• 3 cups baby spinach
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 clove of garlic, crushed
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 150g fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
• 1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
• 1tbsp brown sugar
• Juice from 2 small lemons or 1 large
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 tsp capers, chopped
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
• 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
• 250-400g smoked kingfish, pulled apart
1) Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2) In a microwave-proof bowl, add the green beans and cover with water. Microwave for six minutes. Remove and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Alternatively, this can be done on the stove top. Bring the beans to the boil, cook for 4-6 minutes until al dente, then rinse under cold water.
3) Place the fennel, brown sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir to combine and set aside for 10 minutes.
4) Drain the green beans and fennel and add to a large salad bowl. Add the red onion, parsley, capers, cherry tomatoes, cannelloni beans and kingfish, along with one heaped tablespoon of the dressing. Gently mix to combine. Season to taste and add more dressing if desired.
5) Just before serving, place the egg around the edge of the bowl.
6) Serve the salad buffet style with crusty bread or garlic bread. ENJOY!
Note: This is a very clean and mild tasting dish. Adding more dressing to the dish will increase the depth and flavour.
This article is reproduced with permission of