4kg considerations

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4kg considerations
    Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:42pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking for a project this year to have a bit of fun with next year  nationals  in mind and I thinking after having a blast and a few tears on rat kingies on 3 kg that 4kg may be the go with a dedicated set.

A few questions with where to start.

I am thinking I will go down the over hear route (something about bail arms and a extra complication read another thing for me to stuff up), not sure on reels  yet but like to hear what people are using currently to target Snaps, Kings, Albies and the odd Shark (Not marlin LOL).

A question are duel drags of any benefit in this line class or do they feature more in the bigger line classes (up to 10kg).

What brand IGFA line ?

Rods what should I be looking for in a rod- loading, length, configuration (rollers, Sic, spiral or conventional)

And what connections at the sharp end are people using ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:26pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Said it before I'll say it again,I have used a Daiwa SL20 for a few years now and am firmly convinced it's all you need. The rod is a Calstar GFX7 that I built myself, if I was doing it again I'd build a Calstar 700 xl instead, I think the GFX7 is too light, but will try it on 3kg over the next few days and see how it goes.

There's bound to be something in the CTS stable that equally as good.

Alternately shop around for a decent action rod that bends progressively through out it's top 2/3rds with decent guides. You don't need silicone carbide guides. My current one has Alps guides and they seem fine.

Rollers, even those small aftco ones are a liability.If you're chasing bigger tuna or Marlin, or even prolonged fights with sharks, you might be wanting somehing slicker, but kingies, Albacore and skippies  ceramic guides are your best bet.

Hope that helps.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:02pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As far as reels go, if you can find a TLD5, I can recommend that for both 3 or 4 kg mono. I used mine for many years in competitive light tackle comps and their drags (lever) were excellent for that environment. Kingis, sharks, big mulloway/jewfish and plenty of couta. They are now probably almost 20 years old and still work flawlessly (thanks to a good service from Jeff Murray when needed). 
We used Double X and Triple Fish IGFA mono in both 3 & 4 kg and they were testing consistently and close to specified limit. Provided the drag is good, your knots become your weak point if you aren't burnt or rubbed off. I always used double leader and trace as close to the maximum permissible IGFA length. Like BigFishBob, we fished ceramic guides.

Don't know the current IGFA rules but for any record fish then you needed to supply the double/leader etc with the fish at the scales. So if you caught a possible record, you remove the whole end bit including some mainline, stored it for weigh-in and re-rigged.

My 20+ year-old babies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:23am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good info there I have an SL20SH (needs a service though)  that will have 6kg on it and I am thinking I will assign it to a CD Albagraph 6-8kg rod which has only been used an hand full of times.

I like the sounds of a lever drag and knowing exactly what  the drag is set at during the fight  -Panga's  idea of a Tynos 8 (or 10) sounds like a possible contenders or maybe a small Accurate TLD5 maybe and option Keith but they are rare as Hens teeth now days.  I do have a SA15  in the cupboard as well which could be spooled up as a reserve.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:37am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reels - If only interested in overheads then lever drag is the only way to go, you know what drag you have all the time. I use Shimano TR1000's awesome drags (I played a YFT about 35-40 kg on 6 kg on one of these for over 3 hours with about 3 kg of drag before finally busting off through impatience on my part (fish was within 10-20m of the boat for 2 hours and I just couldn't get it that last bit). The drag worked perfectly the whole time. Another option worth considering is a Shimano Tynos 8 single or 2 speed (don't think you actually need a 2 speed) they have fantastic drags as well.

Rods - if just chasing snapper, kingies etc don't need rollers, good ceramics is all you need - I have Offshore rods. In most cases rather than muying a 4kg rod I would buy a 6 kg rod, my personal feeling is most rods are overated, I quite like a stiffer rod which has some guts down deep, it is amazing how much weight you can put on a fish with 4 kg line if you want to. Get stuck on the bottom and try and break the line with the rod, amazing how hard it is to do it.

Line - I do not have a preference as long as it is a well known brand of IGFA rated line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:47am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have to agree re the sl20, have a number off them, you saw what we got on it mate so well worth the effort to get it serviced and add a bit of spice,
You saw what happened with that rollered rod when the line went inside the roller.
Sure you can use rollers but lots of maintenance and again look at the results and fun we had with what we were using.
I am going to do the kingi comp up here which is all light tackle stuff so will be interesting fishing and I will spool a tld 15 with 10 as the heavy set 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:15am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup the little SL20's punch well above their weight thats for sure, I will get the full service ( and maybe even learn to cast it properly to Embarrassed).

Seems like as you confirmed rollers maybe a no go from a practicality sense and yup that was a bit touch and go when the line dropped inside it.

I think next year may be very interesting indeed, I'll bring up spare spools of line and extra tissues for the tears LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:16am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Overhead LD has the advantage of being able to adjust the drag accurately throughout the fight and with lighter line it's critical when you need to be putting maximum pressure on the fish at times (say 2/3 the lineweight for instance) and backing off quickly when it runs.

Key is to make sure you know where each setting is on your reel and fish it to much higher limits than you normally might.

More [here] about what set-up I use.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We use TLD20's for all our light line stuff from 2-6kg. The spools are half filled super tight with 50lb mono then taped off with electrical tape and filled with the light line over the top. The 4 reels we use have had the drags worked on my a shop in florida but. Even at 3.6:1 with the larger spool we can still get a lot of line back and have super smooth drags.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Moocha, you can also use a shimano 1000 with the level wind removed (in place of tld5).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:31pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats not a bad idea Keith and cost effective as well - the TR 1000 LD is around the $200 mark give or take I think.

Here is an old thread which also gives them  and the TLD5 good marks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 6:01pm
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I would have a look at Avet, They have 4 reels in that class, SXJ 350yds of 4kg, SX 450yds of 4kg, MXJ 500yds of 4kg, MXL 600yds 4kg, all with max drag of 14lbs, and all in single or 2 speed, all lever drag. Also there is a south florida drag arm for using lighter line weights, giving you finer adjustment through the drag curve, great for light line tournament fish. Its a less aggressive cam. 
SXJ is the size of the Trini 10
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 6:12pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have an Abu Ambassadeur 6500 C3CT Elite that would be a wee beaut 4kg outfit, been tweaked from SwordfishSteve to be like a swiss watchApprove
Used to be a UK long distance casting reel, reckon it would be a cracker on 3-4-6kg.Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by reeldeal reeldeal wrote:

I would have a look at Avet, They have 4 reels in that class, SXJ 350yds of 4kg, SX 450yds of 4kg, MXJ 500yds of 4kg, MXL 600yds 4kg, all with max drag of 14lbs, and all in single or 2 speed, all lever drag. Also there is a south florida drag arm for using lighter line weights, giving you finer adjustment through the drag curve, great for light line tournament fish. Its a less aggressive cam. 

That sounds promising Cam, for chasing fish game (short of Marlin) on 4kg what are the thoughts on comfortably required line capacity ? like the sound of that South Florida drag cam, is it an audiable click adjustment ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:20am
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Originally posted by reeldeal reeldeal wrote:

That sounds promising Cam, for chasing fish game (short of Marlin) on 4kg what are the thoughts on comfortably required line capacity ? like the sound of that South Florida drag cam, is it an audiable click adjustment ?

Hi Mark,
The drag is not audiable, the only audiable are is on the Avet raptor seires,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 9:26am
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I thought i would add some dimensions, for the Avet SX and MX series so you guys have an idea of the reel sizes

SXJ Reel Diametre 6.0cm Spool Width 2.85cm
SX Reel Diametre 6.0cm Spool Width 3.8cm
MXJ Reel Diametre 6.98cm Spool Width 3.65cm
MXL Reel Diametre 6.98cm Spool Width 4.76cm
Left to right SXJ, SX, MXJ, MXL
Left to right SXJ, SX, MXJ, MXL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 10:54am
Titanium
Titanium

had a little Avet MX turn up today in the mail, thanks Cam, will give it a good turn as soon as possible.

A stunning little reel with no fiddly bits, I like that in a reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:24am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I have an Abu Ambassadeur 6500 C3CT Elite that would be a wee beaut 4kg outfit, been tweaked from SwordfishSteve to be like a swiss watchApprove
Used to be a UK long distance casting reel, reckon it would be a cracker on 3-4-6kg.Thumbs Up
Yup that's what I used for about 20 years before I got the Daiwa SL20. I reason I Stopped using it was because it ended up at the bottom of the parengarenga harbour. I think I put some Smoooooth drag washers in it once but it was a great little reel for the light tackle.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

well I have decided to fit the AVET MXJ up to an Ugly stick I have it is a custom built job and has a beautiful action for light stiff, the reel is fitted with light braid so that will be a bit of fun, as soon as the weather settles I will go and play silly buggers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:42pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That sounds like a demon wee set up mate, snazzy wee reels to... I think the 'oursies' concept may have been revived LOLThumbs Up
Page  12>