1) Turn on your deep fryer or if you are shallow frying, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the plan, plus a bit more. Add more oil as needed when shallow frying.
2) Mix the eggs and corn flour to make a batter. Adjust the batter mixture to the quantity of fish. Add in the fish pieces and set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, add the salt, chicken stock, water, honey, lemon juice and zest and set aside.
4) In a medium pot, melt the butter over low-medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
5) Add the chicken stock, honey, lemon mixture and increase the heat and bring to the boil.
6) Add the cornflour, water mixture and cook until thickened (approximately two minutes). If you like a thicker sauce, add another tablespoon of corn flour and one tablespoon of water to the mixture.
7) Fry the fish bites in small batches so you don’t over crowd the pan or deep fryer. Cook until the fish is opaque and cooked through.
8) Serve the crispy fish with white rice, steamed veggies and drizzle with the lemon sauce.
July 2021 - Bea Bagnall
New Zealand Fishing News Magazine.
Copyright: NZ Fishing Media Ltd.
Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited
Manukau & West Coast Time to come out and play! Yippee, it’s spring time and... Read More >