Rigged Kayak photo's

Page  <1 2526272829 33>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:43pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks Hairy I will call into them in Katikati and have a look. Do you sit it behind you ?
Sounds real good though thanks for the info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:50pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would have to agree about the penguin bag great bit of kit at this time a don't think there is any thing as good in the market. Only thing is don't be a knob like me when i first got it and and try and pour a few snaps out Ouch
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:59pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep sits nicely in the P13 well, the SupaSwing well is a little more tapered, but being a flexible bit of kit, should be no problem getting it snug.

If the rain (ahh - Glorious rain!Clap) lets up tonight, I'll take a pic of it in the Swing well for ya.

The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:22pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what are those taggit insulated bags like for the prowlers ??
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:59pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I havn't owned one but only the top is insulated the bottom is just a bag so a step up from just a cover as it keeps the blood and the like in. Still not going to be the best in summer
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote N2Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:03pm
N2Y View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by nubee nubee wrote:

what are those taggit insulated bags like for the prowlers ??

I love mine Thumbs Up Big step up from the covers. 

Yip no insulation on the bottom but have seen guys put a piece of closed cell foam down on the bottom of the well if your worried about it getting to warm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Patch_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:09pm
Patch_ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It was suggested to me (by a rather experienced fisho) to use a heavy duty plastic bag to hold your catch, then gives you something to fillet the frames into and then bin - no mess/cleanup.

I use a garden bag (found in Mitre10, bunnings etc)cause that's what I had sitting on my shelf.  Chuck some salt ice in and frozen powerade bottles Tongue - still frozen after 8hours, works mint.  Keeps the fishy smell to a minimum when left overnight in the fridge as well.

Run what ya brung Beer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisho111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:31pm
fisho111 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I use a penigun bag as well and it fitsnicely into the rear well of the espri I also use a stringer so it is easily to get the fish into it. I carry a fish bin in the boot of the car now to put the bag into to stop the ice slarry etc dripping into the car . I think these bags are a great product. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:37am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get up at 5am, get to NN at 5.20, get in the water at 5.35, get to the channel buoys by 6 am, start catching at 6.30am, limit by 8am, paddle back to shore at 8.10am, back onshore at 8.35am and get packed up to go. At the tackle shop for ice for the bin by around opening time 9am thats how it should beLOL A couple of hours between being caught and an ice bath ain't gonna hurt the fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:23am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've been watching all these comments with interest since I'm one of the main instigators of insulated covers. Everyone is discovering a solution that best suits their needs and thats the way it should be.

For my 2 cents worth, I've gone down the cover track because it's easier to slide fish over the edge of the well and under a cover than try and get them into a bag or chillibin. This is partly due to the size of fish and partly due to the often rough conditions I fish in. Also, again because of the rough windy conditions, covers don't increase windage like some of the hard sided options can.

In 15 years of salt water fishing from kayaks I've never had anyone I've given fish to complain about the quality. I have two rules: I only chin gaff so there's no disturbance to the gut, and I ice the fish down on the beach before going home.

That said, if a chillibin or insulated bag fits your yak, fits the catch you intend to keep along with a reasonable amount of ice slurry (frozen bottles on their own don't do it for me), and isn't going to create additional risk/hazzard in the conditions, then arguably this will bring home the tastiest fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:41am
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Limitless Limitless wrote:

This is partly due to the size of fish and partly due to the often rough conditions I fish in.

Come on there is no need to rub it in LOL
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Milkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 2:04pm
Milkey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Size matters GlynLOL
Proud Prowler Roller, bowler and a$$holer since Feb' 2008.......not anymore, Profish 440 yeah boy!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:58pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Let me make it clear in my view cool fish storage is really only an issue in the warmer summer months.   However, since most kayak fishing is done during that time it is still worth a closer look.

With the well scuppers open the well is flooded with water of 20 degree plus.    The last time I fished in the Hauraki Gulf I recorded temperatures of around 23 degrees.     So to start with that is the temperature your dead fish are floating in and the more fish you put into the well the higher that warm water rises.     With the sun shining on the hull the inside also heats up and then radiates some of that heat into the rear well via its four vertical sides.    Considering all the above one has to ask: Does the cover keep the heat out or (as it is more likely) keep the heat in?  

Storage isnt an issue if you only fish for a couple of hours in the early morning.    Most of us are out there quite a bit longer fishing and travelling.     After such extended trips I always knew at filleting time , which snapper I caught first.   Their meat was white and soft, almost falling apart.    Since I fish for food I want my fish to be in top condition and for that a chilly bin cant be beat.    Ask any boatie.   You never see them throwing their fish into a sack.

For a fishbag to work it needs to be insulated on all sides and like a chilly bin needs to have some coolant inside.    It does not matter if it is a frozen milk bottle as long as there is some water that comes in contact with the coolant and covers the fish.   The movement of the yak ensures that this cold water constantly washes over the fish.

Limitless,   Our windswept Naki coast has been a good testing ground for chilly bins.    Over the years I have used several different sizes and have  never had any problems with windage or rough seas that I could blame on the chilly bin.    I actually found that with a good load the rear of the P13 sits down deeper and becomes more stable in big following seas and with the bow slightly up it climbs even better over steep oncoming chop.   In strong side wind it tracks well without the need to sweep stroke.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:06am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Rainbow, I agree this issue is most significant over summer months, but is worth looking into.

You've made an interesting observation re the heating of the inside of kayaks on the water and then the subsequent radiation of that heat into the fish well. As a scientist I have to ask - have you actually measured both the internal air temperature and the temperature of the external side walls of the well?

I haven't and it's something that will need to be checked in the context of the cooling/heating of the catch in the rear well.

I will make an anecdotal observation based on the Perception Swings I paddled at the time I began using insulated covers (mid 1990's). This is one of the reasons I decided they were adequate for my purposes:

When kitting up on the beach at dawn but before sunrise, with all hatches open, the Swing is at a relatively cool ambient temperature, including the internal air space. Lunch time or early afternoon was usually the first time I opened the small hatch in the cockpit because of the way I stowed my gear. My observation on opening the hatch was that it "sucked" in air rather than "blew" air out. The implies that despite having been in direct sunlight for a significant period (and with water pressure pressing against a relatively flat hull) the internal air space had cooled and shrunk, not heated and expanded. To extrapolate this further, with the reduction in internal temperature there isn't any heat to radiate into the rear well.

I can only assume at this point (without taking measurements) that heat on the topsides is counteracted by:
1. direct absorption by deck wash and spray
2. evaporation of water off the deck
3. absorbtion directly through the hull to the sea.

For this reason, to be scientifically valid, any and all temperature testing would need to occur on the water with a real catch aboard to properly indicate the net energy (heat) balance between direct radiant input and convective, evaporative, and conductive output.

The reason for using the Swing as the prime example is that this was before I started fitting accessories and these kayaks were the nearest to hemetically sealed. The Prowlers for example use a less airtight hatch system. The Profish doesn't have a hatch I open on the water.

Regarding warm sea temps entering scuppers, totally agree this will have an impact. Again this can be managed, as has been mentioned in another posting, by looking at trip duration and the timing of when fish are kept rather than released.

Regarding windage, centre of gravity changes, and load distrubution: observations by individuals can vary, and will have greater or lesser significance to those individuals depending on their operational conditions. Personally I find not having a raised rear deck advantageous

And to reiterate my closing in the above posting, I don't disagree with placing the catch directly into an ice slurry. This will certainly be the best for the catch, and for some paddlers a chillibin is the way to best acheive this. For me, again to reiterate, due to the size of some of the fish I handle and some of the conditions I operate in, I choose to use covers. They've proven over the last 15years to be perfectly adequate.

Finally, don't missinterpret this posting, I'm not trying to create an arguement, just explain my logic in continuing to use covers. I enjoy eating my catch, and so do family and friends Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 11:05am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jeez thats technical Limitless.LOL

I have thought a lot about this issue (dreamed up a few ideas) but for me the simple solution is a moulded pod like the old swing had and the new Ultra has got to keep a bit of ice in. I have heard a P13 and Elite version is coming out is this true anyone?? It can also be big enough for large fish and not have a windage issue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 11:29am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep, sorry about the technical - 20 years in clinical chemistry / diagnostics is hard to shake off.

Molded insulated boxes would certainly be a good option for many, the hard bit is making them affordable.

They'd need an exotic lid to let fish's tails hang out though LOL. Glyn, I'm not skiting, I'm not Embarrassed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 11:40am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The insulated box if it is good and able to hold ice for 48 hours say should be priced accordingly in the $300-400 mark as thats what a good chillybin costs.
I am sure with a bit of input from us yakkers a good kingie sized bin could be put together Wink  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 12:29pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

But to get ice for say 48hrs the thickness of the insulated box would be getting up there and weight what does the ultra one weight ?
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 12:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When you got 10-20kgs of fish in the back does it matterLOL A few extra kg for insulation material ain't gonna hurt.

Even 9 40-50cm snaps from NN will be 10kg +.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 1:56pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have notice that salt ice melts very quick in the Swing pod in summer but with a cooly bag inside the pod the salt ice is still frozen after a few hours. The Swing pod is not insulated so heats up quickly. Im gonna grab a penguin cooly bag this weekend when im in katikati and give that a go.

I reckon future fishing kayaks should have a rectangular rear well cut out low down so punters can buy off the shelf cheap chilli bins if they want.
Page  <1 2526272829 33>