Print Page | Close Window

THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62280
Printed Date: 21 Apr 2019 at 4:21pm

Topic: THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)
Posted By: Kezza
Subject: THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:19am
take it away mate.....Thumbs Up...I for one will appreciate your efforts.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: ILEX
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:33am
1 x striped marlin Hokianga west coast 25/01/11 116kg
1x huge kohe and 1x skippy -note the spear hole in the skippy
also some of the fish that have come from the west coast about four out of nine this season have had broken bills ,missing keel fins and deformed pectorals    

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:39am
Awesome, Ilex - keep them coming!

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: BlackBill
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:06am

Yeop this will be Intereeeeeeeeeeeesssssting !!

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:21am
very cool, Kerran you may want to add that info about the broady autopsy you guys did on U/L

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:33am
Broadbill, Wanganella Banks, May 2006 - 2 x Frostfish, 1 x scampi

-------------

Posted By: JUST ANOTHER FISHERMAN
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:37am
Zane what did Jigga's two blue have in them.

The one we picked up . Around 170kg
3x skippy's ?

-------------
www.justanotherfisherman.co.nz

Mr & Mrs Style Ltd.
Design / Production / Merchandising.
Small run fishing tees and Graphics available.

Posted By: Peter Pakula
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:56am
How long after the fish was hooked were the stomach contents looked at?

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:41am
the stripy at the top was caught around 9am Pete so we had the stomach out around 8 hours after that 

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:51am
The blue we caught on 4th jan this year was full chocka with Alberts, according to Dave the weigh master/fish smoker in Paihia

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Posted By: Real,real gone
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 7:56pm
Zane, do you have any shots of Bayly's blue from yesterday?

Posted By: Sambosi
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:00pm
Awesome thread, this is gonna make some great reading, great idea Kezza and thanks Ilex

Posted By: BlackBill
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:12pm
Are Puffer Fish common to find in Marlin Guts ?

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Peter Pakula
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:35pm

During the HIBT the PORF scientists get together to do talks about recent findings and do research on fish during the tournaments. A number of talks in the years I went from 1989 research on stomach contents were part of the agendas.

I recall Julian Pepperal and either Barbara Bloch or the tattooed scientist from Tahiti were right into it. One of the impediments in getting good results is that apex predators and scavengers have very strong acid in their stomachs that dissolves things quickly when the fish / sharks are alive and continues to dissolve things after death until the acid is neutralised which is why it's often the case that fish that have been dead for whatever time only have large food items remaining in their stomachs which is still certainly great information, but not the whole picture.

If there could be a sanction by the NZGFC and allow the stomach and it's contents to be removed on capture the results may be a huge benefit, and I think you'll find it quite remarkable.

The stomach is emptied into a bucket and detergent added to neutralise the acid and leave the contents as they are.

Maybe just give exemptions to a few boats for one tourney...........

Posted By: Venture
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:46pm
This will be my first post on this web site i think i owe it you guys because i have read most reports for the areas Tutukaka north over the past couple of years  to see were the bite is happing. This Topic is a favourite of mine as we cut up all our fish ourselfs, we have taken two fish of the west this year First was 85kg stripey it was empty fish hooked at 9.15am  second fish 140 kg stripey hooked at 12.15 had a very decomposed gut of squid, and what we think was a jack mac or two, and just to note  neither fish was very aggresive when they came into the gear  

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:18pm
Thanks Chris & welcome 

Posted By: Dunwurkn
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:48pm
Chris was that the double header of Glinks Gully on lil grommit?

Posted By: 2SHITS
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Venture Venture wrote:

This will be my first post on this web site i think i owe it you guys because i have read most reports for the areas Tutukaka north over the past couple of years  to see were the bite is happing. This Topic is a favourite of mine as we cut up all our fish ourselfs, we have taken two fish of the west this year First was 85kg stripey it was empty fish hooked at 9.15am  second fish 140 kg stripey hooked at 12.15 had a very decomposed gut of squid, and what we think was a jack mac or two, and just to note  neither fish was very aggresive when they came into the gear  
Gd effort on 2 in da bag this early in da season skuz..  nice work - when ya say non aggresive - were ya having to drop back da lures or turn to get da bite..

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:03pm
96 season we had a baby thresher in our 90kg stripey,will try and find the photo

Posted By: Venture
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:04pm
yeah it was of glinks m8 and ya for boat name

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 7:52am
Last Feb, 118 kg stripy, off Hokianga had about 15 very recent jack macs - caught at 08.30.

-------------

Posted By: A C
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:34am
Originally posted by WETSPOT WETSPOT wrote:

Are Puffer Fish common to find in Marlin Guts ?

Yes

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Posted By: mangre 2
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:38am

Stripys are like a rubbish tin,  But the most commen in what I have seen are Macs ,squid, rays bream.

Blues, usually empty.
Only one out of about 20 odd have I found full, and it was chocka with coke skippys

-------------
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:42pm
got our first proper stripy in last night was 128kg a mean looking fish guts were full as of what looked like kohes -also check out the smaller stripy's wound that has healed maybe giant squid?

Posted By: Telecaster
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 11:21pm
Do you water-blast them with salt water, or fresh? Is it to get rid of the slime and bacteria etc before you cure them? Just curious.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 12:21am
fresh water mate

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 5:59pm
hard to tell from the photo Ilex....very interesting none the less....can't think what else it might be that would cause a bite like that but also can't see any of the tell tale 'suction' marks, hook scratches or beak marks at the site.....but in saying that there is sweet ef' all known about Architeuthidae and similar....

a BIG mofo cookie cutter....

PS...I know Dr O'Shea (Squid scientist fullah), so if you have a high res and/or other pixs of that area please send them through to [email protected]

PSS...If you find squid beaks in gamefish I'm sure he'd be keen to look at them....

-------------

Posted By: tugboat
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:09pm
not a nurse shark is it?? do they even have em in nz watersEmbarrassed

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:55pm
find much man mad stuff inside fish Ilex?

this was in the guts of a NPBFT....

it weighed around 2 kgs....

-------------

Posted By: long john
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 7:06pm
mean topicThumbs Up

-------------
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club

Posted By: Ratty
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:05pm
Damm interesting !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: JK
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:08pm
Dam kezza thats a weird one mate. Wonder what area that tuna had been in when it pick up that?

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Posted By: Diver Dan
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Dam kezza thats a weird one mate. Wonder what area that tuna had been in when it pick up that?
I'm guessing that's the sort of Jig they might use for those big humboldt squid.

Posted By: Diver Dan
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:30pm
http://www.tackletour.com/images/picsquid3.jpg

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

hard to tell from the photo Ilex....very interesting none the less....can't think what else it might be that would cause a bite like that but also can't see any of the tell tale 'suction' marks, hook scratches or beak marks at the site.....but in saying that there is sweet ef' all known about Architeuthidae and similar....

PS...I know Dr O'Shea (Squid scientist fullah), so if you have a high res and/or other pixs of that area please send them through to [email protected]

PSS...If you find squid beaks in gamefish I'm sure he'd be keen to look at them....
yeah Kez we sent him all our stomachs last year

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:08am
Awesome thread!!
Everyone who butchers a marlin should report in!!

-------------

Posted By: widerange
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:02am
Not a marlin but fyi the bigeye I got had 3 fairly fresh huge macks and a frosty in it ,that were recognisable

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:06am
Thanks for that widerange - surprising how big some of those jack macs get!! Or were they blue mackerel?

-------------

Posted By: widerange
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:22am
jacks I think,had the boney section on the sides of the wrist of the tail.600mm long or so

Posted By: otdrmn
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 6:48pm

Posted this in another post but thought i'd add my two cents from my one and only marlin.

West Coast, Kaipara, fresh mullet in guts.

-------------
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:10pm
Matt's greymouth sword was chokka full of....*drum roll*....frostfish!....Thats 100%!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:15pm
Kezza - tell us about that oarfish - are they deep dwellers?

-------------

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by otdrmn otdrmn wrote:

Posted this in another post but thought i'd add my two cents from my one and only marlin.

West Coast, Kaipara, fresh mullet in guts.

Yep on ya Graeme, cos a mate that regularly fishes west coast Ahipara area says the Stripeys come right into the shallows at night, this time of the year and feed up on Grey Mullet.

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: danjer
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 4:45pm
Got a 100kg Stripy in 120-130 off Cape Brett. Loaded with big Jack Macks. My mates dad tagged a stripy solo in 120 off the pin last Saturday, Came accross a 2metre round Jack mack ball with 4 or 5 Stripeys hammering them, he hooked up as soon as he got near it.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:46am
how is this for a wound on a fish around 80kg caught out of the bay -looks like it was grabbed by a squid 
also did a fish last week that was caught off the bird -loaded with huge pilchards and 1 big squid -the first pilchards we have seen this season
also kyles horse off the west last week was packed to the brim with kohes

Posted By: strx7
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 9:04am
Looking at the lateral line of the "kohe" in the first pic I'd personally call it a MONSTER Jack Mack........

Posted By: Niggly
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 9:20am
This skippy was in the 352kg blue we got on Saturday. Would have gone 7kg easy.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:03am
intense wounds on that fish Zane.....sent those pixs toe Steve O'Shea?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 2:20pm

intense wounds on that fish Zane.....sent those pixs toe Steve O'Shea?
yeah mate

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Diver Dan Diver Dan wrote:

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

I'm guessing that's the sort of Jig they might use for those big humboldt squid.
Mission Bay Star

Posted By: mainlanda
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 4:38pm
very interseting stuf keep it coming zane and pass on to your old man the marlin is smoked perfectly again. definately getting that landrover tyre recipe sorted.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by mainlanda mainlanda wrote:

very interseting stuf keep it coming zane and pass on to your old man the marlin is smoked perfectly again. definately getting that landrover tyre recipe sorted.

run out of tires Kyle -have to use gorse now

Posted By: Torpedo
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 2:34pm
Put a far north stripey in the boot in the weekend from the hook. Autopsy revealed this:

Only guess would be a juvenile sunfish?

Manukau YFT from the other week didnt reveal too much. Just a baby squid and a jakka or small kohe..

Posted By: fsholc
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:15pm

i think this skippy is actually an albie?? just by the pec fins and big eye ... so many blues coming in with albies in them.. very interesting

Posted By: Bazza52
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:48pm
Hi Guys
Found this bit in Wikipedia which was interesting. There was also a study done in 1955 which comes up on Google that I have also copied in the abstract. Can't get the rest because you have to pay for it!

From Wikipedia: Blue marlin are eclectic feeders preying on a wide range of prey species and sizes. Scientific examination of blue marlin stomach contents has yielded organisms as small as miniature filefish. Common food items include tuna-like fishes, particularly /wiki/Skipjack_tuna - skipjack tuna and frigate mackerel (also known as /wiki/Frigate_tuna - frigate tuna ), /wiki/Squid - squid , /wiki/Mackerel - mackerel , and scad.

Of more interest to sport fishermen is the upper range of blue marlin prey size. A 72-inch white marlin has been recorded as being found in the stomach of a 448 lb blue marlin caught at Walker's Cay in the Bahamas, and more recently, during the 2005 White Marlin Open a white marlin in the 70 lb class was found in the stomach of one of the money-winning blues. Shortbill spearfish of 30 to 40 lb have been recorded as feed items by Kona blue marlin fishermen. Yellowfin tuna of 100 lb or more have also been found in the stomachs of large blue marlin.

Abstract: Stomach contents of 55 marlins from northern New Zealand were analyzed: 38 striped marlin Tetrapturus audax (Phillipi), 10 black marlin Istiompax indicus (Cuvier), and 7 blue marlin Makaira nigricans Lacépède. These fishes feed largely on 18 species of teleosts (12 families), and 2 species of cephalopods. (Fish and squid)

Posted By: Niggly
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by fsholc fsholc wrote:

i think this skippy is actually an albie?? just by the pec fins and big eye ... so many blues coming in with albies in them.. very interesting

Correct-a-mondo

Posted By: ReelChixFish
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:05pm

Any ideas on what might've happened to this stripey we got earlier in the year?  Completely healed whatever it was...I've never seen anything like it....

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Torpedo Torpedo wrote:

Put a far north stripey in the boot in the weekend from the hook. Autopsy revealed this:

Only guess would be a juvenile sunfish?

Manukau YFT from the other week didnt reveal too much. Just a baby squid and a jakka or small kohe..

Don't think its a sunfish (mola mola) - wrong body shape....looks more like a freaky tuna....can u send me the high res please? [email protected]

-------------

Posted By: mangre 2
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:20pm
I think the largest marlin ever caught had a 150lb yft tuna in its gob....

Barts 1656 would of been a larger fish, by a few lbs if that fish had nt swollwed that  Tuna....

Amazing....

-------------
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:42pm
Hey Dave.....i reckon you are right on the money with good ol' Ranzania laevis (Slender Sunfish)...nice find on both accounts....it's a new one for me and thanks heaps for the 'challenge'....I haven't heard back from Dr. Pepperal yet but I reckon he'll concur the boys and girls at Te Papa would be keen for a squizz as apparently they are the rarest of all the sunfish....do you still have it?

-------------

Posted By: Torpedo
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 3:02pm

Cheers for taking it further Kezza. It was returned back from where it came unfortunately.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:50pm
Bumpage

-------------

Posted By: bluefox_13
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:49am
I speared a kingi over summer that had 14 flounder in its stomach just for the sake of keeping this topic going....

Guess we mgiht start hearing from a few people about what they have been getting in the bluefins stomachs soon...

-------------
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....

Posted By: SufixRockMan
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Bazza52 Bazza52 wrote:

<SPAN id=Diet =mw-line>Hi Guys
Found this bit in Wikipedia which was interesting. There was also a study done in 1955 which comes up on Google that I have also copied in the abstract. Can't get the rest because you have to pay for it!</SPAN>

<SPAN ="goog_qs-tidbit goog_qs-tidbit-0 goog_qs-tidbit-hilite">From Wikipedia: Blue marlin are eclectic feeders preying on a wide range of prey species and sizes. Scientific examination of blue marlin stomach contents has yielded</SPAN> organisms as small as miniature filefish. Common food items include tuna-like fishes, particularly /wiki/Skipjack_tuna - [COLOR=#0645ad - skipjack tuna[/COLOR - and frigate mackerel (also known as /wiki/Frigate_tuna - [COLOR=#0645ad - frigate tuna[/COLOR - ), /wiki/Squid - [COLOR=#0645ad - squid[/COLOR - , /wiki/Mackerel - [COLOR=#0645ad - mackerel[/COLOR - , and scad.

Of more interest to sport fishermen is the upper range of blue marlin prey size. A 72-inch white marlin has been recorded as being found in the stomach of a 448 lb blue marlin caught at Walker's Cay in the Bahamas, and more recently, during the 2005 White Marlin Open a white marlin in the 70 lb class was found in the stomach of one of the money-winning blues. Shortbill spearfish of 30 to 40 lb have been recorded as feed items by Kona blue marlin fishermen. Yellowfin tuna of 100 lb or more have also been found in the stomachs of large blue marlin.

Abstract: Stomach contents of 55 marlins from northern New Zealand were analyzed: 38 striped marlin Tetrapturus audax (Phillipi), 10 black marlin Istiompax indicus (Cuvier), and 7 blue marlin Makaira nigricans Lacépède. These fishes feed largely on 18 species of teleosts (12 families), and 2 species of cephalopods. (Fish and squid)

I just saw this, if anyone wants a copy of this paper flick me a PM with your email address

I also found another article;

Food of the Striped Marlin, Makaira mitsukurii, from New Zealand

Posted By: JoshW
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:41am
103kg  stripie caught jan 2011 at bird rock (cape brett) on a live skippie, out of a acre of feeding skippies...as you expect gut was full of skippies, ( they aren't all visible in the pic but I counted 10 in total).

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:54am
Bluefin tuna 2008. Afraid I cant remember any details on this particular fish but looks like mostly hoki bones in there, maybe a frostfish (2nd pic) and a piece of string.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:01am
~280kg Bluefin, caught cubing off westport 8/9/09 about a week after the last trawler had packed up and left. Gut contents that I could identify were mostly redbait and a couple of frostfish. This one had a full belly, I would of pulled about 15-20kg of redbait out of it.

Posted By: bluefox_13
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 11:01am
wow, very interesting stuff in this thread

-------------
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....

Posted By: camdog
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:49pm
This was in my broadbill from last month, not too sure what was there as it was so far digested. Just pupils and spines of maybe saurie???

-------------

Posted By: otter
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:43am

140 kg stripie last june had 2 pink moamoa in it

Posted By: harry mike
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:14pm
you serious? 2 pinkies and in june?????

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:33am
I'm hoping this thread continues on in to the oh-twelve!! Thumbs Up

Tezza - anything interesting in the pooh-shoot of your guys YFT?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:44am
Agreed. kezza - will take stomach contents shots if can!
Good thread!Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: harry mike
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 6:56pm
yay this forum has started up again!

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:22pm
Here's mine 21012012 1x frostfish and 1x mullet. Is it common to find the guts full of live worms?
I wonder if those fish on the bottom I was picking up on the sounder while I was playing this fish were frostfish.

Posted By: C A
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:25pm
mmmm thats interesting that it had a mullet in it, how far out did u catch it?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:33pm
Over 8mile to nearest land.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:56pm
Interesting find....2 species that one tends to consider live at either sides of the benthos.....cheers for sharing!

Ps: parasitic worms are very common.....lice, gut worms, skin tube worm things, flukes....yummy!

-------------

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:32pm
our one had an empty tummy.

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

our one had an empty tummy.
Always good to find the hungry and desperate ones. 
What time of day was it caught?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 6:19am
Bump to keep this alive - fascinating topic!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 7:55am
we cut up a nice stripy last week 110kg caught just off the pin you couldn't fit anything else in it's guts -it was full of massive koheru and it still wanted to eat the biggest horse kahawai out 

Posted By: *stu*
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:17am

A mates one a few weeks ago apparently had a gemfish in it.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 9:57pm
just had two come in from the hoki the guy had a few fish swimming around
a double and some more or something  
there guts were full of koheru
and one came in from whangaroa with a skippy in it
check out the wounds on the one from the west looks like maybe a mako attack imagine swimming around with half a tail

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:23pm
During the fight??

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

During the fight??

nope healed wounds -have seen some bad wounds from squid as well -it's hard to believe they survive -some mean battles must go on out there

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:25pm
Makes you wonder, eh?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:34pm
last season- i reckon a squid 

Posted By: carlostairua
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:36pm
marlin the local butcher smoked two weeks ago caught at the aldies had a mullet in its gut.......food for thought

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 5:56pm
Have heard of mullet before Epic. Who knows, maybe I should be livebaiting some of those gurnard!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 5:58pm
I have learnt recently that Mullet actually spawn out on the continental shelf...who would have thought...

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:26pm
have had a few fish come in form the hoki all have had big koheru and one had a large squid inside
one came in today caught off the pin with big squid in it and one from up north a bit was full of massive koheru you couldn't fit anymore in 

Posted By: Bugzy
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:43pm
Bump. A few tournents been on with a number of fish weighed? Even might be worth contacting the guys who smoke the fish for people?

-------------
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 1:57pm
Our stripie off North Cape was empty.

-------------

Posted By: too much
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 2:36pm
OUR FISH WE GOT HAD A BONITO AND SQUID IN IT .CAUGHT ON THE 2/3/2012..TALKED TO STEVE THE SMOKER WHO DID THE JOB UP AT TOOTS ..REAKONS THE SKIPPY WAS ABOUT 8-10 HOURS OLD AND THE SQUID FELL OUT WHEN THE BILL WAS CUT OFF..HE SAID MOST FISH THIS SEASON WERE EATING SQUID AND SKIPPIES

-------------
GO HARD STAND TALL

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 2:57pm
Ilex....when you say Koheru - are those true koheru? Or jack mackeral?

-------------

Posted By: Saltiga
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 3:16pm

Ilex....when you say Koheru - are those true koheru? Or jack mackeral?

most the fish at our one base had true koheru in them. ours had 6 in it

Posted By: Andy St.Moritz
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 5:09pm
yer one of ours this yer had true koheru "blues" in them ours had 12( and big big buggers, full gut and we got it on a live skippy crazy dont know were it was going to put it when it swallowed it), was quite close to the nine pin so may have been feeding closer to the rocks earlyer that day. Or are koheru schools out deep normal? 

-------------
There is only one kind of day I like to go fishing on.........

........any day ending with a y

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:27pm
I've seen a meatball of them out in the Kumera patch. All we saw with them were Mahimahi, but I bet there was something else there too because they weren't frightened by out boat trolling though them.

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:43pm
agree, a lot of people don't realize true koheru can grow to 3kg in size...

how big would you guys reckon those one's inside the Marlin were?????

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Print Page | Close Window