Recipe courtesy of Kezza
1) Secure an amount of bog standard 'on special' beef schnitzel (24 pieces fills a 6 rack Bradley)
2) cut in to strips with the grain of the meat
3) Didn't really take note of measures here for the marinade but it went something like this: mix with meat honey soy, habanero hot sauce, finely chopped up fresh fire-cracker chillies, salt, brown sugar and extra honey.....pretty much any BBQ steak marinade will work here, so get adventurous and don't be afraid to experiment.
4) place all ingredients in VAC PACK and seal being sure not vacuum all of the air out of the bag, so ingredients can be sloshed about and reassigned about the meat every few hours.....a click clack type container would work here I am sure as another option.
5) 2 days later, open bag and arrange beef strips on jerky racks.
6) I placed all 6 racks on top of each other and on to a roasting dish and back in to the fridge for a couple of hours to allow excess marinade a chance to drip away.
Drying and Smoking:
7) 1 hour @ 60degress with no smoke to further dry off surface of meat, flip beef strips around 30mins in to prevent sticking.
8) 3 hours @ 70 degrees with Special Blend Bradley Bisquettes
9) 3 hours @ 80 degrees with no smoke
- from around the end of stage (8) several pieces had been jerkified so removed them and checked every 30minutes taking out any completed product before any had the chance to overcook....there is an easy way to tell if a piece is ready and that is the "bend test" (not sure what it's called but that will do)...basically bend the strip length ways and it should crack and show "white" fibers at the crease...if it snaps it's over done, if it bends like a piece of rubber it's still got some time to go.
This lot came out just perfect and has a sweet taste with a fair bite that sneaks up but really is superb....for a $25 net investment on today's jerky I worked it out to be near $450 - $500 worth of commercially available Jerky.....some 150 odd pieces that are at least twice as big as the packet stuff and infinity better from a taste point of view!!