Waterproof Reel by packing grease ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2Hulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterproof Reel by packing grease ?
    Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 5:31am
2Hulls View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all,

At this time of the year I love leaving the boat at home and paddling around in the kayak. The thing I don't like are seized reels because they have gone under water. How would completely packing the reels in grease work to help keep the water out ?. If there is no space for the water it should stay out longer ?. Will the excessive grease harm the reel, I wouldn't think so but would appreciate all your good advice.

Thanks
I think it is just disgusting how everyone has treated Lance Armstrong, especially after what he achieved wining races while competing on drugs. When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bike.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 6:05am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

It possibly wouldnt be good for the reel.. Its like with oil in your car they say never to overfill it etc ... Maybe same principle with your reels??
And i am sure i have read in manuals etc that when they say to use grease in certain spots to use sparingly and i gather the idea of that is that you have enough to provide the lube it needs but if use too much it could start making things not work properly etc if that sounds right.
Every time they take a dunking you need to get them straight in for a service etc... Im picking it is the only way to stop them seizing, others will correct me if wrong Wink
It is a good sounding idea tho in principle
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 6:35am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not wrong Smelli....

NO!!! do not!! load your reel with excess grease, will slow it down & yes some moving parts will not work properly..... cause more harm than good...
Best to wash it out dry it then regrease if you know what your doing...
I've siezed more than a few bearings over the years, such is fishing.

What you can do is either buy good reels with the high end parts like water proof bearings etc
or learn how to keep your gear serviced. I can service mine but hands too big for the little fiddly parts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 8:10am
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if you get your reels serviced regularly it shouldn't matter if they get the odd dunk
as long as you look after them IE a good wash with fresh water and inox

the avit reels would be great i have a mate who has one apparently all internals are stainless steel and to clean em you put in a bucket if fresh water and wind the handle a few times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 8:17am
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi 2Hulls, you may want to check out this link on the forum. http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/reel-questions_forum87.html

It has been recommended to me to get your reels serviced before you put them away for the year, not when you you pull them out at the beginning of spring. That way the salt hasnt hardened and you will beat the mad dash to get your reel done. I would recommend Steve at Swordfish (on forum) and Jeff Murray situated in Green Bay. Both have good reputations. Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 8:21am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Buy top quality gear and keep it well maintained. That's is all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:43pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

a light coating of grease is ok and will keep any water from creating problems when soaked...
put the grease on with a small paint brush, just like if you where painting something...
Morey's grease Marine deals sells this grease, best you will ever find...
hit me to check it out,   
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 3:11pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi All, I would not recommend packing reels Full of grease however a good coating on all moving parts certainly help as far as preventative corrosion goes, for game reels I do coat everything with Inox MX8 grease internally, drag fibre washers are best lubed with Cals drag lube, for spinning fixed spool reels then you can put a bit more inside than normally for protection of parts from corrosion, small baitcasters are very effected by too much grease, so a light smear over moving parts and oil level wind parts , do not get carried away here as grease does effect casting, as far as Waterproofing with grease then not the best idea as some reels will Never be waterproof, so to sum up then you can't beat having your reel professionally serviced every year over WINTER so you know it is right for the season, PLEASE DO NOT leave your reels covered in salt over winter then expect us to rebuild them the day before Xmas for $20 That is NOT POssible!
cheers Steve  Wink
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 3:47pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi 2Hulls I recently purchased one of the new(ish) Penn Spinfisher V3500 reels for fishing from the Kayak, specifically because a review I read mentioned how well it was sealed in all the right places. Its pretty cheap for a good sb reel, bit heavy but very smooth and really robust. My gear always gets wet on the yak, and I wash it well afterwards, but its good to know the gear is built to get wet. I was continually stripping down, cleaning and re-greasing other reels as they would slowly start to bind up, despite a good wash after every outing.
Got mine from Fishing Direct in Silverdale, he's local for me and best price I found round town for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 5:18pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Listen to Lethal and Swordfish Steve guys, he does my higher end reels, but for the stuff I do myself, eg Eggbeaters I use Vaseline under the hood and around seals/o rings, coat screws and bolts in it also, otherwise if the innards are coated nicely as described by Steve then put a smear around sealing areas where the plates/sides meet and with screws it is a must to coat, and check 2-3 -4 times a year.

Penn Oil and Abu Garcia oil for bearings and don't overdo...

To me most reasonable to good quality reels have gears and shafts that are reasonably corrosion resistant, the two main areas to suffer are cover and side plate screws and bearings...

Anyway just my ten cents worth...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau