Air-dried seared squid on rice with caper mayo
We love having this when we’re just kicking back and enjoying a chilled evening. The taste of this meal in a bowl will just leave you salivating. The mixture of mustard and wasabi gives a bit of heat which is then blanketed by the sweet finish from the kabayaki sauce.
- 1 fresh squid (gutted and cleaned)
- 15-20 capers
- 1/2 cup of mayonaise
- Kabayaki sauce (sweet sauce)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Wasabi (garnish and dipping)
- Cut squid lengthways into an envelope and score in a crisscross pattern and leave to air-dry for an hour
- While squid is drying, mix mustard powder, capers and mayo in a bowl and crush capers lightly
- Once the squid is dry, slice in a 2 x 7cm strips
- Place rice in a bowl and place squid strips along the rice bowl.
- Apply kabayaki sauce to squid before blow torching the squid to get that seared caramelised taste!
- Serve with the special caper mayo and a dash of wasabi.
This article is reproduced with permission of
New Zealand Fishing News
December 2018 - Jun Park, Ben Tupaea and Rudee Lim
Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited