Using a downrigger can be very helpful. Here are a few tips.
- Never forget to raise the downrigger as you get into shallow water, or you
will get hung on the bottom and may tear the outrigger off of your boat.
- As you let it down, keep the line on your rod as tight a possible to avoid
getting a large 'bow' in your line above the ball. Some fisherman maintain a
bow above the ball can cause you to miss the strike. When fishing for big game
a bow can provide the opportunity for the fish to swallow the bait and ensure
a better hookup rate. A large bow however also has a tendency to pickup a lot
of weed and trash.
- You should troll more slowly than the normal speed for billfish, kings,
and MahiMahi. The faster you go the more shallow the ball will be in the
- As a general rule, the hotter the water, the deeper you should try the
- When drifting, a live bait is the best possible lure for a downrigger.