2004 Johnson 50hp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004 Johnson 50hp
    Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:00pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So.....just mounted a 2004 Johnson 50hp onto a reconditioned 14ft fibreglass runabout.

Engine starts and runs but exhaust smoke seems to be leaking out from engine and no water from tell tail unless I use the muffs i.e. works fine when water is forced through but not when run in a barrel. I have replaced water pump as engine is new to me but no suspect there is an exhaust leak.

Would this leak cause the issue with water pump? I'm guessing with what is essentially a pressure leak, maybe the reduction means the pump won't lift water high enough? 

I guess I just need to get a set of gaskets and swap out old for new? Any handy hints would be much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 7:07am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

could be a blocked waterway from mud clogged mud sand etc.

try using a water blaster or air hose blown repeatably thru the tell tail with firstly without running the motor then with motor running or do likewise using a length of 300 kg leader mono or similar poked down the tell tale ... works for me.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 7:34am
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the reply and I'll check it out but with the tell tail pushing out plenty of water when muffs are used, I don't think the system is blocked as there would be nothing coming out. My feeling is the system is not building enough pressure to work correctly........turn water supply off to the muffs and remove when engine is running and it spits water but not a consistent stream.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 9:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess I just need to get a set of gaskets and swap out old for new? Any handy hints would be much appreciated.

To clarify, the new impeller was put in but not a new gaskets set?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:54am
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes, the gaskets supplied with the water pump kit were installed when the pump was done.....I was thinking that the gasket between the exhaust and the powerhead maybe the cause???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Still sounds like a semi blocked telltale to me. You will need to clean or replace the pipe to the telltale as well.

Other thing is the engine idle set right, if the engine idles to low the pump will not produce enough pressure to run the telltale properly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:43am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

To ask a silly question, did you put the fins of the impellor the right way around for the rotation?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 8:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When we get a bit gravel in the tell tail.. more than once, it squirts out rather than dribbles.
Impeller in wrong way if thats possible (?)

Engine starts and runs but exhaust smoke seems to be leaking out from engine

Do you mean when in the drum, you get more exhaust coming out around the cavitation plate staining that area?
That is normal when rinse in drum. It is due to extra back pressure from the hub exhaust. Often ppl think have a gasket leak in the gearbox.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 10:30pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The exhaust smoke (bluish) appears to be close to the carburetor. I'll check the pump fins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 8:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats not good...
Under the cowl?
There are vents either side of the tell tale, maybe something around them?
Top gasket on the exhaust leg  manifold?
Bit out of my league.