FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sharks.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharks.
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 3:32pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 4594
Another great white fatality in wa a few days ago.....17 year old girl surfing......here is my take on it........their portection is ****ing up the fishery both here in western Australia and NZ.
This was my reply to a greenie who reckoned sharks were endangered in auastralia......strange that.......because i contacted a charter operator in Perth and asked them if they could take me out jigging for samson fish...his answer ? " we dont take people to do that anymore because we never can a fish in the boat ! "........anyway.....have a read and feel free to express your thoughts=


My take on "Great white Attacks in Australia"........it is no coincidence that the number of attacks has gone up since 2002 and you cant just blame it on more people in the water.....in the 50/60/70 a lot of people went in the sea all around australia.......a big factor is too many whites over 4 metres swimming around...........they look for large meals ! here is my take on it...a comment i made on one of those save our sharks blogs from the greenies........sorry but they make it all sound lovely and beautiful treatment for our sharks....anyway here we go=
 "The great whites are going into endangered of extinction." This statement is not true......Sharks are flourishing all over australia with the protection they receive.......Unfortunately nobody wants to save big fish........a lot more sharks means a lot more mouthes to feed....meanwhile commercial fishing hammer the stocks of fish that the sharks would and need to eat....If you want to protect sharks ....you need to protect the fishery as well........You cant blame sharks for getting hungry but there is one very big fact you cannot get away from.....once a great white gets to 3 metres plus they go from eating small fish ...squid etc to larger prey items like seals etc........with a lack of big fish around.....Humans look a good size to a white 4 meters and over.......Australia is missing the big picture.......what i would like to know....is where does the fishing licence money go?.....that boat owner pay every year..........Australia needs to kerb commercial fishing......recerational only allows 3 fish per person(that is a futile attempt to help recover stocks but at the same time an admission stocks are in the ****).......A fish breeding program needs to start up......to do some protecting for these other fish....without them...we are in big ****..........If fish stocks are rejuvinated with plenty of fish that will help......why do sharks get all the protection(when they have no natural predators/except themselves) while humans hammer the fish stocks.(we are fishes worst predator)...Humans are just hypocrites and are ****ing up the world with their ignorance and stupidity.....I can see an over abundance of sharks and a lack of food for them to eat.......they wont just eat seals every day........with a larger volume of sharks.....they will become more agressive and compete with each other to eat...wont be long you will get two or three great whites tear someone apart competing for the kill.....sorry it sounds horrible but thats what they do.......NZ is having a problem with bronze whalers exploding up north....Eating any hooked fish on the way up..hanging around for an easy feed......these are smart animals....fish like in my pic(that was a kingfish pic)...that could be released...like this one was.......all the fish get culled but the sharks never get taken by anything.........sharks will never get endangered in oceania .........nothing to worry about here and nz........Sharks are laughing at us humans lol....sharks have their place at the top of the food chain and can live a very long and protected life over here.....unfortuanetly most edible fish dont get that luxury.......The moral of the story? when god asks you what animal you want to be reincarnated as when you die.......Choose a great white.......a long and fruitful life.....Do what you want and nobody will ever try to kill you.......sounds like the perfect existance to me.....worst scenrio? come back as a snapper/ Dhufish.or kingfish......You wont live a long life.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:42pm
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver


Joined: 14 May 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 184
There certainly seams to be a lot more Bronzys about.The kingys we have caught lately all come up missing bits,Still havent been lucky enulgh to see a Great white,definatly on my bucket listThumbs Up
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MightyBoosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:10pm
MightyBoosh View Drop Down
Gold
Gold
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Location: Northland
Status: Offline
Points: 528
Why not kill all the lions in the Serengeti while you're at it? They are a potential risk to humans too. 

I'm a diver, I accept the risk and yes, I've done a bit of diving in WA. If you don't accept the risk, stay out the water. Shark problem solved. 
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:14pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Location: Mostlyinthepoo
Status: Offline
Points: 13150
Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Why not kill all the lions in the Serengeti while you're at it? They are a potential risk to humans too. 

I'm a diver, I accept the risk and yes, I've done a bit of diving in WA. If you don't accept the risk, stay out the water. Shark problem solved. 
 
Makes sense !!!!!!
The wonder of the internet is that you can be whatever you want. The really peculiar aspect though, is that most people choose to be stupid !!
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:32pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 1184
Go and burley up in the kaipara and you will see some great whites. There was one hanging around the Shelley beach boat ramp last summer.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:41pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver


Joined: 30 Sep 2013
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 380
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Go and burley up in the kaipara and you will see some great whites. There was one hanging around the Shelley beach boat ramp last summer.


Can understand on the west coast but Shelly Beach, Coromandel is a bit different. There are reported sightings around Motiti Island, Bop which is my stomping ground and glad to say haven't seen one while spearfishing yet. I think the one you don't see will be the defining moment.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:04pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 07 May 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 7695
Sharks live in the Ocean. It is their home not ours--we are visitors into (and hopefully out of) an alien world--the water.
Why do humans think they have to control everything.Let the sharks be. OK to take out their food 50 ton at a time in a seine net. Thats commerce .! But taking fish also effects seal populations, and sharks eat seals. No wonder they get hungry . So surely our actions have a part to play.
Solution is to stay out of the water in areas where these huge predators are known to prowl.
If they want to cull something ,how about culling some of Aucklands cars. Estimated 300 people a year die directly from effect of traffic emissions in Auckland. Thats far worse than sharks.





Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 1184
Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Go and burley up in the kaipara and you will see some great whites. There was one hanging around the Shelley beach boat ramp last summer.


Can understand on the west coast but Shelly Beach, Coromandel is a bit different. There are reported sightings around Motiti Island, Bop which is my stomping ground and glad to say haven't seen one while spearfishing yet. I think the one you don't see will be the defining moment.


Look back through the kaipara fishing post. Kaiparas full of sharks. Plenty of whites hooked in there, I've hooked one myself couple of years back. Snappercatcher on here had grab his burley tied to his anchor a few years back.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
Avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2009
Location: Mount sinai
Status: Offline
Points: 2695
Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Another great white fatality in wa a few days ago.....17 year old girl surfing......here is my take on it........their portection is ****ing up the fishery both here in western Australia and NZ.
This was my reply to a greenie who reckoned sharks were endangered in auastralia......strange that.......because i contacted a charter operator in Perth and asked them if they could take me out jigging for samson fish...his answer ? " we dont take people to do that anymore because we never can a fish in the boat ! "........anyway.....have a read and feel free to express your thoughts=


My take on "Great white Attacks in Australia"........it is no coincidence that the number of attacks has gone up since 2002 and you cant just blame it on more people in the water.....in the 50/60/70 a lot of people went in the sea all around australia.......a big factor is too many whites over 4 metres swimming around...........they look for large meals ! here is my take on it...a comment i made on one of those save our sharks blogs from the greenies........sorry but they make it all sound lovely and beautiful treatment for our sharks....anyway here we go=
 "The great whites are going into endangered of extinction." This statement is not true......Sharks are flourishing all over australia with the protection they receive.......Unfortunately nobody wants to save big fish........a lot more sharks means a lot more mouthes to feed....meanwhile commercial fishing hammer the stocks of fish that the sharks would and need to eat....If you want to protect sharks ....you need to protect the fishery as well........You cant blame sharks for getting hungry but there is one very big fact you cannot get away from.....once a great white gets to 3 metres plus they go from eating small fish ...squid etc to larger prey items like seals etc........with a lack of big fish around.....Humans look a good size to a white 4 meters and over.......Australia is missing the big picture.......what i would like to know....is where does the fishing licence money go?.....that boat owner pay every year..........Australia needs to kerb commercial fishing......recerational only allows 3 fish per person(that is a futile attempt to help recover stocks but at the same time an admission stocks are in the ****).......A fish breeding program needs to start up......to do some protecting for these other fish....without them...we are in big ****..........If fish stocks are rejuvinated with plenty of fish that will help......why do sharks get all the protection(when they have no natural predators/except themselves) while humans hammer the fish stocks.(we are fishes worst predator)...Humans are just hypocrites and are ****ing up the world with their ignorance and stupidity.....I can see an over abundance of sharks and a lack of food for them to eat.......they wont just eat seals every day........with a larger volume of sharks.....they will become more agressive and compete with each other to eat...wont be long you will get two or three great whites tear someone apart competing for the kill.....sorry it sounds horrible but thats what they do.......NZ is having a problem with bronze whalers exploding up north....Eating any hooked fish on the way up..hanging around for an easy feed......these are smart animals....fish like in my pic(that was a kingfish pic)...that could be released...like this one was.......all the fish get culled but the sharks never get taken by anything.........sharks will never get endangered in oceania .........nothing to worry about here and nz........Sharks are laughing at us humans lol....sharks have their place at the top of the food chain and can live a very long and protected life over here.....unfortuanetly most edible fish dont get that luxury.......The moral of the story? when god asks you what animal you want to be reincarnated as when you die.......Choose a great white.......a long and fruitful life.....Do what you want and nobody will ever try to kill you.......sounds like the perfect existance to me.....worst scenrio? come back as a snapper/ Dhufish.or kingfish......You wont live a long life.

At least you got the bit about sharks swimming in the ocean right.....

WA has mixed bag limits
Near shore/ Estuarine finfish  Total mixed species  per angler is 16
Large pelargic finfish Total mixed species bag limit is 3
freshwater finfish Total mixed species per angler is 4
Dermersal finfish total mixed species per angler is 2 on west coast 5 on south coast and northwest coast

Rec fish licences total 6.6 Million the state government contributes another 13 Million
15% of this total is set aside for funding Recfishwest, WA's peak recreational fishing body, 25% is set aside for new initiatives , the remainder has funded artificial reefs and FAD's restocking prawns, Mulloway and Barramundi, research projects such as the blue swimmer crab research.  

When Sharks start turning up in my back yard Ill happily kill em, when Im swimming in theres I takes my chances.....
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:21pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Silver
Silver


Joined: 20 Sep 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 490
I honestly don't think they think of us as food In general. I read the fact on the wall at Kelly Tarltons saying we are 99.9 % more likely to be struck by lightning twice than attacked by a shark...... Don't over think it too much. They could kill swimmers and surfers in huge numbers with ease if that's what they were out to accomplish.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:52pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver


Joined: 30 Sep 2013
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 380
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Go and burley up in the kaipara and you will see some great whites. There was one hanging around the Shelley beach boat ramp last summer.


Can understand on the west coast but Shelly Beach, Coromandel is a bit different. There are reported sightings around Motiti Island, Bop which is my stomping ground and glad to say haven't seen one while spearfishing yet. I think the one you don't see will be the defining moment.


Look back through the kaipara fishing post. Kaiparas full of sharks. Plenty of whites hooked in there, I've hooked one myself couple of years back. Snappercatcher on here had grab his burley tied to his anchor a few years back.

That's what I was alluding too. West coast, Kaipara, Manukau has a lot of GW's, well known. There is a video of some guys snapper fishing recently <3 months ago and camera reveals a large looking GW swim through. Certainly not as evident on the east coast but they would most certainly be there.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:58pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 1184
Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Go and burley up in the kaipara and you will see some great whites. There was one hanging around the Shelley beach boat ramp last summer.


Can understand on the west coast but Shelly Beach, Coromandel is a bit different. There are reported sightings around Motiti Island, Bop which is my stomping ground and glad to say haven't seen one while spearfishing yet. I think the one you don't see will be the defining moment.


Look back through the kaipara fishing post. Kaiparas full of sharks. Plenty of whites hooked in there, I've hooked one myself couple of years back. Snappercatcher on here had grab his burley tied to his anchor a few years back.


That's what I was alluding too. West coast, Kaipara, Manukau has a lot of GW's, well known. There is a video of some guys snapper fishing recently <3 months ago and camera reveals a large looking GW swim through. Certainly not as evident on the east coast but they would most certainly be there.


Yep all good, there was a sign at the Shelley beach boat ramp - kaipara harbour, saying to look out for a GW that had been seen off the wharf
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:09pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver


Joined: 30 Sep 2013
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 380
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Go and burley up in the kaipara and you will see some great whites. There was one hanging around the Shelley beach boat ramp last summer.


Can understand on the west coast but Shelly Beach, Coromandel is a bit different. There are reported sightings around Motiti Island, Bop which is my stomping ground and glad to say haven't seen one while spearfishing yet. I think the one you don't see will be the defining moment.


Look back through the kaipara fishing post. Kaiparas full of sharks. Plenty of whites hooked in there, I've hooked one myself couple of years back. Snappercatcher on here had grab his burley tied to his anchor a few years back.


That's what I was alluding too. West coast, Kaipara, Manukau has a lot of GW's, well known. There is a video of some guys snapper fishing recently <3 months ago and camera reveals a large looking GW swim through. Certainly not as evident on the east coast but they would most certainly be there.


Yep all good, there was a sign at the Shelley beach boat ramp - kaipara harbour, saying to look out for a GW that had been seen off the wharf
Oh OK, didn't realise there was a Shelly Beach at Kaipara. Wouldn't ignore the warnings if a GW was present.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 8118
Watch a program on gws.as we swim on the surface and a gw attacks from underneath they see us as seals.mistaken identity was what the program eluded too
going fishing tomorrow but tomorrow never seems to come.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:42pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver


Joined: 30 Sep 2013
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 380
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:


Watch a program on gws.as we swim on the surface and a gw attacks from underneath they see us as seals.mistaken identity was what the program eluded too

I wouldn't have afforded them that much intelligence. I'm yet to see a seal carrying a speargun but spear fishermen get taken/attacked. I also saw a documentary portraying a GW attacking a camera shaped like a torpedo about 150m below the surface at Gaudalupe Island. I'm of the belief that GW's will have a go at anything that is either slow enough to engage or displays appropriate prey behaviour.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Location: Sth Auckland
Status: Offline
Points: 5286
Is it not sort of like  bait fish...they are in great numbers compared to those that predate them....so most survive
 But the GW and their food.. seals , bigger 'bait fish'  are now in lower numbers, if not near or extinct in many places now.
So we now go into these places which the math indicates we have a far greater chance of being hit..
Add to that as ther are far fewer or not seals etc the GW could be a bit more hungry.. hit anything.
If this logic is followed thru...
There is far less numbers of small bait fish, which supports far less seals and such.

If the food chain , or a species in that chain, including the top of the chain, then the whole chain must be considered in preserving any part of it...

 Take the bait fish out, one limits the bigger fish and seal, less of those, the more likely the top predator hits surf boards, divers.
 Same principles applied in the American native wolf, European wolf, Tigers in India, lions in Africa... take out/ reduce their natural prey, stock and humans replace it.

Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:22am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Location: Mostlyinthepoo
Status: Offline
Points: 13150
Another aspect not as yet mentioned are the cage diving tourist operators that berley up heavily, to attract the sharks thereby encouraging them to associate humans with food.
IMO such practices should be banned totally asap. 
The wonder of the internet is that you can be whatever you want. The really peculiar aspect though, is that most people choose to be stupid !!
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shrekky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:33pm
Shrekky View Drop Down
Gold
Gold
Avatar

Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Location: Hamilton
Status: Offline
Points: 998
We are not allowed to mess with dolphin as we mess with sharks..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 8:39pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 175
Agree with Bazza, cage diving provides association with humans = food. Guadaloupe island whites are very used to humans sniffing around offering no end of goodies, so I think their natural environment has been compromised and the GWs behavior's altered accordingly.

In more natural environment I'm a believer of the mistaken identity theory, in most cases anyway. For a fish the size of a GW, it would probably use more energy attacking, eating and digesting a typically-scrawny human (compared to a fat, juicy fur seal) that it would get in return from the meal. Hence most attacks involve a single bite, then the shark buggers off without pursuing the meal any further. 
Unfortunately that single bite is often enough to be fatal (the attack on the young surfer off WA the other week being a case in point).

Of course there's always going to be exceptions, but on the whole I think they're smarter than we give them credit and I'm totally on the side of their conservation.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:07pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2002
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 2101
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Is it not sort of like  bait fish...they are in great numbers compared to those that predate them....so most survive
 But the GW and their food.. seals , bigger 'bait fish'  are now in lower numbers, if not near or extinct in many places now.
So we now go into these places which the math indicates we have a far greater chance of being hit..
Add to that as ther are far fewer or not seals etc the GW could be a bit more hungry.. hit anything.
If this logic is followed thru...
There is far less numbers of small bait fish, which supports far less seals and such.

If the food chain , or a species in that chain, including the top of the chain, then the whole chain must be considered in preserving any part of it...

 Take the bait fish out, one limits the bigger fish and seal, less of those, the more likely the top predator hits surf boards, divers.
 Same principles applied in the American native wolf, European wolf, Tigers in India, lions in Africa... take out/ reduce their natural prey, stock and humans replace it.


And the Haast Eagle in good old NZ. Gone for good. RIP.
Back to Top
Page  12>
Forum Jump
Forum Permissions View Drop Down


This page was generated in 0.293 seconds.