What affects will these floods have ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What affects will these floods have ?
    Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 10:03am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

The previous floods about a year ago left several rivers / streams such as the Whininaki almost decimated & others like the Ruakituri significantly knocked about.
Most have not had a chance to begin recovery & now have this latest dumping to contend with.
Guess we can expect that the rivers less affected will be far more crowded.  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:42am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a talk with a Murupara based guide yesterday and he said that all the the local rivers bounced back well after the weather bombs of the last 2 years and he expected the same this time. See the Tongariro??? 700 Cumecs!!!!!! Pinch
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:33pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

I had a talk with a Murupara based guide yesterday and he said that all the the local rivers bounced back well after the weather bombs of the last 2 years and he expected the same this time. See the Tongariro??? 700 Cumecs!!!!!! Pinch

Geez Nick ... can but hope his assessment is accurate.

Forgive me if this sounds negative, but I have NEVER known a tackle store, motel proprietor or a fishing guide that has EVER declared a negative situation in their area.

Only to be expected I guess when your livelihood depends largely on the perception of prospective customers.

Having said that no one would be more "over the moon" if such areas did bounce back short term but imo would seem unlikely on the basis of my recent observations.

Time for another trip to CXI perhaps ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:07pm
Tiggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had been quite keen to fish the Otaki river after watching the troutboyz  video on youtube. This Christmas, I found the time to spend a couple of hours on the lower Otaki and as far as I could picture, exactly the same water as Andrew had fished.
I dont think I am a bad fisherman and and quite good at spotting fish, in fact my fishing friends use me as a spotter. However, on the same water, I not only didnt catch a fish but didnt even see one. The day wasnt good for spotting so I accepted that but fished carefully and methodically.
 So why not? The only answer I can come to is the very heavy floods over the past winter may have washed the fish away. Not very logical but perhaps big floods may have more effect than we realise. The only other explanation I could come up with was that the water temperature may have caused fish movement either up or down the river, again not a good answer.

Owen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:41am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have found the Waikato & King Country streams to have less fish than usual. Streams that I often get 10 to 15 in a day (best 30+) have had 5 in 3 visits from Oct to Dec.
Could be just me....don't think I'm getting better with age.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:40pm
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fear not Bazza, there are still fish in the Whirinaki

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:04pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Well done Fergie .... don't recognise the area in the background but suspect it is upriver ass appears to have retained some fish holding structure whereas down river from the Murapara bridge it sesembles a canal rather than a river.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:34am
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Well done Fergie .... don't recognise the area in the background but suspect it is upriver ass appears to have retained some fish holding structure whereas down river from the Murapara bridge it sesembles a canal rather than a river.

Yeah I drove over that bridge a few months ago and was shocked at the state of the river. I did see a fair few juvenile fish so hopefully the trout population can recover in the coming years if the flood did wipe a few out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:44pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by fergie82 fergie82 wrote:

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Yeah I drove over that bridge a few months ago and was shocked at the state of the river. I did see a fair few juvenile fish so hopefully the trout population can recover in the coming years if the flood did wipe a few out.

Am inclined to think if all things were equal, then there would be no problem replacing any of the population that have been lost. However with the current canal like structure of the river from the bridge down, is I would imagine, not a very appealing environment for the fish to inhabit or for the nymph life either for that matter