Print Page | Close Window

Te Hapua Wharf

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Landbased & Surfcasting
Forum Description: From rocks or beaches, here's the place for the landbased fishos to share information
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74638
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:26am

Topic: Te Hapua Wharf
Posted By: uncleping_88
Subject: Te Hapua Wharf
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 12:28pm
Has anyone been out fishing at this wharf before? Thinking of going there next week when i'm up that way. does it get crowded? or would it be better to go paua wharf? Cheers

Replies:
Posted By: JK
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:32pm
Both about the same mate, Either is worth a shot if you are up that way.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Posted By: Rusky
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:50pm
Haven't fished them, but seen some interesting things hanging around them that are worth taking gear for.

P.S. Take a popper rigged up to a seperate rod for when torpedo shaped fish swim through.  I want pictures and a full report please!

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 3:52pm
An old haunt. can use livies or poppies. Kings good size Trevs, Snaps all cruise past.
Should see a few locals along the bank as the tide receeds.
A boat on the out going tide will yield some very nice tucker....

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 8:45pm
Which would be a better chance of getting some good fish? never been up that way before. I'll definately post report if i catch fish LOL do both places need to be fished over high?

Posted By: fatjimmy
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:50am
I have fished TeHapua wharf- its good, loads of fish. Depending on what fish are round you can do what ever you like. Use stick baits for kings, and running rig for snapper.
A free swimming livie would just be a night mare, loads of current, piles, .. you could anchor it to the bottom i spose.
good luck!

Posted By: Zambezi
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:16am
^^ none return slides will fix the livie in current issue

-------------
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:54am
Hell, Te Hapua would be a mean spot for slidebaiting!

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Posted By: Zambezi
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:01am
It's been on the radar for awhile now, looking at a weekend in Feb once the school holidays are over.

-------------
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.

Posted By: Boz19
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:50am
Only fished each wharf the once but on that experience I would definitely rate Te Hapua over Paua.

No problem fishing livies at Te Hapua.

Posted By: sulla
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:05am
I was up there over the holidays, fished at both wharves, much preferred Te Hapua because I caught a couple of good JD's, but Paua had less people. I used a ledger with salted baits on it at both and kicked arse.
If you're doing a wharf run, check out Pukenui and Parengarenga too. The boats can get annoying but at Pukenui and Parengarenga looks like its about to fall over, but both are well worth a crack.

-------------
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:18pm
Does it get crowded at Te Hapua? I'm prob going to be berleying a bit so don't really want some one to be shoulder to shoulder with me. Did you catch much else apart from the jds? How was fishing at Paua?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:39pm
Wouldnt expect it to be shoulder to shoulder but its a tiny wharf and if you are berleying for yaself you are burleying for all.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Posted By: sulla
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by uncleping_88 uncleping_88 wrote:

Does it get crowded at Te Hapua? I'm prob going to be berleying a bit so don't really want some one to be shoulder to shoulder with me. Did you catch much else apart from the jds? How was fishing at Paua?
Yep, what JK said. The wharf is tiny and if there are four of you with two rods each, you're chocka. I caught a JD and a couple of kahawai. The locals reckoned that they get everything from piper to sharks. One of them got a decent snapper. My lovely lady got a JD and something huge that got off - it may have been a stingy by the way it bent the rod and kept it bent, then again it may have been one of the kingys that I heard so much about but didn't catch.
I berleyed when I was there, and berleyed up not just for me and my lady, but for everyone on the wharf. It helped - I went from persona non grata (particularly unfriendly Maori boys fishing next to me) to celebrity in the time it took for the fish to turn up and start biting, which they definitely weren't before I berleyed up. Berleying is definitely worth it, I reckon.
I caught a kahawai at Paua and a whole heap of piper but for whatever reason things were pretty dead when I was there. I was alone on that wharf for ages which probably should've been a sign.
I was using salt baits (mullet, squid and mussels) and they absolutely went off everywhere up there(cheers Ahab!!). 
Good luck up north bro. Try Ocean Beach if you can - I saw a dude pull in a decent kingy of the beach at the harbour entrance, and six kids fought with a monster kingy and got it in off the wharf at the Wagener campsite just around the corner.  

-------------
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY

Print Page | Close Window