrs.

Ideal for shallow water fishing, harbour, estuary, diving, close in coastal fishing (both from boat and LB. Even managed open water fishing when the conditions were right.

Easily carried by 2 or dragged by one. We just had ours on a car trailer (killed two birds with one stone) ramps were never an issue, basically any water that was within carry or drag distance was accessible.

We added a sounder as an aid for when fishing new areas. Did everything a larger boat could do, just had to bare in mind limitations of weather and range. 

Heaps of fun, very basic maintenance, ideal for anyone wanting to progress onto the briny from LB.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 9:11pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hi rainman

im looking at buying a 13ft aluminium dinghy in the coming weeks and am wondering if the 15 hp motor im intending to whack on it will be enough. most of the time it will run fairly light, with just perhaps two persons and a bit of fishing gear on board. im hopeing to cruise about 20mph - should be able to cover a reasonable amount of ground at this speed.

what are your thoughts - did you ever wish you had a 25hp at times?

marcus

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 9:12pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

how much fuel would you expect to consume in a small tinnie for a trip from takapuna boat ramp out to rakino and back in reasonable conditions?

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R2D2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 9:12pm
R2D2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Big Moocher,

I've  fished around Auckland on a  Mac boat, indestructable and quite stable, had about the same freeboard as a lilo tho and very wet into the sea.  Loads of fun.

JD

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 10:29pm
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Big Moocher

We had a similar setup to what you are proposing. i.e 2ppl + gear. 20 kn is attainable IMO. The 15 hp IMO was well suited to the size of boat. We used to carry some decent loads at times. Had a 4 stroke 2hp Honda which we used to chuck in during open water excursions. (add in safety gear,bailey box with bait ice etc fishing gear) you get the picture 

3 divers with gear + boatman no probs

A 15 has a pretty respectable range on your ave tote tank. Sorry dont have any specifics on actual distances. We always carried a 20l spare just in case the long way home was necessary. Did a trip from Matauri down almost to the Needles (sth of Takou B) and back on less than a tank. Gives you a bit of an idea of range.

We started fishing close for a start till our confidence grew and gradually extended our range.

Some of the most exciting fishing we ever had was in that little boat. My wife had hooked a Kahawai just out from the first island off Matauri. She almost had it to the point of it being netted when the water erupted by the boat. A kingfish with a mouth the size of a bucket came up and gobbled her fish. We both nearly messed ourselves on the spot.

Collected ourselves, flicked the anchor rope off (buoy attached) and spent 1/2 hr with an angry fish leading us all over the place not wanting to part with its dinner.  The inevitable happened though and we were left with a very beaten scaled kahawai for our troubles. wouldnt have missed that for anything.  Hope that gets the juices flowing. Big fish /little boats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 10:47am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Guys,

A mate of mine has a 13'6'' tiny with a 15hp Merc. Couple of seasons ago got towed around the ocean for a few hours behind a 25kg Yellow Fin. Landed 2 that day, both on a 1:1 Alvey with no drag....

Its not size that matters, it's how you use it, at least thats what I keep telling my wife.

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 11:15am
Si View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for all your help guys !

After reading all your advice and talking to other people we spent the last few days checking out some boats and we finally got ourselves a little runabout yesterday... 13'6" fglass in pretty good condition with a 50hp Mercury outboard. The guy we bought it off used it alot to fish out and around Kawau island. It was within our budget and should do us through summer anyway. Am picking it up tomorrow and taking it straight in to get the motor serviced.

Si

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 4:29pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whya glass one si?...what was the deciding factor
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 4:48pm
Si View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A few factors... firstly the boat has a little cockpit (if that's the right term) and a good condition canopy offering some shelter from the elements - something I couldn't find on a tinnie in our price range. The boat is 13'6" and is fairly light so should be easy enough to launch and retrieve single-handedly, there are plenty of rod holders and a good amount of space on the deck to move around. The boat itself was in the best condition out of the ones I looked at and the outboard appears to be in pretty good shape but am putting that in for a full service before it gets its first use just to be sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 5:45pm
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Si. May it be a good little provider for you. Hope the weather gods are good to you soon with the pending innaugural launch. In fact i think we could all do with some respite from the %$#$%$ weather.

Great feeling to go out in your first boat for the first time. annnnnd if you can bring home a feed of fish, well it will have the extra bit of flavour for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 5:56pm
Mr Bean View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good luck Si, ya don't always have to go far to get a good fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 8:40pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

right, its settled then - ramco400 with the 15hp

could anyone recommend a good ramco dealer to approach - akld that is. I understand fish city in albany do ramco, and theres another crowd in manukau - has anyone had any dealings with these guys - good/bad experiences.

i spose i could consider getting a boat from hamilton too...

marcus

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Camo & Lace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 9:10pm
Camo & Lace View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Si,

Good luck with your new boat.  If you ever need any help with launching at Weymouth boat ramp, let me know.  I live in the last house and have a Stabi in the driveway, can't miss it.

You're right about some of the antics and funny incidents that go on down here, I should video some of them...one day, so feel free to drop in.

If you want fishing tactics and advice, better stick to advice from other more experienced forum members as I have a long way to go but still enjoy getting out there.

Camo & Lace

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 9:22pm
Si View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys, am looking forward to getting out there soon and being able to offer some fishing reports in here of my own.

Hi Camo & Lace, have seen your Stabi in the driveway (nice looking boat)... have been going down to that boat ramp over the last week to try and spy on people launching but haven't seen much action going on. Please don't video me when I come to do my first launch down there !!! LOL. I may drop by and say hello some time when am down there, maybe you can tell me where the closest fishing spot is from that ramp.

Cheers, Si

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 10:39pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ahh Ive missed most of this thread, Bounty hunter, that Ramco was for sale at counties marine for $9100, with a 25 hp merc on the back.

Ive priced the hull a manukau marine just a tad under $3000 from memory.

Ive just repowered my tinnie with a tohatsu 18 hp, which is a merc 15 (super) hp, under another badge. I got it off Lethal at a real good price. It was cheaper than all the other 15hp motors and I got another 3 hp to boot.

The new motor pushes the boat along (full noise) at 42 kph, which makes it  a twichy death trap.

Wefaknis

PS welcome back Camo & lace

and Si don't take the boat out on sunday, just the read Kahawai king thread, and you will understand why.

Page  <12