Prawn and Sweet Potato Fritters
• 1/2 cup almond flour
• 1/2 cup self-raising flour
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 3/4 - 1 cup coconut milk
• 1 small sweet potato, grated
• 400g raw prawns, peeled and chopped
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
• 2 kaffir lime leaves, stalk removed and finely chopped, or zest of one lime
• Salt and pepper
• Oil for frying
• 1 fresh red chilli or 1/4 tsp dried chilli
• 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
• 1 Tbsp sugar
• 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 Tbsp fish sauce
• 1 Tbsp grated carrot
1) Place all the sauce ingredients except the carrot into a small pot and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside. Once cooled, add the carrot and mix.
2) Place the flours, turmeric and coconut milk in a bowl and whisk into a thick batter.
3) Place the sweet potato in a clean towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Add to the batter along with the prawns, peas, coriander and kaffir lime or lime and mix to combine. Add more coconut milk if it’s too thick for your liking.
4) In a large frying pan add 3-4 Tbsp oil and heat until smoking hot. Drop a heaped tablespoon of batter into the hot oil and cook until golden on both sides. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Keep the fritters in a warm oven.
5) Serve the fritters and dipping sauce as an appetiser with friends and ENJOY!
November 2022 - Bea Bagnall
New Zealand Fishing News Magazine.
Copyright: NZ Fishing Media Ltd.
Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited
To be fair to the people investigating this we don't know the circumstances, or what they were doing. It may well be that it went on...
Just tried threading 200lb mono into 80 lb hollow dacron and it works. No needle required. That would be a decent option.Alan...
Question for you guys. Are you bait fishing in non-designated coarse fisheries? If so, do you ever run in to problems with F&G?...
All colours disappear at some point with increasing depth of water, but red is the first to go. Maybe that's part of the attraction? ...
Nice fish Mr Miyagi,t rev's make terrific sashimi, but lucky for me I also likekahawai, and as you see from your office window, they are boiling...
Anchovies on the menu – for everyone This is the time of year when the... Read More >
Gulf full of bait Autumn has turned out to be better than summer with crisp... Read More >
A good tarakihi bite Great to have some very nice weather patterns lately and some... Read More >
Find the anchovies, find the fish! Tiny, tasty anchovies are on fire! Here, there –... Read More >
John Eichlesheim writes an article about selecting the right equipment for softbait fishing... Read More >
Techniques, tips and tricks of softbait fishing – getting the most from your soft baits.... Read More >
Gary Kemsley helps sort out the necessary gear for intending surf fishers.... Read More >
Squid fishing is a rapidly growing aspect of fishing - Paul Senior shares some hints and tips to get started.... Read More >