4 wt nymphing line

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 wt nymphing line
    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 2:25pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whilst out fishing, yesterday, I noticed the zip at the back of my vest was open and the spare spool with my nymphing line was missing.
Need to buy a new reel and line.
Any recommendations for a line to use on smaller rivers and streams for my 4 weight rod. 
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:25pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Need to know the rod bro.   Type of taper to match the rods is the most important factor in it all, and without knowing the rods its just blind luck recommending a specific line. 

As for reels, plenty of really good quality reels out there. Just depends on your budget?   Personally I wouldn't buy a reel that isn't completely sealed, in other words the bearings and drag system is sealed to prevent the ingress of water if it gets a dunking, but that means s[pending a little more than the budget options.  Give us an idea of budget and I can recommend a few.

Sorry for more questions than answers Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rod is an old one - CD GHR. It was a huge improvement from my previous Kilwell 8ft but probably a bit dated, now.

Wouldn't spend more than $200 for a reel. As I'm a keen game fisher there are many needs with their hand out!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 4:58am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Go on trade me and search for reels, I would spend not much on one and get a good line, look at the rio bank shot line, I think that’s what’s it called, good for wind etc.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:57am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’d probably buy a Lamson liquid as I’ve always had trouble free fishing and smooth drags from Lamson-waterworks. A mate bought a fly lab Glide reel last year and that is going well ( I’d have got the Lamson)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 11:00am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea if your looking for a cheap reel  then id say a lamson liquid 1.5 size for a 4# (runs around $250 I believe.  Maybe some specials?).  Probably the cheapest fully sealed reel you can buy these days.   You can get cheaper reels that aren't too bad, but if they get a dunking and don't get properly dried out after that, there usually just bin material after that.  A few more $ for the lamson, but you wont have to replace it in a few years. 

Ok an old GHR. Pretty stiff beast, so you want a heaver aggressive taper to suit that.  Id say a Rio Gold or a Airflo Dash line would probably suit it well.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 2:29pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will check out those suggestions guys
Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 4:22pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The full price is about $250 ( Lamson liquid) so you should manage to get it with 10% off most places .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 4:26pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

8 months later, after I bought a Lamson and Airflow a loooooong time ago, I'm ready to go fishing next week.
What with lock-downs and floods I just have not been able to get out.
I took my rod to Hamilton Lake and found it was much windier there than I expected but game it a go anyway. It seemed to cast well, despite the wind but there were too many people out walking and despite picking a quieter area there were still people walking too close.
When I was cycling along the Waikato riverbank walkway in Hamilton, I saw a trout rising regularly. It was too far out to cast and too much vegetation but still a good thing to see.