Automatic Bennett Trimtabs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automatic Bennett Trimtabs.
    Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:24am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im contemplating fitting some tabs to my Surtees. Have seen that Bennett make the "Auto Trim Pro" which from what I have seen on line is a neat system that adjusts tabs automatically. Theres no messing around with buttons while on the move, everything is taken care of by electronic brain, including trimming the boat due to shifting crew weight and auto tabs up and down etc when stopped.
Anyone had any experience with this system?  I was looking at the bolt 12v system tabs... not hydro. Boat is a 575 ht.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:40am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would e interested to hear how people find the auto tab system works on a trailer boat. I was running a 45fter with auto tabs last week and didn't feel they were doing a really good job. Not my boat so may have been to do with the setup but didn't rate their intelligence very high.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:54pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmmm interesting. Tagit was it a Bennett system or another brand?.
Im not one to get suckered by flashy promo videos.... ( although I nearly brought an ETEC a few years back)
But if what they are stating is true it almost makes standard systems obsolete.....at a cost. Its about $1000 for the control box. 
Yeah I could imagine that if it started having issues it would be a right PITA.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:37pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Put trim tabs on the last two Surtees, definitely worth while.
As far as the auto bit I'd be nervous but then haven't read or looked at them.
The manual ones I find require minimal adjustment and are not a hassle to adjust providing the controls are in a good location.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 7:04pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steps must have a 3000 word essay of his opinion on this topic...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 7:22pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Hmmm interesting. Tagit was it a Bennett system or another brand?.
Im not one to get suckered by flashy promo videos.... ( although I nearly brought an ETEC a few years back)
But if what they are stating is true it almost makes standard systems obsolete.....at a cost. Its about $1000 for the control box. 
Yeah I could imagine that if it started having issues it would be a right PITA.
Not sure of the brand but could watch the Tab settings doing their auto adjust thing. This was a one off experience on a larger boat so will be interesting to hear what others have found on trailer boats. I haven't found that on any of our boats with Tabs that there was enough ongoing adjustment required to make paying for the auto function worthwhile. One exception might be a deep V fine entry hull like some of the popular alloy boats run to get a soft ride. They can be a bit more tender and need a bit more Tab work especially if they are say under 6.5m size. Someone who has a set on a trailer boat might say they are awesome so lets see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:56am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My father had them in his 38 foot Vindex.

The system was a little too fussy about roll and corrected it more often than necessary, where a helmsman would have let the boat to come back to level naturally.  It did a great job maintaining the pitch, which saved a lot of diesel.

It had fly-bridge so tended to be little top heavy so I think on balance the system performed solidly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:22pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah the more I think about it..... It might just be better to stick with standard tabs.
I have noticed my boat is very sensitive to weight distribution. Even filling up the livey tank has it on a bit of a lean. Have to to a bit of adjusting with the Maori trim tab... aka the chilly bin to level things up when under way most of the time.
And yeah Otto....i couldnt agree more about button location. Been in a couple of boats where buttons are partially obscured by steering wheel which aint ideal. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red89mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:37pm
red89mx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have not tried the auto tabs.  Put some lencos on my Surt 6.1 a number of years ago and the adjustment buttons are not that much of a hassle.

I really only need them when on Solo mission, strong side winds or carrying fishers who do not appreciate dynamics of boat balance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Namu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:04pm
Te Namu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've got a a Zipwake system on a new boat I've picked up recently, and I've been really pleased so far.

I'm surprised at how well the auto function on this system works, and so far its better than manual adjustment - although that may also be because I'm still getting used to the ride in various sea conditions, so there is probably some operator error in play.
Probably better in controlling roll than pitch on auto, and vice versa in manual mode.
I need a few more miles, but I'm a fan at this stage particularly of the interactive display which gives me plenty of data to match I what think is happening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 4:44pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Does a Zipwake system work on smaller boats?. Seen a few on launchs etc. I cant seem to get my head around the fact that its only a blade being lowered into the water edge on that does all the work. Pretty sure steps would be able to give us a full hydro dynamic explanation. 
Do they work at lower speeds? And what size boat you got em fitted to Te Namu?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 3:00am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have used the blade types( interceptors) on a large cat, they are very efficient, this boat was 44ft carbon E glass construction, 45knots wot, the tabs would lower the bow so much that it was hard to helm, I would use them again on any boat as there are no plates hanging off the transom.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Namu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 2:50pm
Te Namu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mine are fitted to a 8.9m boat. Work fine at low planing speed - although I haven't tried them trolling yet.
They work on a pretty basic principle, so I would imagine that they'll work as effectively on a smaller boat assuming the system specification and sizing is done correctly