I Caught Fish (Plural)!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Caught Fish (Plural)!
    Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 10:23am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yahoo!. Wayhay!!. Yabba Dabba Doo!!!

I caught a fish! Several fish actually... But only 2 Keepers. But lots of bites and half a dozen just undersized to whom I gave my cell-phone number and told them to call us when they were bigger.

Yesterday I was guest onboard 'Overdraft' with Steps and Rix and we ventured out to, what I'm told is called, "The Bottom End" of Waiheke Is. and up towards Pakatoa Is.

We arrived at Spot X and Steps announced there was 'sign' on the screen.

So, I unleashed the mighty Okuma 2-pc rod and Shimano 4000 reel loaded up with a Lightbulb 3/8 oz and deadly Bruised Banana Z-Man Jerk Shad (Crazy names, I know) smeared with some Pilchard Secret Sauce. and...

Boom! I caught the first fish of the day!

Wow!! I can't describe the feeling of exhilarating excitement as I wound and pulled, encouraged and guided by Steps and then listened as, drag screaming, the line peeled off when the ginormous snapper ran away to the depths only to tire and be dragged back up to the surface again and again.
Visions of me appearing on "Big Angry Fish" went through my head as I fought this monster of the deep.Wink

Rix assisted by hauling the trace over the side and moments later I was being photographed holding my very first 34cm Giant Snapper (That's a breed isn't it?) LOL

Amazing! I'm so thrilled to be able to look my rod in the eye (Guides) and say "Softbaits DO work!"

I caught another snapper (38 cm) and some smaller ones just undersized as I mentioned.

Then, like all good fishing stories, there was...

"The One That Got Away"

He was even bigger than the 38'r so I reckon he was 40cm in my expert eye.
Just as Rix was holding the leader (20lb mono) the fish bit clean through the trace and disappeared still chewing on my lovely Bruised Banana/lightbulb combo burger.

If you catch him, keep him and PM me with the news. Reward offered for return of the Banana LOL.

So, what a buzz!!

Big thanks to Steps (and Rix) for taking the time to explain & demo techniques, and strategy. For just the offer to go out on the boat, fully prepared, for teaching me how to handle the fish and release the undersized ones carefully. How to gut a fish. (Never done that before)! and the filleting demo back at base.

The guys caught fish on cut baits and softys too. So we came home with fish in the bin and big smiles all round.

I had a great day and learned heaps - But most of all I learnt that Softbaits DO catch fish.  I'm in fishy heaven!

PS. Casting up and working down the drift is now comprehensible to me.  I can read my Mark Kitteridge book with a better understanding.

Also the weather turned a bit grim later in the day and so the decision was made to return early. Lifejackets on and stay safe out there people!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:05am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one! any pics?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:39am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done FO Clap
Guess we can look forward to many more exciting captures & yes, a photo would be good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For us a 'hard day fishing'  but hey as have said so often before  its the day out  and good company.. anything else is bonus.
The solaluner would be one of the worst in a long time..but still brought home a good feed of fish for all families...

Rix and I also dropped the long line... well Rix and John, I just kept the boat straight..   just a short soak  while collected a few muscles for the smoker.
This was ignoring my doc advise that " it would not be a good idea to go for a dive...." as the previous arvo have 3 considerable sized and deep moles take from the side of my face and another 3 from my lower back on 1 side.
But like a good trooper he dressed all the stitches up in water prof dressing anyway.
 As to "Grim"  well dusk was coming on, couple scattered showers past over, and tide had changed and breeze picked up to strong breeze... hit a couple spots on the way home.
Had to drop the cruise speed down to 28 mph for 1/2 the distance back across the Tamaki straight, then hit lea of land and make to normal 33/34 mph without a single bang on a wave...

So the left over fillets, muscles are in the smoker, and 'topped up" with Pork belly strips, meat sausages, and marinated chicken legs... Frames heads gone to the neighbours and skins/ shells in the bin
 Already starting to look for the next weather wind and suitable tides
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:40am
Gold
Gold

You want a pic of the Banana?

Oh... the Fish!!

Here's  - Oops. Can't post a pic for some reason.
It has 'Uploaded' but won't "Preview".

I've posted a query in the Forum Feedback section. As soon as I can I'll post the pic.

Confused

Edit: Pic below.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 12:16pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Uncle & CanadianJohn. And Thanks again Steps.

Added:

*Excess Baggage aka Things I didn't Use*

For this trip I was still sceptical about the (and my) ability of Softbaits to catch fish so I took along other weapons in my arsenal (Tackle Box).

Uncle: I bought a couple of your Flasher Rigs from Top Catch after reading good things about them here.

They are still in their bags, unopened.

I also took along a new Slider Inchiku thingy I purchased for Xmas.

And I had a Jitterbug that I had previously used 'upside down' by attaching at the wrong end (No one told me and why do they have loops at both ends and the middle anyway?)

As well as the above I had some 5/0 Circle hooks and a selection of sinkers to fall back on in the event my 'Lures' were akin to Snake Oil.

All stayed in the box! I had so much fun playing with Softbaits, getting bites and casting out beyond and working back through the 'bitey' area I completely ignored the other possibilities.

To me, the softbaiting was akin to fly-fishing. They 'cast' so easily (Thanks Steps for the tip - this is not Surf-casting!) and working through and getting 'hits' is heaps of fun! Real fun!!

One thing I did to 'edumacate' myself was to play a bit when I had reeled the Softy almost to the surface. I weaved the rod and watched how the bait and head moved in the water sideways and how the rise & fall looked. How the different ones fluttered and how to try and make them look like 'food' for GS - Giant Snapper (like GT Giant Tuna). (I just made that name up) I tried this down at Hobby wharf on Friday night and it was worth it's weight in gold. Even more so out on the clearer water. I recommend all newbies practise this - I will, again and again.

The quandary is to know which style of Softy to load, which colour, weight of head etc. Practice will help with this. We met a chap at the ramp who knew a bit about sounders and radar. His boat was a floating test-bed of electronic trickery from what I could see and he said the Motor Oil (my most recent discovery in the Tackle Shop)was no good for this time of year but my Bruised Banana was a good choice. His Bleeding Chicken was no good either apparently. I also had good hits on a Houdini with curly tail. God this sounds all very technical for a Newbie.!!

And the bonus: I succeeded in my ideal of avoiding Squiddy Smelly Hands Syndrome. Result!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 12:31pm
Gold
Gold

*Things I Did Use*

Secret Sauce - 'Pilchard' yesterday. Better hits with it than without it.

Genie Clips - Steps taught me Leftys Loop but I wanted an easy/quick way to change heads without cutting/re-tying each time (and shortening the leader since I haven't mastered the Bimini Twist yet.)
The Genie clip (Uni Knotted) was ideal. Light and secure (until the 40+ guy bit it off with the Banana) it didn't seem to have any adverse effect on the movement of the bait/head.

I tied a new one on after the bite-off and away we went. Swapped heads and baits a few times - Easy.

Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for posting - always enjoy fishing stories...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 6:23pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done!  First of many, but the thrill of the first is the best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:06pm
Gold
Gold

You're welcome 'Mac'.
Cheers 'brmbrm'. It sure was a thrill. Snapper for dinner tonight. Yum!

Ps. Here's the pic of Fish #1 in the Foxtrot Oscar Hall of Fame. (All 34cm of him and all raw power!)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:15am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well done. It isn't always easy to catch fish and your perseverance paid off.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:26am
Gold
Gold

Cheers Smudge! 

Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:48am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done, Steps, on taking the time to share your boat and experience with a newbie.

I know from taking out my 3-year-old for the first time recently, that it is a real gift you have passed on: absolute joy at catching something, whether it be a bait fish or snapper, whatever.

And the experience of the ups and downs of fishing, catching and losing.

Thumbs up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:48pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done, Steps, on taking the time to share your boat and experience with a newbie.

Took out Rix  elderly Dad last yr, all he had ever fished/ caught was a a little fish off a wharf as a kid, over 80 yrs ago....Hi8m getting bites was like a kid in a lorry shop.. then got his 1st and a few more after that
 The reward of his excitement, the look in his eyes, the adrenaline running even after getting  home and cleaned down filleted the fish...
 Nothing compares to seeing this.
And the Grand children.. a 3 1/2 yr old on the end of my soft bait rod with a stray line on it... hook up...his look..."Granddad got a fish"   "thats my good rod, dont drop it over the side.. and only wind  the line when the fish stops pulling the line at his end"
 Just left him to it.. rod on the gunnels patiently getting it in.. the concentration...Attitude  "Granddad spoke thats it just have to do it now"  The leader came up...then 38/39 cm snapper just in the water....."ok stop winding now" grabbed the trace and pulled it in.
 Dropped it on the floor.... and just watched him.. his expression, taking everything he just done in....
Times like this cant be beat.

And yeah take a few guys out now, show then the ropes... oh yeah.. Rix a few yrs back another... forgot about that... hes hooked big time...
Im no trophy fisherman.. just simply basics and catch a feed...everytime  type fisherman
 And if can pass these baic skills onto others, as other have to me over the last 60 yrs.. what more could a guy ask for?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:01pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

I know from taking out my 3-year-old for the first time recently, that it is a real gift you have passed on: absolute joy at catching something, whether it be a bait fish or snapper, whatever.

And the experience of the ups and downs of fishing, catching and losing.

Thumbs up.

You're so right T.Kid. As they say - I'm hooked! And am so thrilled to have a result with the softbaits.

Thanks again to Steps. (I can't say Thank-You enough!)

Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 10:27pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

'Uncles' sabiki rigs are the dogs bo***ks for catching live baits for Kingies- probably the only bait fishing I do now.
Z-Man Paddle Tails in New penny plus secret sauce = fish

And as for Kingies, having caught my first legal one on a stickbait recently, it's an exhausting exillarating experience. Solo so no one to see my happy face.
Gulp,Opening Night in Nemesis pattern caught the best fish of my last trip a couple of weeks ago, 4kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 1:23am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

'Uncles' sabiki rigs are the dogs bo***ks for catching live baits for Kingies- probably the only bait fishing I do now.
Z-Man Paddle Tails in New penny plus secret sauce = fish

And as for Kingies, having caught my first legal one on a stickbait recently, it's an exhausting exillarating experience. Solo so no one to see my happy face.
Gulp,Opening Night in Nemesis pattern caught the best fish of my last trip a couple of weeks ago, 4kg

Congrats on the Kingfish!

I've got some Paddle Tails in New penny. Just not sure when to change when I was getting good bites on the Bruised Banana?

After use do you put them back into their bag or keep them away from unused ones?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:24pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back in the bag unless they've caught a few fish and are getting ragged.
As to when? Whenever....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:25pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks muchalls (!)

Back in the bag unless they've caught a few fish and are getting ragged. 
 That'll be the 'Science'. 

As to when? Whenever....
 and that'll be the 'Art'...

Smile