Yucatan Knot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yucatan Knot
    Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 9:44pm
wingo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Yucatan knot was featured by Sam Mossman in last months Fishing News. Am I the only person who looks at it and thinks the knot pictured is an Albright knot?

He says the knot is the same as the Albright but it exits the opposite way......I don't know about this. Everywhere I look on the net the Yucatan is quite different, involves a double, and the leader is fed back through the loop in the double. See Yucatan Knot

This shows the braid is twisted around the leader, the FN article diagram shows the leader being twisted around the braid.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the diagram they put in is the wrong one. It seems to be from Geoff Wilson's Knots and Rigs book.

I tried the knot today and it worked great, it is a nice snug, easy to tie knot except you do kneed a double with the loop intact.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 10:05pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't seen the article but the Yucatan knot is not the same as the albright. I like the yucatan as it has a nice slim profile and it is easy to end up with equal lengths of each 'leg' of the double when you tighten up the knot, unlike the albright. I don't find the yucatan suitable for thicker leader (e.g. > 100lb) though, as I find the knot quite hard to pull up tight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BarneyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 9:11pm
BarneyC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Can't remember the article but Cicada seems to swear by the yucatan knot.

If anyone can post a nice detailed how-to I'll give it a go and see if it's any better than the usual grannyBig%20smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 11:10pm
wingo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

BarneyC go to:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_yucatan.html

Try it out, like I said it is great but the disadvantage to me is you need a double with the loop intact. So if you want replace your leader you must either retie a double (wasting expensive braid) or revert to one of the other knots like back to back uni.

As sooshee says a couple of advantages are "it has a nice slim profile and it is easy to end up with equal lengths of each 'leg' of the double when you tighten up the knot". I think it is very easy to tie as well providing you can count the 15 turns ;^)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rank Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2007 at 10:00am
Rank Amateur View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sarted using it last weekend - and I like it a lot...  If you're careful you can also cut the leader and keep the loop intact - with a little bit of care you can cut the leader at the rod end of the knot and unpick it - takes a few minutes but quicker than retying a new double!