Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71778
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:53pm

Topic: Yeehaa to the Ranfurlys
Posted By: YeeHaa
Subject: Yeehaa to the Ranfurlys
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:29pm
Fingers X the weather was looking MINT! and it stayed that way the whole time... everything except the weather looked against us, the oil spill was heading that way, the containers were floating around and that meant we couldn't travel in the dark etc but we found that all this played right to our advantage.
Lance was running in his two brand spanking new white John Deer engines so we were only a hundy horses short of planing. Instead of 8knots were were flying along at 12-13knots most of the way. Great weather and good decisions on Lances part meant that we got to the fishing grounds a few hours sooner than we would normally and the fact that we had to be at our anchorage by dark didn't really shorten our days at all in fact we were stuffed by the time we had to pack in for the evening. Lance really had us working hard.

The whole time non stop I kid you not... no sooner would they bring out lunch and lance would find another massive patch of fish so it was lunch on the run and his Decky Steve worked like a champion! Lance would throw the boat into reverse and yell at the top of his lungs "Go go go"

Mike got into one first up on the Jig He was with us last year and decided he needed to get beaten up again.

Tony McKenzie also couldn't get enough of it after last years trip when he landed his 41kg monster and a number of other high 30s

Buzz Kronfeld was new for this trip and nailed some personal bests.

Graham Lowe was with us on this trip two years ago and was invited again by a client and friend Jim pictured below

Jim understood that he needed good gear for the trip and got set up with a custom MC Works 538xx rod which stopped a number of sizable fish in their tracks.

Brenton who is a chippy got amongst the action with this 24kg king on a Melon-Ya Studio stickbait and later his PB which weighed in at 33kg on the CB-One Zoro which he purchased off me on the boat after seeing the size of the fish I was catching on it.

Lance called it for 29kg but Brenton wasn't happy and asked to have it weighed... sure enough it went 33kg and you should have seen the smile on him. That made his trip.

This one went 26-27kg and was taken on a Carpenter rod with the Carpenter GT-Gamma 120g Mackeral with 5/0 owner ST-66 trebles de-barbed. Thats the only way to fish with these. Guys that still leave the barbs on need their heads read I recon... It's down right dangerous for everyone on the boat. Lance and Steve refuse to take fish off if there are barbs on and rightly so too.

The stickbaiting worked well in the afternoon as the water warmed making the bait and larger kings come to the surface. lance would spot a work up and steam over to it. while most of us jigged a couple of die hard stickbaiters worked the oily surface (excuse the pun :) to a froth while packs of angry kings chased the lures hard.

Warren Bell who came last year turned up with his new Stella 20000SW and Vally Hill 200-500g jig rod after taking an absolute pasting last year out here on some inferior kit and knocked over this lovely fish over 30kgs on the 500g Broken arrow

Graham did some fine jigging and landed this fish on his OJ and Jigging Master Titanium 400g rod. 

TootdaLoot! trumpeter which are a great eating fish were in abundance on this trip and happily eat metal so bring it on I say almost everyone got one except me but I still had trumpeter for dinner last night and that shows we had a great bunch of guys on board.

Buzz was happy with this one at 27kgs on his new MC Works 536 Northern Blue and Jigging Master PE5 until he got attached to the one below on his Stella 10000SW and stickbait outfit. The look on his face says it all.

Tony was as usual johnny on the spot and everytime you saw him he was hooked up to a good fish and when you couldn't see him all you could hear was his Stella 20000 or 8000 howling in the background! absolutely a pronominal angler.

He likes his light tackle too as seen on this 50lb Daiwa Saltiga set up which last year scored him a 38kg kingi in 20m of water. I wouldn't recommend this kind of gear unless you really know your stuff. As Lance constantly reminds us it's like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Tony with his 40kg Bass and Brenton with his 34kg bass

Tony gives his new Jigging Master spools a hiding on a nice stickbaited king

If you look at the tail of this king just in front of my hand you will see the wounds that some of them sported. perhaps shark bites from previous releases? The CB-One Zoro does the trick for me again and again what a fantastic lure...Its durable and made of really hard wood and the good news is it swims particularly well on the Carpenter rods which we sell as well which were initially made to perform their best teamed with the Carpenter Lures.

This was another cracker Watch the hooks on these stickbaits on this green fish I nearly copped an earful as it trashed around for its freedom.

Some just don't give up even when they are out of the water.. Hold on to it!

Twice Buzz got two on at once first these rats and them later a couple of 18-20kg models which rendered the stickbait past its used by date.

43kg Bass

45+kgs on the 500g Broken arrow and MC Works 538xx
I enjoyed the Stickbaiting, it was just sensational.

This fish went nuts and was a good 10minute fight!

When it showed and the back hook was nicely inside his mouth I relaxed a little but it was intense moments at the boat before it was hoisted in.

This one weighed in at 41kg and was caught on a Carpenter rod and Stella 8000SW loaded with 200m of Varivas SMP PE8 Casting braid.

the CB-One Zoro strikes again...

Lance is the man who makes it all happen and his right arm Steve, legions!

Perfect!

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Replies:
Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:34pm
Nice report John cheers

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Posted By: Mr.Dundee
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:42pm
All I can say is far canal good fish love bent rods.Cool

Posted By: of2fsh
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:42pm
Awesome

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:48pm
bloody awesome report Yeehaa, nice pics and plenty of info...plus massive fish....

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:49pm
OH MY GODClapheard it was good, that that is sensational.

wicked John

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: Gatekeeper
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:59pm
Great report, bring on May 2012 and round 2 i say Thumbs Up

Posted By: Aaron32987
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:05pm
That's just a frigging insane report. 41 kg King on the stickbait, what a legendary catch. Thumbs Up

Wasn't quite as good as that when I was out there for the first time a little while ago, right there in that report is why I'll be going back.Big smile

Posted By: C A
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:12pm
**** those are some mega pig kingies right there Clap

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:21pm
Well deserved JP   

Posted By: JIMMY NAIL
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:28pm
Nice fish John 41kegs is a beast!

Posted By: qsilver
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:30pm
great stuff awsome photos, upload some more if there are any 
, those kings are alot bigger than what we picked up last summer, hopefully we will do better this year!

Posted By: FisherMo
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:33pm
Amazing Stuff Guys! Great PicsClap

Posted By: Nepptune
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:54pm
Geeez, I just pee'd a little reading that.... Man you know how to make a man jealous.... superb stuff, and mad congrats and big ups AGAIN to Lance and Steve....

Thanks for the report Yeehaa Team, that is pure sickness!!

-------------
TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH.

Posted By: fish i
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 11:09pm
Solid Jackson! Fricken Sick!

-------------
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division

Posted By: smizz
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 11:22pm
looks like a great trip... 41kgs that thing looks huge..Clap

-------------
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?

Posted By: jerry69
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 11:28pm
WOW! Wicked report and trip mate! Those are some big ass kings!

Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 12:01am
Very nice....well done to all...especially John with the 41 kg on a stickbait...well hardCool

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Posted By: tobez
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:27am
great report JP... have a mission before i die to get one over 20kg...might have to to there and do some suffering lol

Posted By: Tinky
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:58am
Green with envy. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and fork out some money soon for a trip. Well done john and team.

-------------
Have boat - must fish!

Posted By: huntfish
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:12am
WOW

Posted By: skidoggg
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:14am
Insane fishing lads can see why you need the top gear to stop them horses

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:27am
Awesome trip and pics and monsters wicked stuff guysClapClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Strictly fishing
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:52am
Well done team!Nice fish all round,Looks like you scored it mint.Its definately an amazing place to fish when the weather is good.Clap

-------------

Posted By: Billfish2
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:53am
That is some awesome fishing.
Lance is really kicking ass on the fishing.
Well done to the anglers some amazing fish.
The Kingis look in prsistine condition.
Beer

Posted By: sid fishus
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:17am
frikkin eck.. 

Now that is a top trip, must be biggest average stickbait size haul in NZ easy......

-------------
I always tell the truth about things that never happened

Posted By: Fugu
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:26am
Wow, some cracking fish guys. Clap

Posted By: riga
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:38am
mental report, some horse fish there, very jealous

the conditions look pretty acceptable too

Posted By: scottej
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:25am
unreel Guys!!!!!!!Clap

Posted By: Grovo
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:14am
Amazing. Just about fishing and report of the year!

Posted By: marx
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 11:37am
Been waiting to see a pic of that fish John boy! You legend that is one seriously fat fish!!!! Thumbs Up

-------------
Science for the mind and Art for the soul.

Posted By: Fenien
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 11:53am
Team Yeehaa set the standards once again.Well done boys some fantastic fish there.

Posted By: The Dog
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 12:34pm
Wicked session boys....................

-------------

Posted By: Rockstar from Mars
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 12:35pm
Wow team Yeehaa does it again, Congrats JP on a fish of a lifetime especially on a stick bait. And Lance got to tip your hat to the man he always finds the fish......... 

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 12:57pm
Well done - grerat report and fishing!

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: bite
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 1:36pm

all i can say is thoughs are some fat fish ,Cry

great pics now do it again

Posted By: loryda
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 1:39pm
F*CK ME, THATS CHOOOICE!  Thumbs Up

-------------
"We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."

-Bill Hicks

Posted By: Obsession
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 3:36pm

A big thank you to John for organizing the trip and to Lance/ Steve for putting us on the fish and giving us a fantastic time.

Being an average fisherman it was awesome to be in the esteemed company of some “gun” fisherman and a great bunch of guys.

Highlight for me was John and Brenton coercing me to give stick baiting a go. I had one practice cast on Brenton’s Stick bait outfit to get the feel of things then one proper cast and WACK! within seconds I was attached to a 35kg kingi resulting in a personal best. It’s certainly a very visual way of fishing and even though I only had one real flick with the stick bait outfit (I was absolutely knackered after the first) I’ve now got the bug and now looking to lighten my bank account to get an outfit - I think that was John’s plan all along, and it has worked.

Posted By: PDSquid
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:55pm
Sic as f**k!!

-------------
gunjack all the teke

Posted By: bush billy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:09pm
To goodClap

Posted By: fozzie
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:30pm
Trip of a life time!!!

Exceptional report!!!!!!

-------------
Dont take life too seriously.....no one gets out alive any way.

Posted By: snapazapa
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:05pm
Wicked John!!,man those are some fat kings Thumbs Up

-------------
Live life to the fullest...

Posted By: Bryn23
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:28pm
41KG Kingie!!!!! It's Massive Big smile

I think you guys need to take a Phyiso with you on your trips, you guys must be wreaked

Awesome report

Posted By: -mAdfis HO-
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:36pm
Wow! ClapHug

-------------
FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Posted By: Monty
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:23pm
Congrats on a great trip & cheers for the report mate. All I want in life is to get a 30 kegger Embarrassed, looks like I better start saving for a trip & some new gear.

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:30pm
Brilliant pixs, sweet report and full brutal submarines!!

-------------

Posted By: KeenAs
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:34pm
holy sheeeit!!! Thats possibly the best collage of green n yellow barrells i've seen - wicked!!!

surely there must be some video?

Posted By: edge01
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:28pm
Bugger, knew I shoulda come with ya J.P!!!!!!

Posted By: ChrisW
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:32pm
Fantastic trip and report John.  Look forward to the Jig Star trip aboard Enchanter in 2 weeks.  Hope we get good weather and big fish then.

-------------
give it death!

Posted By: Wee Tin
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:59pm
Very nice John and sets the bar very high with such a great expedition.  41kgs...I shake my head in wonderment!  Whats next on the species list for the Yeehaa Team?

Posted By: Wahoo Woman
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:07am
Awesome report JP
10/10 Clap 

Posted By: Toni BG
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:44pm
Awesome boys,41kgs.. on top  only in my dreams welldone Johny  from my 10/41 Thumbs Up

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 11:12pm
That's amazing, I've never seen so many great fish.

Posted By: RoyBoyJSA
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 8:48am
Excellent....better than excellent!!!! WOW!!!! There are 5 Saffas joining Chris and Dobby for the Jigstar trip - we fly over on Wednesday...... all of us are like a bunch of schoolkids. Excited doesn't even begin to describe the feelings..... and more than a bit of fear.... we have 2 back-to-back trips with Lance..... 5 days at the Banks, 1 day in Whakatane, 5 days at the Banks. Shewee.... anything close to what you guys had and there will be many changes of undies!!!!

Great trip report, excellent pics!

Cheers, Roy

-------------
Size does Count!

Posted By: Tiger Fish
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 12:18pm
OUTSTANDING GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
I only fish with Jigstar rods!!!

Posted By: Ocean Blue
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 2:32pm
Magnifique!!! Smile

-------------
Fishing Vanuatu - Trees & Fishes Anglers Lodge | Vanuatu Mothership Adventures | New Caledonia | Malaysia

Posted By: ChrisW
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 8:28pm
go commando Roy.  No body but your mates to see you...... and a video camera!

-------------
give it death!

Posted By: carlostairua
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:58pm
awesome report JP, well done on that big king on stickbait bro!

Posted By: brown
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 10:33pm
what a ripper of a report JP....awesome fish too dude

-------------
http://www.thefishingshow.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: TOSF
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 10:43pm
Great report, congrats on the 41keger on a stick bait, nice work.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/TonyOrtonSportFishingOffshoreAdventures
www.offshoreadventures.net

Print Page | Close Window