Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 109110111112113 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:28pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers. Jiggy jig. 70 metres. Good sign at the bottom, but hit towards the surface.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:43pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

North reef was sharky as per the norm. Couple gents jigging there first thing said they had lost all their fish to the taxman.

Went supermarket shopping in a spot x back at tuts coast for crays and then had a play on hmnzs waikato proceeding to nip over to taiharuru to bowl a few snaps for the bin.

Left the knights fairly early got back to the coast line at around 11am.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

North reef was sharky as per the norm. Couple gents jigging there first thing said they had lost all their fish to the taxman.

Went supermarket shopping in a spot x back at tuts coast for crays and then had a play on hmnzs waikato proceeding to nip over to taiharuru to bowl a few snaps for the bin.

Left the knights fairly early got back to the coast line at around 11am.

Do you dive at North Reef? What’s it like? Me and the Mrs got charged by a big bronzie at the northern tip of the Knights a few years ago. Sounds overly dramatic, but that’s exactly what happened. Came from nowhere, charged and stopped a couple of feet from Mrs MB’s face. Disappeared, then came back and did the same thing to me! We were on SCUBA and obviously not spearfishing. Weird, and certainly got the pulse racing!

I’m always impressed with your cray-catching ability. I must be the worst/unluckiest cray diver. And good work on the Waikato too. I dived it many times with tanks. Good going to do it on a breath hold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 2:28pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Launched at Parua Bay this morning. Dropped the anchor in 4.5 meters, between the main channel and Snake Bank. Had a berley bomb going and added some cubed pillies. Caught two Kahawai and lost one that felt like a good size snapper. I might try this spot on the incoming next time. Anyone else still trying in the harbour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:07am
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tried the area just out and around from Parua Bay about a week ago and couldn't catch any snapper worth keeping. 3 weeks ago and recently before that, we were catching lovely pannies in same spots. I'm picking most snapper have buggered off.(certainly from this part of the harbour). I'm very new to the area so next trip will have to head out to deeper water past the heads. Haven't got a clue where to try but everything here looks beautiful and very fishy fishy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:16am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PM sent Jock.Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GoBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 6:12pm
GoBro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Took new little boat for a blat in harbour. Took a softbait rod. Truck loads of Kahawai and hooked snapper around skull creek. Still llenty of Ika in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:41am
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not bad for fishing the harbour in June! What detphs did you fish GoBro?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 7:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Do you dive at North Reef? What’s it like? Me and the Mrs got charged by a big bronzie at the northern tip of the Knights a few years ago. Sounds overly dramatic, but that’s exactly what happened. Came from nowhere, charged and stopped a couple of feet from Mrs MB’s face. Disappeared, then came back and did the same thing to me! We were on SCUBA and obviously not spearfishing. Weird, and certainly got the pulse racing!

I’m always impressed with your cray-catching ability. I must be the worst/unluckiest cray diver. And good work on the Waikato too. I dived it many times with tanks. Good going to do it on a breath hold.

Ah Mighty mate, north reef is basically the sharkiest place I can think of in our backyard for kingies. Each time we are there we ask ourselves whether or not the fish is worth $160 for a new shaft (the likely hood the fish gets taxed is in the 85% category. Chances the shaft goes with it is up there too) So basically don't shoot any kingfish unless over 30kg, otherwise its not really worth the risk for the reward.

Bronzies happy days, not a problem yet to lose a fish to any shark to date. Just play it smart, but Makos had some experiences with them that are just nuhp. no thank you. they have weird looks in their black eyes that... it just means its time to exit the water LOL

As per the crays, just flick me a PM next time you are going out and I'll happily give you some places to check out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GoBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 1:54am
GoBro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished sign on top water and where skull creek flows into harbour. South bank of main harbour channel.
https://youtu.be/06f1aQu8Axw
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 1:05pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The new waka looks great! Looks stable and will be cheap as to run.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 2:24pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great video pal. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
That wee Cat, can fairly get along.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Packed the little lazer up this morning at 5am in hopes to be out on the water watching the sun crack the horizon. Took mum and the pup out. It took a bit longer than expected as it was the first time the pup has been out on the boat and she started off a little shakey and nervous. None the less shes a true salty dog at heart once the foreign noise of the mighty suzi became the norm.

Mum landed a 44cm snap off the old woman in the same time I had shot a 45cm snapper (as I shot the little one a 15lber popped out of the kelp behind it. Whoopitiydoo..)
Had a school of KY surround me and soon followed some large kingfish.. Went for the biggest of the bunch and the 110cm gun with 3 bands didnt have the grunt to get through the fish stopped on the backbone im assumung.. Headed back to the boat a bit guttered hoping I didnt kill a nice big king for no reason. Mission successful feed for the family accomplished..

Whipped the anchor up plonked mum in 27m off guano headed for the weedline.. First dive school of kingfish once again fairly respectable size.. Plucked the smaller one ended up being 110cm in length.. Now the bin is excessively filled.

Spent the rest of the morning diving along the old woman.. Messing about checkinf all those bigger boulders and drop offs that seem to always have some jokers line tangled around them. ended up seeing over 10 20lbers and it was seriously testing my ability to not kill one of them.

Absolutely awesome to see the big boys still hanging around. Plenty of koeheru however its spelt around. Bugger all sign of small snapper I only mainly saw big boys all day.

Water temp was 16degrees and it felt like it with holey gloves and bootys. Could be about time to use warm water to get into the wetsuit with.

The pup fell asleep on the run home with the little lazer doing 33mph up the harbour just shy of 5000rpm. I reckon shes going to make a good boat buddy later in life.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice JAS and well done on restraining yourself!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:04pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice writeup JAS. Looks like you have a fishing buddy for life. If you lose the dog during the day, check in the boat!

If its no too much to ask, not keen on harmimg big fish either so was here much in the way of good eater size around the area?

Cheers
T
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 6:52am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by NZTurtle NZTurtle wrote:

Nice writeup JAS. Looks like you have a fishing buddy for life. If you lose the dog during the day, check in the boat!

If its no too much to ask, not keen on harmimg big fish either so was here much in the way of good eater size around the area?

Cheers
T

Mum was managing to catch the 30-44cm range snaps consistantly which was a surprise as we didnt bother with berley just had bits of old KY from out of the freezer.

Im heading out tomorrow morn and will report back on my findings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:09am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing was too good this morning. Launched from Parua Bay at 0630, fishing by 0700. First three drops with inchiku resulted in three good snapper, maybe around 10lb, then a 40cm fish came aboard. Caught in 50 metres and blown, so in the chilly bin they went. Stopped snapper fishing as anything further would have been surplus. Had a jig for kingfish, no takers. Packed up at 0830, back at ramp by 0900. Hate winter, but can't complain about the fishing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:30am
Platinum
Platinum

Ripper! but man thats too short of a day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:42am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, maybe I should get some more children to feed LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GoBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 6:02pm
GoBro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great day early today. Got a feed out 3 mile with some good size snapper and a cod. Went down old woman for a gander heap of fish on surface but just wanted an excuse to take new boat for a blat

Page  <1 109110111112113 129>