Print Page | Close Window

How to keep a Crayfish Alive??

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73693
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 9:42am

Topic: How to keep a Crayfish Alive??
Posted By: IGAB
Subject: How to keep a Crayfish Alive??
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 6:42am
No doubt this has been asked before...especially at this time of year!

I was looking at heading in to Oceans on the way home to pick up a live Cray for the christmas BBQ. Is there any way that I can keep it alive for the big day?

Or would it be better for me just to buy a cooked one?

Cheers

-------------
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)

Replies:
Posted By: Tinky
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 6:48am
Just keep them cool in a chilly bin, and they will be fine. Just have a towel/cloth between the crays and whatever you use to keep em cold. They send them airfreight overseas like that.

-------------
Have boat - must fish!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:06am
Or in a fridge they will last several days. You can normally see their gill rakers moving.

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Panga
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Tinky Tinky wrote:

Just keep them cool in a chilly bin, and they will be fine. Just have a towel/cloth between the crays and whatever you use to keep em cold. They send them airfreight overseas like that.
Good advice.

-------------
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.

Posted By: Standard Deluxe
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:22am
You'll also have to lock the fridge to stop the missus eating it while your out.  Best buy two and keep the spare in your beer fridge.

Posted By: IGAB
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Standard Deluxe Standard Deluxe wrote:

You'll also have to lock the fridge to stop the missus eating it while your out.  Best buy two and keep the spare in your beer fridge.

The wife doesn't eat seafood, so alright there!

Thanks all for the info.....

Merry Christmas

-------------
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)

Posted By: CanadianJohn
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:33am
if they are the same as lobsters they will start to breath out of water by 72 hours. can't reverse the process though  as they will then drown! just have to keep them very chilled.

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:00am
Have heard that providing the freezer temp is not too low they
can be kept there then when they are taken out a month or two
later they "come alive"

Not absolutely sure it is factual but was told it has to do with their
ability to hibernate in near freezing conditions.

Anyone here know if it is a fact or not?

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Bushpig
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:29am
Not.

By definition a freezer is below freezing point and they would die. Otherwise they are in a fridge and as above will live for several days, but not months

-------------
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints

Posted By: Ab_Fab
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:35am
Have heard that adding some seaweed with them in the fridge helps keep them alive longer. Not sure why but is something I heard from a local Maori

Seems to be backed up by this blog

"You can keep lobsters alive for a day or so in the refrigerator. We store them in a paper bag, covered with seaweed. They can also be stored alive in an open container, covered with seaweed, or a seawater-soaked towel or newspaper (can you take a bottle or towel to the grocery store and ask the person at the fish counter to give you some seawater? ). Don't store them in a closed container. And whatever you do, don't put them in fresh water — they'll expire very quickly.

If the lobsters are quite lively when you buy them, you should be able to keep them alive in the refrigerator for as long as 48 hours. If their claws hang limply and their tails do not curl under when you pick them up, they may not have the stamina to survive nearly as long"

ab

-------------
What will a blonde girl say when you tell her she's pregnant? A: is it mine?

Posted By: Cigar
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 4:31pm

I heard a story (may have even been on here) about someone finding one under their hedge a week or so after they had dumped their catch on the lawn. It was still alive, and had eaten the grass around it down to the dirt.

Posted By: ThomasW
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 4:37pm

I kept a few in my chilly bin overnight, one of the buggers started to eat a Butterfish, another got into a pack of prawns I had for bait. Greedy little buggers they are. 

Also heard them waking about inside the bin throughout the night. 

Posted By: green guy
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:39pm
Wrap them in wet news paper (salt water) and in the fridge

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys

Posted By: Jonny rotten
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:55pm
we get them sent to us in a polly box with ice pacs and straw....them seem to last ages dont know why the straw tho

-------------
Rocking the CROCS since 2011

Posted By: brown
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:04pm
for export we used to blast freeze them to slow metabolism, wrap them in wood wool (that was soaked in salt water) then inside polystyrene chilly boxes. by the time they got to the restaurants in japan they would be jumping out of the boxes

-------------
http://www.thefishingshow.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: skidoggg
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 12:00am
best way is to keep em in karps cage fighting arena...

Print Page | Close Window