Everywhere in the Gulf - Report

Post Options Post Options   Likes (9) Likes(9)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everywhere in the Gulf - Report
    Posted: 14 May 2017 at 8:43am
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So, on Thursday last week I got a phone call from a mate up in Whangaparaoa asking me if I was free for a fishing mission. I've checked with the boss and she gave me a free pass for Saturday and Sunday. Sweet.

Went to work on Friday and asked the work boss if I could have Monday off which was also not a problem. As I already had confirmed even without other approvals, now was time to start late planning.

Called my mate and the plan was a bit all over the show as the weather was supposed to be mint. So I got home, put 5 combos together (topwater, jigging/livebaiting, bottom fish, softbait/slowjig, and sabiki), put some bait and some groceries together, some beers and I was ready to leave Tauranga to Whagaparaoa on Saturday early morning to leave Gulf Harbour early noon.

Got to the bro's house, loaded up his lovely Whitepointer 7m hardtop with all the gear, food, beers, fuel (a lot of it), and we were in the water by 14.30hs.

2 minutes from the ramp and we were into the livies straight way. Loaded the live well and off to Shearer Rock where we caught 3 legal kingies in 10 min. All looked like the stars were aligned to what would turn into an epic unplanned trip.

From Shearer Rock we headed to Anchorite which was a bit disappointing. Stick baits, jigs nor livies were working in there.

Stretching a little bit and we were at Channel Island and livies were back in the drink. It didn't take too long til I was hooked up. Pretty quick I realised I have never had a kingy that big in the end of my line before. It was at the end of the arvo, beginning of the eve. Good decent fight and soon enough I could see colour. Wow, that was my PB right there, so close. Lucky enough the skipper secured my fish with a beautiful gaff shot. Just over 25kg.

As the sun was going down pretty quick, the skipper decided we should head to Port Jackson and overnight in there and be in to the fishing as soon as we got up.

Sunday we woke up to another beautiful day and we were still pumped from the good fish the night before so the fun began again.

Quick stop at Channel is for not much... from there we went to the Pigeons by Great Barrier which also didn't produce anything. From there we headed up to the Miners Head. Again, a lot of drifting for not a hell of a lot of action. We tried everything and everywhere the whole Sunday for not much at all.

So back to south east of Little Barrier, trolled livies all the way around the 10 ~ 15m around Little Barrier. Not much again. We made the decision to start cruising back home stopping at Flat Rock for another attempt.

We tried a couple of small work ups and a few snappers were placed in the bin. Flat Rock didn't help us either so back to Gulf Harbour Marine we went.

All in all, I had a blast cracking my Kingy PB, we covered a lot of ground, the weather helped us with nice flat waters and a good couple of days were had by all of us!

Here are a couple of pics of my new little beast!

Cheers,
FK 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:58am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One happy 😊 pb on the kingi .beats working
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:10pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, perfect couple of days on the water amid superb surroundings. Well done on the big kingie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:48pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool report FK,congrats on the  kingi PBWink Liked.........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 8:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice writing Fred, congrats on that pb king.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:31pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome trip FK. Vouch for ur skipper. Loves the Kingis
BBB
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:08am
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys.

It was an amazing learning experience chasing the kings. The skipper did know what he was after even thou the second day was a bit of a hard one trying to get them on the chew.

Cheers,
FK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:59pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Fred, a PB kingy is one to remember.
P.S I must have been out when you tried dropping off those kingfish steaks
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.