Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80763
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:38pm

Topic: lure making and head shapes
Posted By: yknot
Subject: lure making and head shapes
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:05pm
I have been bitten by the bug of making my own lures. My first lure came out today, and I am happy with the results. (Can see it could get a bit addictive though)
I am after more info on the different head shape and sizes etc. Can anyone assist with what has worked better for them.

Replies:
Posted By: Murph
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:29pm
Have a read through this for a few ideas etc.......

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/diy-lure-building_topic57080.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/diy-lure-building_topic57080.html

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:54pm
I read this a couple of weeks ago, and thats what got me started. Couldn't find it again thou tonite.
Cheers and thanks for the ideas, used the lumo stick concept with my head from reading your post.
Will keep an eye out for updates on the post.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 10:30pm
There's some good lure making forums on bloodydecks.com & 360tuna.com that are worth checking out too.  If you get to know Jim Rizzutto on either of those sites you could contact him about getting a copy of his book "Lure Making 101 / 102", this has all the info that you need to get started.

As far as shapes are concerned there's really no limit, have a look at what is proven to work and create your own interpretations of those proven designs or just go hard out and create your own shapes from scratch.  A lathe is essential for shaping and polishing lures so look into getting one if you haven't already.

Be warned, it is addictive and you will blow a lot of money in the process.  It could well be cheaper just to go out and buy the lures you want, (you only need five!!), and save your money for gas to go trolling those lures around.  It is however very satisfying creating your own lure that looks half decent compared with commercially available lures and I'm sure it will be even sweeter to actually catch a decent fish on a lure you've made yourself.

Please post up some pictures of what you're making too.

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:09am
mate there are a few lads on this site that can help you to name a few A,C, Stormbringer and Blackbill they all make them I cant speak for the other guys but I know for a fact that stormbringer lures work and he would be able to tell you the heads I have got from him.

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 8:58am
Here is the first lure I have made, already have ideas to make better for next time.
Clap

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 9:13am
Cool, I wish my first efforts looked that good!!Thumbs Up

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 1:12pm
that is way cool yknot, great effort...

if your just making them for yourself a lot will depend on how your boat is set up...
outriggers or rod tip trolling, how far back or how close your want them to run,
lots of factors and that is with out considering the weather at the time...

hence you need a few different head shapes just to handle these condition,
and on top of that there is your boat size gin palace 14ft tinny, each need considering...

another huge factor is the anglers experience...

Peter Pakula has given the angler lures that novices can swim, the cupped faced lures for which he designed gave the novice a chance in small boats to get out and mix it with the bigger boats,
this range of lures has proven beyond doubt that any idiot in a boat can catch game fish...

its this type of lure your likely to have more success with, learn what keeps the lure in the water under most conditions...
learn what makes the head wobble,
   "        "        "        "      "    dive,
   "        "        "        "    lure work: skirt/hooks/trace

understanding how your lures work in conjunction with the above is just a start....
good luck yknot, you've made a positive start....

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Posted By: otdrmn
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:59pm
Nice one #2, looking forward to seeing more of these puppies.
Spin a few up on the lathe, could be interesting

-------------
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 4:23pm
#2, its already been cast. Due to the great weather today went shopping and got some new bits. (Pearl fleck with a red belly in a clear head). The rest of the family are involved and want to make their own too.
Just been poured. May need to source a 4 jaw chuck for the lathe to turn the heads.

Posted By: part-timer
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

#2, its already been cast. Due to the great weather today went shopping and got some new bits. (Pearl fleck with a red belly in a clear head). The rest of the family are involved and want to make their own too.
Just been poured. May need to source a 4 jaw chuck for the lathe to turn the heads.

Ive made quite a few in the last 20 years..  some copies.. some originals.. its great fun.. and very rewarding when you make one that gets the attention of the marlin.. but it is addictive..

But just a question...  why do you need a 4 jaw?  I do all mine on a 3 jaw..

cheers Jim

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 6:22am
Easiest way I've found is to use a piece of 4mm brass tubing as your leader hole, then insert a solid piece of wire that fits snuggly inside, (so that the tube doesn't crush in the chuck), and hold it in a Jacobs chuck at your headstock end with the other end supported by the pointy tailstock thing in the other end of the tube.  Works a treat for me!

Some people have expressed concern over the brass tube being too rough on the leader material but I spent about 30 minutes last night sliding a lure up and down a piece of 400 pound mono and I couldn't even get it to leave a mark.

Posted By: the angler
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

any idiot in a boat can catch game fish..

phew that makes me feel betterWink

Posted By: Stormbringer
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 9:10am
I have lately been using a lathe to turn wooden heads, you can try and turn different shapes & styles. I have about 50 turned heads now and will probably cast about 10 of them to see how they go :) its all about trial & error some will work some with fail once you have a couple that work then start playing with weighted inserts, colours etc it can get very addictive especially when marlin are getting caught on the lures you make Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Stormbringer Stormbringer wrote:

I have lately been using a lathe to turn wooden heads

Back when I used to make my own lures I sourced a piece of Southern Rata to experiment with as it is the only NZ wood denser than water (in fact it's the second hardest wood known - only lignum vitae is harder) and it's density is similar to that of the hard resins used making lures.

It was a b1tch to turn on my el cheapo lathe (now green guy's problem) but it meant that a wooden lure that worked in the water would perform pretty much the same way when cast in resin.

I even got carried away and turned up a laminated lure that looked awesome but performed like cr&p.

Heaps of fun and very rewarding when a diy actually catches a fish. Black Maire is also pretty heavy, though probably just as hard to source.

-------------
treat fish like fish

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

any idiot in a boat can catch game fish..

phew that makes me feel betterWink

yes very true but when it comes to day in day out then it sorts the men out from the boys.

-------------

Posted By: Peter Pakula
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:12pm
Making lures is certainly addictive, but .......... you can train someone to make lures of great quality and appeal in a few hours. Literally you just follow the instructions on the can.

However designing lures is a whole different ball game. That's instinct to a large extent.

Basically, very basically there are basic concepts. The sphere, cube, convex and concave shapes and tapers to work with.

First of all in all of this is ask and come to terms with your answer: "What is a lure for, what is it's purpose and how can you best achieve that goal?"

The answer will not be static, it should change as you progress in the art. Making your own lures you do not have to consider one of the things that's a major consideration and most important to commercial guys is catching fishermen. You only need to worry about catching fish.

Point in case, The Poco Tournament in Texas was just won last weekend on a Pakula Lumo Sprocket winning the team over $600,000.00 It was a Dojo Peche Sprocket, now with over $4mil in prize money, made to catch fish, not fishermen. They can't give them away in NZ let alone sell them because they aren't pretty.

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:52pm
Not to forget the Moldcraft series of lures which in my opinion are some of the most ordinary looking lures around and yet they have caught ****e loads of fish all around the world.

I love my lumo sprocket and it has been my most successful lure to date so it will be a while before one of my own creations gets to knock the sprocket off my long rigger!!

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:17pm
New to lathes, may have used wrong wordings, the lathe I now have has the two pointy bits, thus I believe I can only turn the lure as it spins between the two points, thus cupped face lures are currently not available in my line of lures.
Thoughts being jawed chuck is needed to turn cupped face.

Posted By: part-timer
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 11:38pm

New to lathes, may have used wrong wordings, the lathe I now have has the two pointy bits, thus I believe I can only turn the lure as it spins between the two points, thus cupped face lures are currently not available in my line of lures.
Thoughts being jawed chuck is needed to turn cupped face.

ok..  sounds like you have a wood turning lathe..  I havent used one of those before.. but maybe you could make a concave lure face if you machined the bulk of the cup in the lathe, then did the centre bit by hand..  just a thought..

I use a 3jaw to make my own lure shapes..  and it is good to make deep concaved  heads.

Ive made maybe 40 different shapes in 20 years..  I dont have the time or resources for scientific testing as Mr Pukula does to refine shapes..   but I have "stumbled" upon a couple of shapes that  work well from "day one" on our boat. 

In reality.. its probably better to tow a sprocket and a zuker  and a wide range as your core.. and play around on the edges withe home made stuff..

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 2:37am
Never underestimate 'stumbling' across shapes that work.

Re the 2 jaw chuck. I suggest 2 things, get a self aligning 3 jaw and go do some tech course on using lathes or go somewhere that has one and ask them for an hour of their time to run you through the basics. Most will oblige.

2 jaw chucks are based on having a spigot holding the piece in place. They can be pretty dangerous without that.

Posted By: ReelAppealLures
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:21am
Re : What Peter mentioned about learning the basics... There is some fundamentals best learnt from those with experience Approve 

There is more than one way to "chuck" something on a lathe, you can 'jamb' chuck without even using a chuck just a faceplate, some guys vacuum chuck too. 

As someone mentioned it sounds like your using a wood lathe, I suggest finding your local wood turners guild... These old buggers are awesome and have a wealth of knowledge, and bits for sale too! 

As for shapes I'm just going to copy Peter's Big smile

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:41am
Originally posted by ReelAppealLures ReelAppealLures wrote:

Re :
As for shapes I'm just going to copy Peter's Big smile

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Waits for the court date lol j/k

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 4:56pm
Thanks for all the tips, has been a huge learning curve for me. And yes it is very addictive, almost to a point where there could be a need for a rehab meetings??? and yes I may be able to find a venue for anyone in Aucks with the need to attend.
Photos of my second creation which has just been dressed up with new skirts. I will keep experimenting and reading what others have to say.
Tight lines

Posted By: Griffo
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 5:21pm
Where is everyone buying their skirts from (you know what I mean) 
Any cheap sources?

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 5:43pm

Thanks for all the tips, has been a huge learning curve for me. And yes it is very addictive, almost to a point where there could be a need for a rehab meetings??? and yes I may be able to find a venue for anyone in Aucks with the need to attend.
Photos of my second creation which has just been dressed up with new skirts. I will keep experimenting and reading what others have to say.
Tight lines
# 2, your getting me all barred up well before the season......Lookin good fella....

-------------

Posted By: Jet_ski_fisher
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:36pm
torpedo7 search skirts 5 dollars each under 50 5 bucks shipping over 100 bucks free shipping

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
MH... Catch measure release...<*))))<

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Built_to_fish Built_to_fish wrote:

torpedo7 search skirts 5 dollars each under 50 5 bucks shipping over 100 bucks free shipping

Awsome, thanks

Posted By: Griffo
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:49pm

Thumbs Up Thanks!

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:37pm
No worry's enjoy the skirt's the lumo ones are sweet :)

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:54pm
ooh wow that looks good enough to eat yknot...
your certainly making awesome clear looking lure...
very impressive...Thumbs Up

you have any idea what rig you should run with that????
like i mean, single or double rig????
you got a hook size that would fit that new lure of yours...

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:56pm
The head is approx 32mm, so the hook gap will be 32mm, will go shopping for these closer to start of season when re rigging lures.
Looking at running single hook, using the "Pakula"keel weight system to keep the hook in the zone.
Planning to run this lure on long corner.
Nec lure is the short corner, nice black and pink dress with a solid black head.
Star

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:08pm
Tagit fish Bait and Tackle in Silverdale (Auck) also have skirts for $5 each.

Wink

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:05am
In your lure:

Behind the head shoulders the skirt has a waist like a trenage girl, well some anyway). That is common even in production lures. Get a pair of scissors and cut the strands up to the back of the lure to elimate the waist. It will make the lure spin less and should be done on all lures.

The steep back cut at the back of the head may cause skirt blow back which can tangle them around the head or rig. Have a taper of minimum 45 degrees to elimate that problem or increase the back shoulder (where you glue the underskirt) so that the diamer of that shoulder = maximum diameter of the lure head.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:30pm
 fuk its cool to see the pros shareing the love , lots of dudes wouldnt do that mr pakula you are obviously a gentleman i for one will be buying some of your lures this season and in the future .Beer 

Posted By: ELEVAR
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:04pm
^ +1 and hes not all up himslef! awsome stuff...
has anyone tryed turning heads from acetal plastics or the like? prity dense easy to machine etc, comes in white and black, work with it heaps at work, been thinking about trying to make one from it but im a game fishing rookie, wuldnt no where to start!!! ahaha
zac

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:10pm
ANGLER MANAGMENT ask obald he has a full range with interchangeable skirts lock and load trace holders inter changeable weights they even catch fish...

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:51am

This is the head murphy made now with bonze lumo skirts on it, it's now called lumo shrek :)
have not set the skirts in place yet. seeing what look's better cause of the red line in the skirts..

-------------

Posted By: User Friendly
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 12:57pm
We bought a new laythe for the toolroom. the toolmaker would not let me turn any metal on it so bought a rod of acetal and turned up a heap of heads. Made all sorts of shapes and sizes tried some out in calm water over winter and kept the ones that looked like they could do the job. That was about 4 years ago. The shape that still works the best for us is still cylinder with flat or slightly concave head in black. We run at our own lures over 50% of the time they look pretty ordinary really but we are not catching fishermen only game fish and so far are pleased with the results.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:03pm
Hey that's looking good there Built To Fish!!  Like the name too mate.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:48pm
sweet thanks should i put the red line on the top and one underneath? or both on the side?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 9:15pm
have you got any pictures user friendly???
keen as to turn some up

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:20pm

sweet thanks should i put the red line on the top and one underneath? or both on the side?
On either side I would think.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:33pm
that is an interesting question:
humans know what colour go's top and bottom but is it the preferred colour for fish????
some lures roll over as they go back down hence showing the opposite colour to what we think...
should these lure have the skirt upside down to what we think so the fish is pleased to see what we see????
or when the skirt is put on upside down do's this have the effect of making that lure stand out due to it being opposite????

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:45pm
An injured fish can often swim upside down so having the lure skirted that may may be some sort of attack signal to a game fish.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 11:52am
       Only to happy to post some pics  A M but are in Salt Lake City at the moment. I tried to turn some nylon to make a couple of bigger dia. heads it is a nightmare to do so stick to the acetal. I got it from Advanced Seals on William Pickering   D

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 12:07pm
sweet there is pleanty of offcuts in the bin at work so thats me!!! did you wieght them at all??

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 12:35pm
    No  just found the bigger they got the worse the action .The real crappy ones i altered and made smaller and the so so ones used for teasers.Have more success with lures round 300mm.You can get quite a brite finish on the acetal till the marlin beat them up its not the hardest product Never weighed one  just trial and error.    D

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 6:50pm
awesome! if you could give me some ruff measerments that would help alot!! i really dnt no where to start! haha mite make a couple of each in black and white..

zac

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 12:35pm
With weather not being the best I have been productive in the mancave. Attached are my recent additions, both striaght face and have started to play around with shaping the head.
Need some fine weather now to give the lures  a run and see how they swim.

My lure making Learnings so far!
1 - Using the resin, follow instructions and don't put in more hardener because its cold, also because the resin heads are a larger dia than their recommended 12mm layer pouring go for the slow/medium harder rate.

2 - Also the more time to prep your mould the better.

3 - Once resin gone off round off your head ie with a file get it so as a skim is removed from the entire head, in this way it is completley central to the inner tube, then create the skirt collars and head shape.

4 - Dont be afraid to ask questions and play around with the resin heads. There is no such thing as a dumb question and making the heads isn't as hard as one thinks. Perhaps getting them to swim or catch fish may be a different subject thou.

Awsome to create especially when you finish polishing head up.

For those that read about previous post re torpedo 7 skirts, the 290mm are small!!

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 2:03pm
# 2 - If we were drinking men we could come up with some very very excellent names for those, especially the pink one. :-)

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 2:47pm
#2 wait to you see the lumo currently on the wayStarStarStar The young fella reckons it TANK??. Must be old bro no idea what that means. 

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 5:51pm
#2 just for you. Will give you a call re sea trial of lures and riggers.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 5:57pm
Nice, now make a dark purple and blue one and then think about some pointy,sleek, fast, bullet shaped maybe shotgun lures...

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:50pm
I made this one today for a mate here in Whakatane.........

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:52pm
very nice bet that gets bit this summer.

Posted By: Agent
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:32pm
That is a sexy looking lure Murph

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:47pm
yeah nice mate like the skirt colours too.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 9:51pm
well done Murph, reminds me of a colour we hooked lots of big Thrasher sharks on, LOL  

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:51pm

#2 wait to you see the lumo currently on the wayStarStarStar The young fella reckons it TANK??. Must be old bro no idea what that means. 
 he may mean GANK it means its sweet azzz

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 5:44pm
Took the lures for a swim in upper harbour today (got a few funny looks with the game poles out dragging lures at greenhithe!) Was like a kid at xmas time new lures, new game poles, all worked great, could even turn without tangles.  Lures swam and surfaced, awsome.
Got home cleaned up, then got the call to collect latest head (Alli Bubble Head). Thats the trouble when a couple of guys get talking and the thinking hats go on. Got it home, dressed it in pink and black now its ready to swim.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 7:40pm
#2 liking the look of that - can you email me the pic so I can have a closer look - or better still, stick it in ya pocket and we catch up during the week......

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:39pm
Just thought I'd share these ones......

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:51pm
wow Murph they look awesome....Thumbs Up
you got this down to a fine art....
who gives a $hit if they dont even catch fish, but i am sure the will... 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:57pm
I'll be dragging mostly my own lures this season and I'll be giving a good few away to others to try out for me too so I'm sure it will be just a matter of time before they have a few fish to their credit.  If not then these will all end up in the bin and it will be back to the drawing board for next year!LOL

Posted By: AP
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 6:02pm
Wow, those lures look the business mate! Very impressive indeed....

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 6:09pm
Awsome looking lures Murph. Keep us posted with the fish they hook once the season starts.
ClapClap

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 6:36pm
if you need a bin to chuck them in  you can use mine!!! hahaha mate these babys look like theyl do the bizz for sure! top work

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:32pm
Murph that is pure marlin porn right there Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:39pm
nice murph they look the goods, go slay a few with them

-------------

Posted By: JOLLY
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by ANGLER MANAGMENT ANGLER MANAGMENT wrote:

^ +1 and hes not all up himslef! awsome stuff...
has anyone tryed turning heads from acetal plastics or the like? prity dense easy to machine etc, comes in white and black, work with it heaps at work, been thinking about trying to make one from it but im a game fishing rookie, wuldnt no where to start!!! ahaha
zac

Yep, soooo easy. Went to a mates place to use his gear to clean up my first, made two more in no time. Comes round. Just poke them in a three jaw and churn them out. Great way to get a bunch of shapes quick I reakon. Easy to drill a hole for the leader. Polish up real well

Big ups to Peter also, really appreciate it. Good on ya

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:35pm
Here's another head just finished recently.....

This is the top hat done in an effect that I discovered accidentally.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:38pm
PM me if you wish to sell a few of those heads Murph... I got the skirtsApproveThumbs Up

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

PM me if you wish to sell a few of those heads Murph... I got the skirtsApproveThumbs Up

why has the little lady grown out of them bro.LOL

hey Murph looks good what a nice accident to have ay.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

why has the little lady grown out of them bro.LOL

hey Murph looks good what a nice accident to have ay.

haha the skirts might even fit you big pooftaLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:55pm
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:00pm
these bloody lure heads look good enough to eat...
dont give those 2 homos any lures Murph, charge em the earth man $200 should make them stand out in a crowd....
they have collection bigger than most tackle shops...

and i dont want any cos i cant afford to troll so its lives for me....

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:12pm
I'm happy to sell you some heads but I have to highlight the fact that they are unproven lures at this stage.  I've trolled them myself and am quite satisfied that they do what you expect a lure to do but until they catch a few fish I'm not 100% comfortable about asking folks to hand over their hard earned coin for something that's not proven.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:14pm
Right so on that basis Murph twenty bucks each to the chaps eh? we'll keep it quiet.LOL

Oh and if we catch a marlin and tell big lies and stories then you can sell for two hundy eh?LOL

Murph Marauders Rule!ApproveCool

-------------

Posted By: skidoggg
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:24pm
 nice mate put a blue and white skirt  poss over silver  and youl have a very active  flying fish lure  right there !

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:37pm
Agree Ski flying fish colours...very goodApprove

-------------

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:44pm
Awesome work MurphThumbs Up been watching your work and that is a wicked looking plunger

Al, "Gay bob" colours bro would suit that lure tooWink

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:42pm
Awsome as usual, makes the heads in the shops look plain!

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:35pm
Have been experimenting with a black / purple combination.....

Posted By: Agent
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:55pm
you have some real skills there Murph....

50 shades of marlin!

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

Have been experimenting with a black / purple combination.....

Murph, fantastic I like.
(Is using "Jims" concept of multi colour resins in multiple pours?
Hope they have your new boat name on the insert!

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:00pm
I actually did this one in three pours.  Yeah I need to go visit the printers and find out about getting some stickers made up for the inserts.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:05pm
looking good big boy, have you got any other head designs or just sticking with this one?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:09pm
I've got about three different cup face lures that I can do now and I've got a larger slant face ready to cast a mold of as soon as I get around to buying some more RTV.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:13pm
good stuff Murph been following your thread, some nice looking goodies there, keep up the top work. loving it

churr

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:45pm
Here's a bit of the line up......

The big cup face is my latest shape, the one pictured is the first one that I've poured and as I didn't have an insert sussed out for it yet I just did a solid colour.  There's also a bullet head that I haven't tried out in the water yet.

This large cup face takes 14 inch skirts but I don't have a great range of colours in that size at the moment.

The wrist watch is just to give you an idea of the size.  I'll try a few variations of this shape before I settle on a final shape.  This has a bit of a reverse taper but I'll try with the taper going forward as well, I'll also try making a flat face version of the same thing, the options to vary shapes are almost endless.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:55pm
Nice work Murph, personally I think the bullet is a little blunt but as I said that is my opinion, other than that awsome stuff mate the two toning can be great fun aye :)
I need to find a good source of RTV, the last lot cost me an arm & a leg and I only got 3 moulds out of it. What sort of price you paying for 1 litre ?  I have about 10 - 15 more head designs I want to cast but need a good priced source.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:02pm
I've been using the Topmark stuff and its about $140 for a kg.  There is some cheaper stuff available on TradeMe from Trig Instruments, (I think).  I don't think its as good as the Topmark stuff but I have used it and get pretty good lures out of it.

I don't know much at all about the bullet heads, that one started out as a slant face and I just lathed it down to that shape to see how easy / hard it was to get a bullet shape.

I really like the dark coloured hats, especially on the slant face lures and it is fun coming up with various colour combos.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:02pm
Here's one of the blue ones that will be heading up north soon......

Top view.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 10:56pm
looks the goods mate keep it up.Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 9:40am
That looks good Murph Thumbs Up Some pretty bloody talented lure builders on here at the moment, I know Leigh has a couple of crackers waiting to burst out of his Lab too.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 5:54am
Gutted, I just finished polishing a really nice purple & black head last night, put it down on the work bench and picked up a rag to wipe my hands on only the head was sitting on one end of the rag and went flying when I grabbed the rag.  Went flying, bounced off a cupboard onto the concrete floor, the result being a nasty bloody crack at one end.  Oh well, another one for the reject pile!

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 7:19am
That one most probably was not going to produce the goods due to the balance being wrong, the nec one will be the one! Murphies Law pal. 

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:11pm
Have got a Jaffa lure on the lathe at the moment, should have a photo in the next day or two.

Posted By: Tone E
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 4:47pm
Is that a lure for aucklanders only?

Print Page | Close Window