Abu Carcia Inshore

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abu Carcia Inshore
    Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 2:37pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone use this reel?
And if so,what rod and braid weight did you choose?
Seen the usual overseas YouTube clips.
Interested to see what NZers prefer.
Was going to try a NZ Made rod and Tasline braid if possible.
Cheerz
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barra10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:27am
Barra10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There are a few Abu inshore reels, both spinning and baitcast with various models of each. Which one are you looking at?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 8:00pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanx Barra,one of the baitcast reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barra10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 9:03am
Barra10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I like them a lot, nice compact reel with a big drag. If you want to use it for casting then I found that the gen3 casts a slightly better than the gen2 but they're both pretty good. Running 30 and 50lb 832 with rod depending on the style of fishing I'm doing.

Also worth looking at the abu toro reels, they're power houses.

Just because they say inshore doesn't mean they like salt, skip a cleaning or two and it won't take long for it to be noticeable in performance. Clean them right and they last for years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 10:27am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheerz for that Barra.
Any rod preference?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 10:46am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got the old model - a Revo SX. I like it a lot but it needs lots of TLC (I can strip and clean with my eyes closed now) but so do all baitcaster reels.  

I've had mine for at least 6 years and the only problem I've had was a recurring fault in the material used to kick back the thumb bar (an internal item) - I've got the latest component installed so we'll see if it fixes the problem long term. Still running original bearings but it's beginning to sound a bit rumbly.

Bought at the time because of size  and weight (there was only the original Curado 300 available) and it fitted perfectly onto a 2-5kg Shimano Starlo Stix - casts great and the combo could handle up to 1oz jigheads. Is better suited to lighter jigheads and I'll be trying it with a Kabura this weekend. Best fish caught has been an 80cm rat kingi. 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 12:05pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

iv just got a new rego premier bloody nice reel loaded with 10lb its on a new diawa t series 6ft rod
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 3:39pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanx men.Looks like I will go with the gen3/4 reel.
Nice looking bit of kit(YouTube).
Will most likely go with a Kiwi built rod.
I try to keep as much work for our(NZ) craftsmen as I can,where possible.
Cheerz