FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 178179180
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

Got 3 shots in this morning.
1 landed, another I blew[struck to soon] and the other wouldn't eat.
I rekon this one is my favouriteso far, real pretty fish, all chromed up on the sides and suttle greens on top.
real fatty too.

Wow well done great king
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saltflyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
saltflyfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a great morning with you guys, pleased we found some fish.
I will send some more photos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wolfie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 11:54pm
wolfie5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by saltflyfish saltflyfish wrote:

I had a great morning with you guys, pleased we found some fish.
I will send some more photos

Yes that a great outing, got some photos to send your way as well.

Opened my eyes to more potential spots around the Auckland and Manukau - obviously one can get blinkered into thinking fish are only in a few certain places. Thumbs Up

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wolfie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 33 minutes ago at 5:03pm
wolfie5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got out on the sandbanks this afternoon with the wee wifey to keep some momentum on her casting practice ... a strong Nor 'easter blowing straight in made the casting a challenge but she got some good ones away. Water was a bit muddied and shallow so no surprises on the lack of fishy response.

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 10 minutes ago at 5:26pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Learnt something today,
when its a bit choppy, don't use crease or popper style flys

twice presented to same fish, twice he accepted and opened up his mouth to consume,
but twice the movement of the swell pushed the fly to the crest of a wave and away from the fishys mouth.
murphys law ment that by the time I clicked onto this and changed to a deceiver the fishys all disappeared to werever  it is they disappear too!
all good,

tell ya what tho, that view ya get looking down their throats,is something else.
the great abyss of doom for them little baitfish.

also tried a new Crease fly id tyed which had a bit of that shiny stick on scale sticker.
rejected,
ty on my basic 'Estimulater',which is just colored brown and black spots with a sharpie.
yip, ill eat that.

suppose its that old thing were just because it looks cool,dont mean it is cool!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wolfie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 47 minutes ago at 5:49pm
wolfie5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heads up for any looking a swoffing bargain - found these Black magic teaser flies selling for 5 for $5.95. Reckon they'd be a useful pattern for kahawai as small enough to cover whitebait /anchovies and on quite decent hooks. Only issue would be the kirbed bend, but sure some persuasion with a pair of pliers could set them straight.
(Also available in red and green - Merry Christmas!)

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wolfie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 44 minutes ago at 11:52pm
wolfie5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's been a while since I've been updating my site, so done a piece from the recent trip out with Matt on Saltfly and some other aspects of the trip are to follow soon.

Enjoy!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 25 minutes ago at 6:11am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good going Adam and Wolfie Thumbs Up I've been sitting here at 5am thinking about going out, but we still have easterlies and waves of drizzly rain are washing over the hill Unhappy. It's tough being in the Bay of Islands in a La Nina weather year! Still, it's encouraging a few holidaymakers to go home Clap. Fishing should be good when the weather finally lets me out. Looks like Wednesday or Thursday now by the weather map.
Page  <1 178179180