Sea lice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaCamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea lice
    Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 11:11am
SeaCamel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Maybe I've never paid attention to this but this weekend I noted for the first time some sea lice hitching a ride on my kingie. Does this bear any significance?

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Many a mickle makes a muckle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 11:25am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like an aliens to me
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 1:07pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have seen this many trimes on kings. some are covered in them

http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:02pm
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i no trevally and jack mackeral seem to always have them if you look hard enough, doesnt harm the fish or spoil eating qualities though, i think they hitch a ride and feed on scraps of the fishes meals, so would not be suprised if most species of sharks have them aswell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bjorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:25pm
Bjorn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea i got a kingi in the gulf yesterday and it too had some little lice things stuck on the out side. Looked a little different to the ones in that photo more of a broader body. As far as i am aware there is only really one parasite thing to watch out for and its orangey but only a problem if one is eaten in raw fish. Just found a picture of the ones on my fish from marineparasites.com   
http://www.youtube.com/user/OnTheBricksnBoat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote oldyella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 11:38pm
oldyella View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

probably a sperm whale may have been visiting the area,  just make sure you purge your snorkel well after each dive.