Crunchy, Overloaded, Very Inviting and Delicious. Makes 4.
• 1 packet burger buns
• 4 pieces of fish or 16 prawns, shelled, tails removed and deveined
(any fish fillets will work well in this recipe, e.g. snapper, trevally, kingfish)
• 1 Tbsp corn flour
• ¾ cup flour
• 1 bottle of beer – I used Low Carb DB Export Gold (this made for a beautiful & light batter)
• ½ tsp flakey sea salt
• ½ tsp lime zest
• Ground black pepper
Burger filling ideas
• Caramelised onion
1. Preheat deep fryer, or if you’re using a wok or pot to fry your fish, add approx. 1L of oil or enough oil to cover the fish when you’re frying.
2. In a small bowl, combine the corn flour with a good pinch of finely ground black pepper and mix to combine.
3. In a large bowl, place the flour, lime zest, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Gradually add the beer, whisking it into a nice smooth batter. You won’t use all the beer so you know what to do with the rest.
4. Pat your fish or prawns dry. Coat in the corn flour and transfer into the batter mixture.
5. Transfer your battered fish or prawns into the hot oil and cook until crispy, golden and cooked through.
Frying time will depend on the thickness of your fish or size of your prawns.
6. Line a plate with paper towels and transfer the cooked fish or prawns to the plate.
7. Assemble your burger and dive in. Serve with home-made fries and aioli. ENJOY!
This article is reproduced with permission of