Wanganui Sea Fishing.

Page  <1 4142434445 46>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 8:36pm
paul_fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, went out again today. We caught tons of Tarakihi. Then, the unexpected catch came in. It was a Hapuka at 30m! This is just a baby one only 10Kg. Good fight good day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:27pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

AwesomeClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:20pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work.
I fished many times at or around 30m, never heard of Puka in that close.
Lovely surpise catch there.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 5:43pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Guys
Perhaps this is not the right thread for this question, but haven't found anything for Opunake or New Plymouth yet and thought maybe some of you could be familiar with that area. 
I'm heading to Opunake, from Tauranga, next weekend for an unveiling and thought it would be crazy not to pack a rod or 3 since I will be passing plenty of river mouths on the way down (I would have brought the jet ski too, but, due to an injury, won't be fishing from that for another month or two). 
I've heard that flicking out spinners around the river mouths can be quite productive for big fat Kahawai (I may even bring the fly fishing gear and get back into some of that, if I can learn to cast with my other arm). 
Rather than trial and error, as I will only be down for a day or so, I thought I would ask on this great forum for recommendations for spots to try, or alternative options, maybe beach fishing somewhere with bait? In fact, when my bung arm is better (note; limited casting distances at the moment) I am keen to get down there in the future and try for some of those offshore fishies! 
Any information will be gratefully received and perhaps I could return the favour if anyone is heading over to Tauranga (I caught a 45cm Snapper in the harbour - land based this morning about 500m from my house - home by 7.15). 
Cheers
Cliff 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 7:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, I went out yesterday. It turned out impressive. I drove around and suddenly serious snapper signs appeared on my screen. Then, I dropped the bit and "Snapper Madness" happened. They seemed very hungry and angry. The big one attacked my kingfish jig. We caught a limit for 4 fishers in an hour. After that, we just caught and released. All caught by rods & reels. Plenty of Kahawai but mostly released.

Hows everyone doing?

Cheers
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 9:16pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good to see they are out there biting! - we are heading out tomorrow, im guessing half of the lower north island will be too.

if you see a blue 14.6v (D.C) out there with sad fishers out there come tell us where the fish are Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:52pm
Silver
Silver

Saturdays efforts - boat ramp was chocka! great morning of fishing, was non stop 0800 till about 1030. Had to start throwing things under 35cm back cause they looked to small. Boats Snapper PB 62cm, funny when you take a chick out fishing the pull the biggest ones.

Im the ugly one on the left - no not her, your other left.

Hope all the rest who were out had a good day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 10:48pm
Bronze
Bronze

Great work Neil! you must be a happy fisherman by now Wink 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:14pm
Silver
Silver

anyone been out recently?? My wee boats blown its stator so just waiting for the boat account to fill up before we fix her.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:30am
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone been out today? flat as and warm. We managed to get a feed of tarakihi, gurnard, fat blue cod and 82cm monster snapper. Tons of spiny dogs and cuds. Overall, very good winter fishing this season. Happy fishing guys

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:20am
Silver
Silver

Wicked stuff - weather looked smashing for a day out there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Frewza F14 man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 7:45pm
Frewza F14 man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I am new to Wanganui fishing. I've got a little frewza F14 that I'm hoping to take out and get onto some Blue Cod and Tarakihi. Can anyone point me in the general direction to head and the depth. I've heard that Turakina Ridge can be good. I know where Turakina is but I have no idea on the depth to go. Also does anyone have the spot x book. I'm thinking of getting one but I want to know weather it actually has wanganui spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi 
The spot x book will give you some good general areas to start looking.
From the dusty recesses of my memory, I think I have caught terikhi and blue cod off the spot x Turakina spot.
Closer to launching is Kai Iwi. Start at 10 metres and work your way out deeper until you find fish.
Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 2:56pm
Silver
Silver

Hey mate, I run a 14.6 out wangas on a mint day. Thats point number 1, its real exposed out there. So make sure your checking you weather reports - in smaller boats out there I have found soon as the wind picks up the chop is about 20mins behind it.

I havent found many reliable spots, kinda need to chase the fish on your sounder a tad. I tend to pick up snapper in about 40ft of wtaer just opposite the airport. some gurnard there too. Sometimes its ancor up and wait - others its drift and chase.

There is always kaiwhia running out that way

Alot of people with the style "spots" your talking about go to to Patea traps, that seems to be where the blue cod are. 

its a very flat sandy bottom that has very little variation.

good luck!

Originally posted by Frewza F14 man Frewza F14 man wrote:

Hi, I am new to Wanganui fishing. I've got a little frewza F14 that I'm hoping to take out and get onto some Blue Cod and Tarakihi. Can anyone point me in the general direction to head and the depth. I've heard that Turakina Ridge can be good. I know where Turakina is but I have no idea on the depth to go. Also does anyone have the spot x book. I'm thinking of getting one but I want to know weather it actually has wanganui spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Frewza F14 man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 8:27pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:10pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by paul_fishing paul_fishing wrote:

Has anyone been out today? flat as and warm. We managed to get a feed of tarakihi, gurnard, fat blue cod and 82cm monster snapper. Tons of spiny dogs and cuds. Overall, very good winter fishing this season. Happy fishing guys

mean cod :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:56pm
Bronze
Bronze

I do find blue cod either monster size or baby size lol hard to say. Snapper has been great but nothing monster.  Kingi has been really consistent lately. I do get 1-2 every trip.  All you need is a fast and big jig. hope you all do well! tight line guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:03pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

anyone been out there chasing the tuna over the weekend just been,certainly was flat enough to cruise around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:30pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sundays effort 
nice trav turned up, a little early I thought for them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Frewza F14 man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:10am
Bronze
Bronze

Nice JD and Tarakihi Grumpy Smurf, what direction and depth would you recommend going to get onto these if you don't mind me asking?
Page  <1 4142434445 46>