Mokau Winter Snap Slaying!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (8) Likes(8)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mokau Winter Snap Slaying!!!
    Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 10:15pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, been a while waiting, Studying Swellmap for an opening, then finally made the call to go with Aaron early thismorn over the bar in his big ally center console. Dressed in wetsuits and jackets as it was bluddy cold with Snow right down on Mountain and ranges. couple of knarly waves on bar, but through smooth as on to fish'n groundsBig smile Came across some huge Kahawai Schools first, got the lures out and in a short time had ten in the bin for Bait. They were spewing up whitebait in the boat, a good sign for the coming season! Aaron likes to fish alot deeper than i do in the Mac, being his boat he was calling the shots. All i said if the Spikey Dogs were thick out there we come in close, luckily he agreed. Started off good, a few small Snaps before the Spikies got Bad,bad bad. Wasn't long before we were out of there and on the hunt for bigger SnapsSmile In close where i do most of me winter fishing was the filth line where the dirty water from river meets clean seawater. Its good to anchor up near it as fish feed on the bottom, all the bits and pieces. So down went the Pic, before long the Straylines out with Kahawai Fillets and heads. Aarons become a convert to Straylining over the last few months fishing a few times with me and the results you can achieve. First hour, nothing, second only one small Snap but no sharks. then Aarons at me to move....I convince him a bit longer! no sooner as i said it one of me reels starts screaming off. Here we go they are here, knew straight away a big Snap! Played it in a nice fish 7 kg. Off went another, this time Aarons rod, Hooked into and landed same sort of size. Started chunking our frames up over the side every now and then to keep then around. Wot happened over the next two hours was Mayhem. We landed around 25 Snaps kept ten, let the rest goConfused I was trying hard out for a 30 lb da but couple of 20's i let go was best i could do.  Aaron kept his biggest, a fish close to 10 kg. Few photo's from a great day- The Filth line, Aaron playing a goodie in on the old Jellytip, His best fish of day and the others we kept. Cheers All...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 11:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice Geoff,yip sure would be cold down your way and busy roads last few days,only way south for 2 days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:29am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aaron and Geoff that's the best winter snap sesh I've seen for a while. No 30 lber! Your losing your touch Geoff. The little Mac must be getting withdrawal's. Well done guy's.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:49pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great effort interesting about the "filth" line....damn spiny dogs
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:35pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Speechless    Thumbs Up  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:42pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very niceThumbs Up
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonga-tui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:22am
tonga-tui View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one geoff, we got out over the bar at tongaporutu on Saturday got a great feed nothing of great size though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:00am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up Shot.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar