Forum Name: Other Destinations
Forum Description: Any other destinations here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67663
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:14am

Topic: Thailand - Koh Samui
Posted By: Catchelot
Subject: Thailand - Koh Samui
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 7:26pm
Wondering if anybody has any info on the fishing and diving in Koh Samui as I will be spending some time there in October?

Seems to be quite a bit online that you can view of this Island but I wonder if anyone has first hand experience, my goal would to chase Sailfish and pelagics, but open to alsorts of offerings.

Thanks in anticipationBig smile

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Replies:
Posted By: Outram Nugget
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:37am
Hi mate, I went there a couple years ago in august, not sure it was the right time for sail fish but apparently there had been some small marlin caught the previous week and spanish mackerel.  We were in koh tao which is not too far north of koh samui.  

Didn't end up catching any pelagics but caught some nice trevally and queenfish on live squid.  Plenty of charters advertised round the town though I didn't see any that particularly targeted larger species.  Was cheap too about 50 bucks for a whole day

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:08pm
Thanks Shae yeah thee appears to be plenty of fishing charters advertised so good stuff and they all seem to cater for all walks of life, provide the gear, will provide for beginers thru to experienced and the prices look beaut. So looking forward to having a play in the Gulf of ThailandClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Nathan
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 11:31am
Was about 10 years ago that I was there, but did a charter out of the port by Phuket. We caught a heap of skippies, plus a couple of Mahimahi. Really cheap, relaxed, beautiful lunch and a bit of snorkelling thrown in. Was a great day.

Also went out with a local young guy in the longboat style thing, with a Datsun 180B motor on the back. Caught some lives and drifted them around a reef for sail fish, but no takers. Great fun though with a bit of snorkelling thrown in. Would have been good to have some extra gear eg sb or jigs to play with while we drifted.

Great place to spend some time in.

Posted By: Gundry
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 1:42pm
Koh Tao has some fantastic snorkling and diving and by extension one would assume Fishing too.  Did a little bit of diving around Koh Samui but found Koh Tao to be better its only couple island north of Koh Samui much smaller island but is a real cracker.

-------------
Winter is Meh

Posted By: jake10
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 12:52am
went fishing out of koh samui , quite cheap deals was in September when we went , small tuna and spanish mackerel and medium sized mahimahi , the boats were a bit dodgy - old wellcrafts and other yank stuff that were pretty old and tired ,but good people and good laughs  , take lots of cold beer .

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 5:07pm
Hi chaps that have been there and done that, but do we need to take some gear or is it all hired from the resorts and charters? Snorkeling gear that is...most of the boats seem to supply gear.

So maybe when in rome do as the romans doBig smile

Doing all the money changing at present, gee the yankee dollar dropped quick and travellors cheques are becoming things of the past...oh funLOL

-------------

Posted By: Panga
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:49pm
Mate if you are changing money to Thai Bhat, you can get a much better rate in Thailand.
Not at the airport or your hotel, but places like super rich etc.

-------------
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.

Posted By: ikankecil
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 7:17am
onetime, you guys should try bali fishing..

Print Page | Close Window