Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95066
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:12pm

Topic: Truely wide
Posted By: jakepitsville
Subject: Truely wide
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 2:48pm
Currently I am in the planning stages of my season, I am looking at heading wider of the 1000m mark to in search some blues and maybe a yellowfin.  I have also been looking at captures over the last season.     It seams most people are catching fish inside 200m -  Is that simply because that's where the fish are and the people who head wide don't catch anything or because people don't head wide?

any thoughts on this or captures over the last few seasons...

regards

jake

Replies:
Posted By: Double Shot
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 3:39pm
My 2 YFT were caught at and just outside the 1000mt mark, mind you that was the end of 2007....As for marlin, haven't landed one yet but have been hit at 800, 330 and loads of places under 200, but i'm no gun so can't really tell you, but this season I'd like to hit the wide water again (back of Aldies, Manukau) and see what comes of it...Smile

-------------
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:57pm
Jake wasn't that WR Bluefin caught last summer...or was it the year before, anyway from memory it was caught in 150m maybe even less south of houhora I think, someone will reign in...

Season before last I saw a very large tuna free jump off Ruru maybe 200m, Craig - Doubleshot do you recall depth?

Posted By: wanabe
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 5:17pm
sounds like a good plan I hope the weather holds for it , what area are you going to target, if you went to east cape the 1000 mtr is close in but it's a long way to go to get land locked. I am still planning to leave the boat at and go from Opua each time doing days away

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Season before last I saw a very large tuna free jump off Ruru maybe 200m, Craig - Doubleshot do you recall depth?

About right Al, never seen you so excited, that same season is when I dropped a big blue at 330 off ruru...

-------------
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 6:58pm
Interesting you want to go wide for a look Jake I will be in the not to distant future, you ask why more are caught in say 200m well many boats dont venture to far but maybe that is because this is where the structure isWink, work out the tide/current and look for the bait they wont be far awaySmile
sure they are caught further a field and many go wide for a look and most come home dissapointed really have a look at your charts and look for the structure
the blue fin Al mention was caught at the shallow patch from memory 72m or was that another one.

let us know when you go and i will sort a crew to follow along be good for safety reasons.

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:44pm
Well there is great structure wide at the 1000m mark and some huge pins. Have some great routes plotted. I cant see why they would not hold bait and fish but cant see why people dont fish them more. Guess its a huge distance to luck out. I was planning to leave while still dark and pick.on a pin all day. Steve will take u up on that two better then 1

Posted By: Cbro
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:57pm
about 55nm north east of north cape there is some pins that my comm mate has fished with great success. getting there is another story.  Aparently is full of lost trawl nets etc etc...YFT

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:07pm
yip been out there before, went to the 60mile grounds other than albacore we got nothing mind you it was early times, big currents and yes structure but when the pin comes up to 800m out od 12 you need the gears to find them

-------------

Posted By: alan syme
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Currently I am in the planning stages of my season, I am looking at heading wider of the 1000m mark to in search some blues and maybe a yellowfin.  I have also been looking at captures over the last season.     It seams most people are catching fish inside 200m -  Is that simply because that's where the fish are and the people who head wide don't catch anything or because people don't head wide?

any thoughts on this or captures over the last few seasons...

regards

jake

on a season like the last one on the west coast out from manukau, there was no need to go wide, the fish were close so there was no point in driving past them i guess. 

i agree that more people fish closer, so more fish will be caught closer as more fishing effort and time is spent there than out wide. i agree with ba about the structure and bait.

if you get a decent forecast and have some pins etc marked out wide and a plan like you have, then you will have a good shot at success!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:43pm
Jake have you tried the explosive dump grounds n/e cape Brett any attraction to that general area

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 5:40am
Like BA says about structure, the 2 YFT we got were on a large structural change, it was a 1000m down but clearly it was a good place to be, interesting tide line and plenty of skippies/alberts in the area, back then I didn't have the gear to show me what was going on down below, today is a different story, I see a plan formulating to hit that spot again this summer...

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:00am
[QUOTE=wanabe] Jake have you tried the explosive dump grounds n/e cape Brett any attraction to that general area
[/QUO

Ian I have never fished south of where I am from bar maybe one time at toots.]

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:03am
Well ill definitely give it a nudge with the right weather window. Watch this space

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 7:25am
Oh and another thought. I am heading wide primarily for tuna so what spread should I run aeeing as mr pakula reckons bad boy blues will be here this season

Posted By: Tone E
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:38am
Haystacks and needles come to mind but fortune favours the bold....all power to yee

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 11:39am
Originally posted by alan syme alan syme wrote:

]

on a season like the last one on the west coast out from manukau, there was no need to go wide, the fish were close so there was no point in driving past them i guess. 

i agree that more people fish closer, so more fish will be caught closer as more fishing effort and time is spent there than out wide. i agree with ba about the structure and bait.

[/QUOTE] Ummmm.....talking cross purposes here I suspect. There were no yellowfin or big blues caught in close off the Manukau last season. Stripies are almost always to be found inside the 200m contour and often inside the 100 but the locally bordering on extinct yellowfin, especially the so called early run of donkeys....well.... you probably need to target the Rumbles seamounts, and other outer BOP seamounts, far NE barrier bank, Poor Knights rise and 1000 m line from there to north of north cape. Watch sst's for a finger of warm and see where it comes in from. I seem to remember there often being a warm finger early that may or may not come right to the shelf 

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:42pm
Aye I like idea of very wide, the adventure, and you just never know what's out there!
Went out 45nm past Gt Barrier in my 6m a couple of years ago, thought it was great! The stripies were out there, but also back in by the 200m mark at that time.
On the right day, it was a special place and I'll be out there again...give us a wave Smile

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

yip been out there before, went to the 60mile grounds other than albacore we got nothing mind you it was early times, big currents and yes structure but when the pin comes up to 800m out od 12 you need the gears to find them

I'm sure I was told it comes up from 1800 to 450.  Same place?  Guys fished it for BN Bass, tuna etc.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:54pm
interesting we spent a day and a night out there and found nothing like that, I have got the latest charts for the new Simrad so will have a look and see what we can see.
watch this space.

-------------

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:02pm
Have been to the 60mile Seamounts when Primetime was first launched....3-5th of Jan...

2 x Stripies, 2 x Spearfish, a bunch of mahimahi and a couple of YFT I think the score was.....

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:36pm
^ nice.

I think this is the place...

Posted By: RH580ikanui
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Cbro Cbro wrote:

^ nice.

I think this is the place...

Wow.. amazing looking area there... just on 60nm to the start of it from Matai Bay.. the little 5.5 might get a bit nervous that far from home.. very tempting but. Would have to be broadie central too I reckon.

-------------
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:11pm
good on you Jake that's a hell run for most but I hope you upgraded the boat, where do you start from

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Have been to the 60mile Seamounts when Primetime was first launched....3-5th of Jan...

2 x Stripies, 2 x Spearfish, a bunch of mahimahi and a couple of YFT I think the score was.....

what year was that

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:55pm
Ah supermodel I'll keep you company, just need a refuelling ship.Smile

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:57pm
  Steve if you wanna fish this place Cbro has talked about pm me and we will organise a plan! 

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Ah supermodel I'll keep you company, just need a refuelling ship.Smile

Gidday Matt.. yeah  my etec will chew thru 50L just to get there. Just got a email from Ynot. he has a 5.5 also & keen to do some pack attack missions.. the more the merrier that far out.
If your gonna go that wide that looks like a premo spot to head for rather than just heading for any part of the horizon. Need a big 3 day high & I'd bee keen to overnight out there with company.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 7:57pm

Steve if you wanna fish this place Cbro has talked about pm me and we will organise a plan! 

will do mate what are the numbers for there CB it is not the place we were shown a few years ago

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 7:59pm
I have also upgraded my engine and now have a 2014 suzuki115 four stroke. I can actually get out there.
definetly need that window of 3 days though.
First thought that not much sleeping space, and sole catching will be challenging. Could base at barrier though. Good refuelling break. There seems to be a group of surfers that might be keen.
Bound to be someone who has done this kind of thing before. If not be a great documentary, so better return with some great footage and some bloody fish.
All sounds exciting and foolish and I'm keen.

-------------

Posted By: six guns
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:47pm
Love being out wide solo with a bottle of wine getting naked and doing the haka on the engine box at the lures

-------------
skull draging and taging

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:14pm
PinchWon't wear my glasses

-------------

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:30pm
I heard once heard - wide - from back of mokes was good very early season.  Guy who told me used to work in topcatch whangerei. Need to look for a sponsor for a new F70, as my F50 with 4000 hrs is probably asking for trouble.  Take heaps of fuel and Supermodel with me as a mother ship. Quids in.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:31pm
hey Jake, having a think about it, what say we start looking say end of November early December, we get some reasonable weather there abouts.

I will be leaving from Whangaroa, what is your cruise speed?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:41pm

Hey BA -how's your new boat? Out of interest what's your cruise speed?

My cruise speed is 16 -20 knots. 25 flat out.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:46pm
coming along nice wont be long till she gets a wet bum,

cruise I will sit at 18 to 25kts depends on the sea state but in the rough 22 is nice, and 45kts full tit

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:56pm
My boat's in at Kevin and Ian's marine at moment, for a full refit and service. New stainless rocket lanucher, plus canopy and clears, outboard service and warrant for trailer, think they might also reapolster the 12 year old seats.  She's going to be smart and the envy of tutukaka fleet.
Possibly be the best 4.9 mtr gamefisher in NZ for the coming season.
Plan to get out and whack a marlin early.  And tear myself away from the great snapper and landbase kingi action off the ECB that normally delays things.
Few titles to defend this season (well 1 or 2, mainly girls titles) and at least will have  good looking and historically lucky boat to do it in.  Have a few surprises to spring as well.

But I think Wanabe's beast is coming along very nicely in the bigger boat section.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:11pm
if I get down for the 1 base I will look you up, $950 a day charter hopefully will get a bite or two, Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:16pm
Apparently was a very fishy area however comms have devastated it. Soo much gear left behind its ****ed. Btw where the hell is my invite?

Still havnt caught a dam marlin...or mahimahi...or yft...pffft.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:35pm
It would be honour to come out on your boat Capt Steve.
$950 a day for whole boat  that can do those speeds out to the grounds with you is very reasonable... others take note. 
Not for me during the comp days though, as I'm  likely to be very busy then - leadering point scoring fish on Obsession. 
But always keen to learn from others on social days -normally I get to go for free... Smile  but for you I might pay something to cover your expenses.

Posted By: skidoggg
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by six guns six guns wrote:

Love being out wide solo with a bottle of wine getting naked and doing the haka on the engine box at the lures
haha least im not the only one doin that sorta thing  lol

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 3:01pm

hey Jake, having a think about it, what say we start looking say end of November early December, we get some reasonable weather there abouts.

I will be leaving from Whangaroa, what is your cruise speed?

Steve - I wouldn't be sure of the best time to go.  I would not want to go to early - but early December could work for me -  IF I get a pass.  My boat cruises pretty nice at about 18-22knots.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 3:05pm

Apparently was a very fishy area however comms have devastated it. Soo much gear left behind its ****ed. Btw where the hell is my invite?

Still havnt caught a dam marlin...or mahimahi...or yft...pffft.

Im always a phone call away Cbro to dry your tears I can give you a shoulder....

Seriously though if you keen you can have a spot on "shes gonna sell me" and just for you. I cleaned my boat.  Cleaned, scrubbed and Water blasted twice.  Serviced outboard, plugs oils the lot.  so she is all sweet as now. 

When you say the place is Devastated it etc? do you mean bottom fishing is un-doable?  or will we still be able to hit some blue nose?

Posted By: dirtyharry
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:37pm

coming along nice wont be long till she gets a wet bum,

cruise I will sit at 18 to 25kts depends on the sea state but in the rough 22 is nice, and 45kts full tit

I'll come up with Tiny Tim when he gets back, give you a hand to sort it out and take her for a sea trial.  Wouldn't want to find there's an overheating light bulb 60nm out would we? 

I'm thinking xmas/new years might be a good time to hit it wide, could be in with a shot at the first beak landed for the season.

-------------
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.

Posted By: Jet_ski_fisher
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:41pm
Go wide while you can explore the wild blue ocean, and sail on to new adventures... breath new life into your soul explore what god has freely blessed us with. fish hard live hard and make every day a fishing day :) 

-------------
MH... Catch measure release...<*))))<

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 9:45pm
Gosh thanks Jake, I was gna say we could take whiteshark if your boat was not sorted...
I will talk to a few and ask for a mark or two an get a picture of whst to expect.

Could do with a shoulder too...northland as beautiful as she is is full of sick ****s and im ****en over this ****.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:37am
check out the contours on the 12 mile limit line and inside

Posted By: mangre 2
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:42am
wanna be go a liitle more to the right

-------------
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:53am
Ok shall we throw up a couple of dates Jake?

23-24 November or 7-8 December both are weekends and are 2 weeks apart.

this gives us a month or so to organise.

If anyone else wants to tag a long make you presence known.

This trip is not for the delicate types, it is a long way to go and if the weather turns its a long way home.
VHF Channels 62 Whangaroa 60 and 61 Far North radio.

So hands up and lets go for a look.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:13am
Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

wanna be go a liitle more to the right

yes the banks but is further to go on a daily basis and if you are looking for deep water close in that's pretty close

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:19am
yes true, depends which way the current is coming from, if it is coming from the west, fish the shallow not the deep, if it is coming from the east fish the deep.

-------------
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:23am
Mangre how is the easiest way for us to find out which way the currents running without actually being out there and even when out there it is often not simple to know which way the current is running.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:21pm
you really need to study the sst that gives the best indication of current when not at sea, and varify that with current maps,

Upwellings out there will tell you if the current is leaving the shallow water and the upwelling will be fairly close to the dropoff, if it is hitting the shelf, you may find that the upwell and current lines can be further out,

current can be in all directions in these areas.  structure is one thing but upwellings can be close or away.

The reason I asked wannabe to show the structure to the east of N.CAPE, was because I saw some interesting stuff happening there last year. it holds water that structure.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 4:31pm
Mangre your the man!

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 4:37pm

This trip is not for the delicate types, it is a long way to go and if the weather turns its a long way home.

Steve those are great dates.. .things will get harder for me the further we go into December my Darling is having our first child approx. Christmas so the closer to that the more I have to be on stand by.  My pick would be the weekend in between but the whole thing is weather dependent.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 4:39pm

Gosh thanks Jake, I was gna say we could take whiteshark if your boat was not sorted...
I will talk to a few and ask for a mark or two an get a picture of whst to expect.

Could do with a shoulder too...northland as beautiful as she is is full of sick ****s and im ****en over this ****.

Ants I will talk to you after my sea trial tomorrow of "shes gonna sell me" in regards to white shark.  Im also testing my 1kw transducer in some deeper stuff so hopefully it works.  Some marks and a picture of what to expect would be epic!

Also I spoke to a client today who used to work on the tuna boats travelling around NZ year around. he thought that was the best place for us to hit a yellowfin about this time of year.  

so lets do this.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:26pm

I have not been this far round but this season could change

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:32pm
ha sorry I thought we were looking at North cape thats east cape  ha ha

south of ranfuly is a good place current hooks back in there, right were that rise south of there were the lines squeeze.

Thats were that big Northern Tuna was caught last year

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:37pm
23rd-24th works for me

Steve those are great dates.. .things will get harder for me the further we go into December my Darling is having our first child approx. Christmas so the closer to that the more I have to be on stand by.  My pick would be the weekend in between but the whole thing is weather dependent.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:45pm
I assume you guys know best with the dates. Super model you got a second pob. I will have to start looking for one as I was expecting this to happen early next year.
Who is actually putting there hands up for this.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 6:27pm

Either weekend works for me BossMan, my hand is up even though I'm the delicate type, Dec 7/8 would be pretty close to my Birthday too!!!  Give Sam a PM, he should be finished his course of penis-cillin by then.

-------------
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 6:54pm
the early bird just might hang one on a hook
I will be there and at this stage if Jimmima is back from her jaunt with Tai boys we will have a crew
B.A
Jimima
Dirty Harriot

So I can look at one more, again weather dependant boys

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:08pm
Ya know I may ask my uncle if he wsnts to bring up his tournament 9... hell of a boat to go that wide, I just feel that we will need more tanks than we could find on either yours or mine. This is a 260 or 360hp diesel.
my cuz may be keen with his dads 7m Haines as well, but no out riggers...

Posted By: TM.
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:55pm
a little bird told me its 19 deg out at the 60mile grounds at the moment

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:51pm

Ya know I may ask my uncle if he wsnts to bring up his tournament 9... hell of a boat to go that wide, I just feel that we will need more tanks than we could find on either yours or mine. This is a 260 or 360hp diesel.
my cuz may be keen with his dads 7m Haines as well, but no out riggers...

already planning how we can take enough fuel -  with my floor tank and my 4 tote tanks that makes 130L  i have three other 20l containers..... but fuel is a good point.     but of course a desiel is better. i have portable outriggers -  a mate of mine is keen to come up December.  Owen will be keen and Johnny to so im sure we have a crew for at least two boats.... let me know asap what the plan is. so we can organise what the go is!

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:55pm
we will also need one awesome weather windo!w

Posted By: Rockstar from Mars
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by TM.... TM.... wrote:

Think your little birdy friend is telling porkies......

-------------
Winning.....

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by TM.... TM.... wrote:

be well worth a gander then wont be long till I pull out the gear for a refit the count downs on.Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:58pm
GUYS - no one has seen the Anchorite Black yet so the season hasn't started OK. How about we at least get to labour weekend before you start infecting all the poor buggers on here with your game fishing virus. I am going to have to go and fit that nice new weasel screen on Tagit now just because I read this damn thread. 

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:04pm
Black marlin at Anchorite  ! !  ! ! Are you for real ! ! ! ?

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: part-timer
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:49pm
I would not be surprised... would you?

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 3:32am
Do we have a roll call yet. Leaving from where.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:35am
The anchorite black is still up in cairns spawning. It'll be back before xmas

Posted By: biggear
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:58am
Dave, don't forget that marlin we saw off little barrier on the way home in feb.

-------------
Dont let the grey hair fool you!

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:53am

Do we have a roll call yet. Leaving from where.

the usual story mate lots of talk etc after all we are fishermanLOL

if you cant get a spot you can jump on with me and the boys and we will be leaving from Whangaroa
jake may leave from doubtless or tow down and we will all go together got to get some live baits

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:32am
Jake would probably rather leave from karikari.

Posted By: Bertram
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 11:50am
I will go Steve

Posted By: H2O_dependant
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 4:34pm
confused - is there two out wide trips being organised here ?  - one off east cape and one off north cape / cape karikari?

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 4:38pm
3 ActuallY ! !  ! Anchorite is on the Agenda  !! lol

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 5:32pm
I'm in for a truly wide anchorite mission, but I'm only available for about 3 hrs...

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by H2O_dependant H2O_dependant wrote:

confused - is there two out wide trips being organised here ?  - one off east cape and one off north cape / cape karikari?

get hold of wannabe maybe he is sorting one out the original idea was from up here mate.

Hey Berty sounds good mate, will need to hurry up and wait now.

so for my boat
BA. Jimima, Dirty H and Berty so we have 4.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:48pm
Can I suggest for clarity proposal (A) is karikari small boats, (B) is larger boats from up north, (C) lower east cape. Clarify these references if necessary.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:54pm
H2O.. I think most of the "talk" is about the northern grounds.

Mattoo.. may I suggest option D: Mixture of trailer & big boats.. that way we can get the big boys to carry our fuel & somewhere to lay the bed roll out at night.Big smile
Got my regular sidekick booked if it happens.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:57pm
 wannabe, you got us all confused again  gez

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Tone E Tone E wrote:

I'm in for a truly wide anchorite mission, but I'm only available for about 3 hrs...

Oooh Ohhh Tony, can I tag along with my snapper gear?

-------------

Posted By: Bertram
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:52pm
Sorry Steve I mean I will take my boat leave from Whangaroa

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:25pm
Like your option there supermodel, sounds like packhorse material. Just got to find us a pretty donkey now cause you never want an ugly one.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Bertram Bertram wrote:

Sorry Steve I mean I will take my boat leave from Whangaroa

all good mate, so we are back to 3 so can take another

yes Matto a bit confusing Angry

sorry Jake your thread mate you sort it and I will tag along with the merry men

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:29am
Originally posted by dirtyharry dirtyharry wrote:

Originally posted by Tone E Tone E wrote:

Oooh Ohhh Tony, can I tag along with my snapper gear?
Only if you intend using it to catch rainbow runners for bait...

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:03am
a nice day up here today, I wonder what it is like out wide after the wind we have had it would be interesting to see ow it has settled down as a few have said it was pretty rough...interesting

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:04am
Oh gosh... this thread-lol its turned into abit of a monster.  Ok so here goes. 

Firstly this wide thread was really for fishing from about NorthCape, KariKari to Whangeroa as thats about as far south as I will venture,  the purpose of this was to discuss and plan how to give the best chances of getting a yellowfin, and of course early marlin - and was primarily based on talkiong tocommercial tuna fishermen, some research done into the currents from australia and what Mr PP predicted. 

I think the planning were doing for this trip should be kept to this thread and if others want to organise a trip somewhere else then please start up another thread as to avoid confusion and im now confused.

yesterday i did a sea trial in my boat.  53NM most as cruising speed and we burnt up approx 48-50l of fuel. -  2 tote tanks. conditions were pretty idea most of the day with some slop for the run home. 

I have mapped out the distances via three possible launch sites from ramp to center of the pin. so one way  KariKari is 56NM.  Mangonui is 62NM and Whangeroa is 60NM.  Not to much difference really.  It would make sense for all to travel togeatherish - or at least meet up at a general area/fixed point etc.

as others have said it would be awesome if a large boat could take or hold extra fuel for us "small FRY"  -based on my fuel consumption 120l there and back if the sea is flattish  if doing a day trip in good weather i would need prob 220L of fuel to feel safe and thats alot of fuel. but is it dooable?  yep you bet with a perfect weather window 

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:09am

a nice day up here today, I wonder what it is like out wide after the wind we have had it would be interesting to see ow it has settled down as a few have said it was pretty rough...interesting

at 168m mark off Ruahine yesterday water 15.8 and it was so mirror calm. at least till about 1pm when a 10knot NW blew up

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 5:11pm
Did my own test yesterday, 1.15nm per 1litre. With 80l under the floor, I will need to double that which may limit my trolling.
Happy to leave from any of those departure points Jake.
Will watch this thread, capt A leaving late November looks good for a back up.
If we are overnighting any thoughts on the drift distance, needs to be taken into account.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 5:38pm
I can cruise at 28mph @ 19-20lph but trolling speed its nearly 1 to 1.  Drift is a huge factor...and its hard to judge this as there will be soo many variables to take into account.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 5:39pm

Did my own test yesterday, 1.15nm per 1litre. With 80l under the floor, I will need to double that which may limit my trolling.
Happy to leave from any of those departure points Jake.
Will watch this thread, capt A leaving late November looks good for a back up.
If we are overnighting any thoughts on the drift distance, needs to be taken into account.

Almost exactly the same as the etec Matt.  What speed was that at??
Think I would be inclined to cube & live bait at the spot rather than too much trolling.. plenty of time for trolling getting there & back. If trolling you need to be aware that your fuel range will decrease the longer you troll.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:50pm
just thought maybe do day trip for us small fry bigger boats stay out..... steam there troll kcube what ever. Just a thought

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:34pm
OVER NIGHT FOR ME, TO FAR TO GO FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AND THERE IS A LOT TO EXPLORE bloody caps lock.
how long do you think it will take to get there Jake, if the weather is ok I cant see any dramas as for sleeping well it is possible if it is quietWink

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:46pm
Same for me BA.. too far to go for a day trip..so what if we drift 20 miles in the night.. we're not gonna run aground anywhere. Even if it's 20 miles NE that's only an extra 20L to get home. I will be carrying a lot more reserve than 20 L.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:50pm
some nights I have drift 5k some no more than about 500m I feel that if out that far I will be dropping big baits for a sword be nuts not to try, just me but you would be pretty disappointed to go so far and not try something like that.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:53pm
AT twenty knots 3ish hours? If were staying ovwr night it may be a good idea to sort current a direction. .. but yeah all good.... do we have numbers and size od boats

Print Page | Close Window