Bea Bagnall shares her recipe for kingfish sammies with a zingy jalapeno slaw
1. Crumb the fish using the ‘One Bag Wonder’ technique: place your fish pieces into the ziplock bag; add the self-raising flour, salt and pepper; zip the bag up and shake to coat all the pieces; empty out any excess flour from the bag.
2. Quickly beat the egg and add to the ziplock bag. Zipping the top, shake the bag to coat all the fish pieces. If you feel there is not enough egg, repeat using another egg. (If you overdo it on the egg, you will use a lot more breadcrumbs in the next step.)
3. Add the breadcrumbs to the ‘One Bag wonder’, one cup at a time. Zipping the top, shake to coat all the fish pieces and set aside.
4. Combine the onion, mayo, mustard, chopped jalapeños and juice, and set aside.
5. Heat the oil for frying the fish in a large frying pan, then fry the fish until golden and cooked through – approx. two minutes each side, depending on the size and thickness of your fish pieces. Transfer cooked fish onto a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat until all your fish is cooked.
6. Toss the lettuce with the jalapeño dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper; add more jalapeño juice if desired. Divide the fish and slaw onto the bread roll, pitas or bread slices. ENJOY!
This article is reproduced with permission of