FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another donkey Snapper from the Gulf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote fishwisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another donkey Snapper from the Gulf
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:46pm
fishwisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

One thing I love to do is chase Kings - there's nothing more thrilling than jigging for a King - the hit - then the rod loads up Big smile

Sat was the plan to go and chase Kings on the Gulf - the weather was looking good and the Osprey needed a good run so I decided to a little wide. It was going to be another solo mish so I decided to just take my time. I didn't even get any gear ready the night beforeConfused

Sat morning this was just a slight breeze but the one thing I didn't really like it was a Southerly - out wide that cross wind can get annoying sometimes. I had the boat loaded just after 10.30 and I made my way down to Waiake,  after launching the boat I dropped the pick, parked the car ran back to the boat and I was on my way.

I had 95ltrs onboard so I headed for the horizonBig smile I made my way past Tiri and on the way out there were a few small workups and quiet a few Gannets sitting around, I was after Kings so I made my way out to a spot I jig for Kings. After an hours run  made it to my spot with some solid sign on the Simrad - Lots of baitfish with solid Kingfish sign following.

My first few drifts were pretty slow, and it took a good 30mins before I boated my first King - only a little rat to about 80cm I dropped back over the side, with a lot of sign still there I dropped the jig straight away with another hook up and another little rat around the same size. They weren't schooled up hard so I was able to drift a good 100mtrs with 2-3 hookups each time once I found them....

There were a lot of rats around but I did manage to hook into a couple of better ones only to drop them mid fight - I wasn't going to keep any so didn't really matter but it's always nice to get to see them.

As it got later in the day schools of Kahawai turned up and I could see a lot of small fish like white bait size - the wind had all but gone and it flattened right out to be a mint arvo...

I caught around 40 Kings all up with all going back and most around that 80cm so it was a bummer I dropped a couple of goodies - I had been jigging for around 4-5hrs and my shoulders were shot and with a good hours run back home I headed off an hour before dark - I also wanted to stop off on the way to catch a few Snaps for tomorrow nights dinner... It was to hard to drag myself away from the Kings as it was to much fun but still on the outer of the zone I came across some Dolphins with some nice sign on the Simrad, getting dark I could only get a couple of baits in but that's all I needed.

First bait boom it was a nice Snap to around 3-4lb 2nd bait again but a better fish to about 8-9lb they were solid fish and in top condition - now I was gutted I hadn't left the Kings alone after a couple hours and came across this earlier. As you do I tried one more and this bait didn't even reach the bottom - with line spewing out I flicked the bail over and it was a solid hook up - the rod buckled over and stayed buckled with solid head nods.

It took another 5 or so mins until I saw a solid red reach the surface - man it was a top condition Red to - one of those fish you really want to be fishing with a mate or two to really enjoy it...

It was easy in the double figs and with it taking awhile to raise it wasn't all blown up so I was able to get a pic and watch it power away back down to the depths....

What an "Epic" day it turned out to be chasing Kings on the Gulf and to top the day off a nice Big Red at the end of the dayBig smile

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:11pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Jas very nice 👍
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:28pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When others struggle in the Gulf Jase you make it look easy Wink Top fish'n, Great report and photo's. Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishwisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:05pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

Nice Jas very nice 👍

Cheers Pete - was a fun day that's Forshaw Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishwisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:08pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

When others struggle in the Gulf Jase you make it look easy Wink Top fish'n, Great report and photo's. Cheers....

Cheers Geoff - Just like you knowing how to fish ya backyard - been doing it for 30yrs, a lot has changed and the traffic is 100x more but still good fish there just a little further afield Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:08pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

can i ask what rod & reel set up You are using.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishwisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:39am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Bob 7 Bob 7 wrote:

can i ask what rod & reel set up You are using.

- OH jig combo is a Penn Torque 25N star drag on a Penn Assassin 5ft 3-5PE...The Spin I usually use my Penn Slammer 5500 but took my Clash 5000 for a blast and that was on an Assassin 5'7 3-5PE...And my strayline set is the Penn Regiment 7ft 4-7kg and was running my Clash 4000 but norm use my Slammer 4500....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:23pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

cheers for that.