Forum Trip 21st September

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Trip 21st September
    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 5:25pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First forum trip for Northside Adventures was a good one. A small but enthusiastic crew of myself, Formtool and Greg met early at Sandspit wharf. It was great to meet you both. Thanks for making the effort to drive up and also for giving the lures a go too.

I was debating which way around to do the trip - in the end I decided to head 50 km'ish over to where they were on the last trip, then probably head south. 
Arriving at last weeks drift lines we were met by dolphins and birds. No workups but all the signs were there - most importantly, sign on the bottom in 50m. 
I figured we'd see what developed around us and go hunting if we needed to. After a brief intro to lure fishing, the lures were sent down. Turned out didn't really need any instruction. 
We were into solid fish from the first drop. It was all over quite quickly. Orange kaburas and pink/lumo combos working as expected. 

I also had a crack with some new 10 inch Zmans in nuked pilchard (blue and white) on a 4 oz lumo head with VMC jigging hook. Got nailed straight away by a couple of nice snapper. Very encouraging and lots of fun with the line peeling off the Poseidon slow jigging reels. So far, they are proving to be perfect for the job. 
Bin was filled quickly with quality snapper to around 15lbs. 

What to do next......it has been tough around Kawau recently but we'd got what we needed out wide. Back across it was to try some shallow water catch and release with the softbaits. 
I'd barely finished explaining 'how to' when Formtool hooked a solid fish second cast on a Zman new penny. Again, no instruction really needed and after a quick pic a snapper of around 4kgs was sent on it's way. 

Hopefully see you again when you're 10kgs...

The last couple of hours on softbaits were very slow as the fishing died away but we'd had the best of it by then and were ready to head backBig smile

www.northsideadventures.co.nz
www.facebook.com/northsideadventures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 5:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice! Pretty hard to fill those last minute charters but good on you JW for putting on the opportunity for the fishing.netters.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:27am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clearly a great trip out as the photos indicate.Some top fish there. Fish that many can only dream about. Well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:48am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well done Jon, some nice fish and a shame more f.net members didnt jump on board
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 12:58pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers. It was very short notice and a weekday. The fishing is so good out there at the moment - the weather window had to be taken.Makes for a quick trip though. 
Good job we had the softbait rods on board to do some shallow water stuff. That side of things will only get better. Would have been good to have some livebaits in the tank as well. Next time....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:57am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome Boo, you've got it dialed in by the looks!  Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:56am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's very fishy up around there Boz. I'd like to head over to Great Barrier for the next trip once this system blows through. Looks like Saturday could be a good day at the moment.Thumbs Up