Print Page | Close Window

Canterbury Kingfish

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61451
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:35pm

Topic: Canterbury Kingfish
Posted By: MadKeen#
Subject: Canterbury Kingfish
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 4:41pm
Has anyone here had experience catching kings around Banks Peninsula, Taylors, Sumner etc ? I have read plenty of reports of fish sighted or caught but haven't found much in this forum. I plan to drag some lures or drop some jigs from Sumner to the Lyttelton Heads this summer and would be interested to hear from anyone that has done this successfully. MAybe even beside the mussell farms mite work ?

Replies:
Posted By: Brooook
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:22pm
Ah, so you're a Cantab? I'm originally from ChCH but when I was growing up in the 60-70s the only fish that Dad targeted was herrings and the occasional kahawai in the Waimak, hand set net flounder at Sumner and the odd cod at Port Levy. Kingfish hadn't been invented yet, LOL.

My sister and her husband (ChCh) have just had a renewed interest in fishing and bought rods and reels for Xmas so I will watch your posts with interest...

-------------
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,

Posted By: carlostairua
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:31pm
i've heard do the miles and look for the big clumps of kelp floating in the water, a lot of the kings are caught sight casting to kings under the floating kelp, poppers and jigs

Posted By: Bad uncle
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:34pm
about 3km out for brigton pier, there is somthing out there, mates got some kings there last year, pm sal72 on here and ask him, you will find him in the spearo's area

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:41pm

I'm a Cantab too Brooook.Smile

Back in the late 60's,  a mate of mine caught a kingi at the Rangitata mouth.

It was such an unusual catch, nobody knew what it was, true!

It got sent to the museum to be id'd

LOL

Good luck with your quest SeaRaider & let us know how you get on

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:15pm

Since I married one I am ! Originally from Auckland but decided the pace was too fast for me. Have had to learn how to fish all over again though. Now most of my time over summer is spent chasing salmon at the river mouths. Had I not got one my first season I would probably have given up by now as you put a lot of hours in without seeing a fish.

I have bait fished around the Lyttelton heads and further around banks peninsula and found some ok spots for blue cod but nothing spectacular to date and tend to head to Motunau of Kaikoura.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Epic Epic wrote:

i've heard do the miles and look for the big clumps of kelp floating in the water, a lot of the kings are caught sight casting to kings under the floating kelp, poppers and jigs
Thanks Epic, thats the plan so will keep you all posted.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

I'm a Cantab too Brooook.Smile

Back in the late 60's,  a mate of mine caught a kingi at the Rangitata mouth.

It was such an unusual catch, nobody knew what it was, true!

It got sent to the museum to be id'd

LOL

Good luck with your quest SeaRaider & let us know how you get on

Thats really hard case. Now days you would post a pic on a forum and 100 people would ID it for you.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by fd3s fd3s wrote:

about 3km out for brigton pier, there is somthing out there, mates got some kings there last year, pm sal72 on here and ask him, you will find him in the spearo's area
Thanks fd3s, will do

Posted By: gollyfish
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:24pm
yep apparently, do the miles searchin for weed. kill the motor (cos there spost to be pritty shy of those, down here. cast poppers or blu n white grim reapers and crank like a bar steward!.
personally ive neva seen one down here, but those guys in the know seem to get quite a few.

Posted By: southernwanderer
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:33am
Dose anybody know if kingi's have arrived yet? Heard that they where with the Kahawai at the mouth of the Clarence (kaikoura) just after christmas ??? Wanting to have a go land based at taylors, water is now warm enough, but would have a bit more confidence if i was sure they was here. Has anybody seen/heard anything yet?

Posted By: Afternoon Delight
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 12:30pm
On the canterbury fishing facebook page a guy claimed he caught one just before xmas at the waimak mouth, they are meant be be feeding on the kahawhi. Unless i see a pic of one caught in canterbury ill keep traveling i think.

Posted By: Bob.f
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 4:55pm
I haven't seen any yet, last year it was late February?  But they do appear around Taylors and Port Levy up by the mussel beds.

Lost a reel that was destroyed in seconds by hooking one, didn't know there were Kingfish down here, and wasn't ready nor expecting them.

From the ones I saw last year, only the very biggest make the trip or survive?  I'm looking at some gear that hopefully I'll be able to hook and land one or more.

But as I said, my snorkelling around Taylors I have seen none.  Maybe they just aren't in close yet?

-------------
Si ego cado is est non terminus

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:48pm
they'll be about by now, best to fish after a few easterly blows cos they push the blue water inshore, fish the weed rafts on the  the blue water line!

Posted By: subaruboi
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:06pm
Went out for a try at black rock, did some slide baiting and livebaiting but only got barracouta, will be going over again soon

Posted By: MrRabbit
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by MadKeen# MadKeen# wrote:

Has anyone here had experience catching kings around Banks Peninsula, Taylors, Sumner etc ? I have read plenty of reports of fish sighted or caught but haven't found much in this forum. I plan to drag some lures or drop some jigs from Sumner to the Lyttelton Heads this summer and would be interested to hear from anyone that has done this successfully. MAybe even beside the mussell farms mite work ?

I'm a Cantab living in Auckland. The main reason I moved back here was because the fishing is so much better. If you want Kingies in Canterbury I suggest two places; the northern side of Pt Levy inside the headland catches a warm current that they like at certain times over summer, and on a good day you can see the buggers just basking there. A kayak would probably be your best bet with a small livie hanging below with a 1/4 ounce ball sinker on top of the hook. Otherwise the north west side of Magnet Bay has been known to hold them, but be careful if you are livebaiting because there are heaps of seals.

I've never seen a confirmed landbased Kingie catch in Canterbury, but I've heard elusive rumors...

Hope that helps.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 10:29am
FYI for anyone who's interested. Kingies are back in Canty. Catching them out past Lyttelton heads. Haven't caught a legal sized one yet but there are some good sized buggers around so hopefully won't be long

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:08pm
Good to hear mate and cheers for the update. I still haven't caught one out there yet, mostly coz the wind seems to blow everytime I want to head out. If you ever need a crew member who has all their own gear and knows the cost of running and maintaining a boat sing out and I'll tag along.

Posted By: Hayden N
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:18pm
seen massive splashes up the back of Kahawai school near the Opihi river mouth February last year, Blue water was in really close and the sea was the cleanest Ive ever seen,I reckon they where kingfish but cant be certain.

Posted By: fear no fish
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:45pm
Hoping to get out Sunday morning.

Anyone know how far out the clean water is at the moment?

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:53pm
Was beautiful and clean right from around the heads on Wednesday. We did go out quite far but I'd be casting at any big areas of floating kelp you can find to try and lure them out. You'll definitely know about it when u find them

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by MadKeen# MadKeen# wrote:

Good to hear mate and cheers for the update. I still haven't caught one out there yet, mostly coz the wind seems to blow everytime I want to head out. If you ever need a crew member who has all their own gear and knows the cost of running and maintaining a boat sing out and I'll tag along.

Sweet as, always keen on new crew.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:36pm
Out of interest has anyone tried mechanical jigging when you find them or are you just casting jigs annd winding like hell ? Around the mussel farms in Golden bay we find that if you hook a rat and keep it a few metres under the boat his mates all follow up and anyone who drops a jig will hook up.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 9:01pm
All fish (that I've caught or seen caught) so far have been caught on high speed jigs. We have one or two ppl casting poppers/stick baits at the kelp to draw them out and as the 5-8 fish come chasing out from under the kelp they hook up on the jigs that the others are dropping. Seems to work well.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 9:14pm
Sweet, same basic technique we have used up north then. The forecast is mint for Saturday morning so I'll be out there and hopefully I can post some pics by the arvo :)

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 3:20pm

First one I got was on a jig, cast and wind like hell, it hung around under the boat so dropped a jig and WHAM!!! Second one was on a grim reaper, when you are winding like buggery and see a flash before they hit, bloody awesome, such a rush! Fish was about the same size as the piece of kelp it was under Wink

Sunday is on for me, forecast looks good. Will be launching from Scarborough. Anyone else heading out on Sunday?

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 5:36pm

So the plan worked this morning. We landed probably 40, mostly rats and I kept this one for a feed.

Posted By: subaruboi
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:33pm
Wicked stuff!! Well done!

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:59pm
Cheers mate, it's great to finally tick off a locally caught king. Hopefully the water will warm up a little more and some of the bigger fish will turn up.

Posted By: johnwest
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 9:21pm
Well done! Couple of questions if you don't mind?
How big are the kelp matts you are looking for? Is morning best or are you hitting them anytime during the day?
Have you tried outside Waimak mouth - big schools of Kawhai so could be worth a try.
cheers

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 10:19pm
The kelp rafts can be quite small and still hold fish. We hooked fish under pieces less than 1m wide. There were some massive rafts about 5m round which have huge schools of kings below. What worked best for me today was lining up the drift so we could shut the motor down and drift into the kelp. While drifting towards it we would cast a proper or jig and watch for the follow ups. Pretty much all of the fish were caught mechanical jigging with only a couple being hooked on the top water gear. A couple of years ago I tried down towards the mak but made the mistake of not getting out into the blue water and only found Kahawai. Early morning was definitely better than mid day so the evening would also be all good.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 7:34pm
Nice work mate, can't wait to get out again

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 11:35pm
i'm going to go all out over the next few weeks to get me one off the kayak...Big smile...  keep an eye out for me!!

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 12:14pm
Get out there and do it mate ! I'll be back out this weekend if the good forecast holds.

I was up Godley head yesterday and you could clearly see the patches of blue water, plenty of boats out there too.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 4:45pm
Can anyone tell me what the boat ramp at Sumner is like at low tide ? I've always launched at Lyttelton and would like to save some fuel by launching closer to the fishing grounds.

Posted By: rubberduck
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 10:09pm
What boat are you running? We pulled a Senator 620 onto a trailer at low tide (not sure how big the tide was). I'm in a senator 540 now and it wouldn't phase me at low. It just flattens out from the ramp.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 10:10pm
Beware of the Ramp guardian, he patrols the place so its worth cucking a couple coins in the honesty box.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 10:33pm
Thanks rubberduck. I've got a 20' glass boat, deep vee and draws a bit of water but sounds like it would be sweet.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 9:33pm
I'm working tomorrow. Hope you cats are getting out for a look cos it should be mint.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 10:02pm
Had a look from up the hill tonight and it's like a mill pond out there. Looks like the blue water is a little way out tho. I'm hoping the wind stays light until tomorrow evening and I'll be out there. My boats a red and white Haines V198 called Searaider II, if you see me out there come over and say gidday.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 6:58pm
Had a good day out today, plenty of fish around and some good fish landed. Still just under the 75cm mark so all went back for another battle. Loving it!

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 8:42pm
Had a crack out there today and probably should have gone earlier but found the blue water and cruising past a smallish bit of kelp saw a decent sized Kingie so had a cast and bam hooked up on a keeper. Pretty excited by that! Saw a few others but gave up after a few follows but not much more and headed back about 1pm... will def be out there for another go.
thanks Madkeen

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 11:03pm
Great to hear you guys are getting stuck into them.

I got out this evening, pretty choppy but still landed 10 between two of us. I got two keepers at 78 and 84cm and dropped a real donkey.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 2:44pm
i saw plenty of boats out there yesterday (from work) ...so i imagine there still going good????

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 5:30pm
They're still out there but it was a little bright this morning. We got 6 within the first hour of fishing then nothing for the next 3 hours. They were there but not really interested enough to bite and wouldn't hang around long once they saw the boat. The kelp is all very patchy too with long areas of small pieces and no real big rafts to hold big schools of fish.

Posted By: Fergee
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:24am
Hi Madkeen,If you ever go out by yourself looking for Kingis and need a crew or have limited space on your boat I always have a spare seat on my boat if one extra wants to join me.I have a 2012 Stabi 389 cuddy cabin with 40 4stk amazing fuel consumption 35k for $15 I fish mid week at least once and at the weekend have all gear but still a novice out there.!Not too sure if I can put contact details on here? 0211314806. Fergie.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:12pm
I'm always keen and happy to split costs or take my (small) boat. I reckon we could get a fishing net crew together and share the wealth. I don't struggle to find them but they are mostly just under size.

Might of got carried away and bought another rod and reel combo.. TAS
Running out of room

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:38pm
A fishing.net trip would be a great idea I reckon. I'm a little limited on when I can get out but a Saturday or Sunday in a couple of weeks would probably work.

What sort of set did you buy Afternoon Delight ?

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 11:32am
Got a Thunnus 8000 with a Terez rod. Light ish weight top water set. Should be fun on the rats

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Afternoon Delight Afternoon Delight wrote:

Got a Thunnus 8000 with a Terez rod. Light ish weight top water set. Should be fun on the rats

That will be an awesome set for out there mate. I've got a Sustain 10k on one of the new Ocea top water rods. Everyone else has caught a king on it apart from me, probably coz I've got a new jig set which I love using and struggle to put down.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 4:08pm
i got mine off the yakBig smile

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 4:20pm
Mate thats awesome, well done. How many k's did you have to paddle ?

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 9:15pm
just out to the levy heads, great fun , if a little stressful off the yakLOL

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 10:14pm
I just got back from a quick trip out there with the boys. A bit slow but we did get 8 including this one at 78cm.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by gollyfish gollyfish wrote:

just out to the levy heads, great fun , if a little stressful off the yakLOL

So did you paddle out from Port Levy ? There's not many Cantabs who have a local kingfish to their name let alone one from a kayak mate !

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 3:52pm
yep from by the pa....i live in diamond harbourThumbs Up

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 8:23pm
If your keen to get out anytime my cell number is on a previous post. regards, Fergee.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:05pm
I know its early... anyone heard of any Kings around yet?

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:46pm
Apparently someone caught one off Taylor's point last weekend. Going out for a look as soon as I can. Will post pictures if I find any

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 8:05pm
If your heading out, anytime and want to boat share or use my own boat out for a look about I'd be keen. Cheers, Giles 0211314806.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 6:44pm
i heard of a couple over the last few weeks being caught out in the hole, shoals were spotted on the finder hanging above the groper..........

bit early yet but i may take a look soon ....quite excited about trying for another this summer Big smile

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 6:50pm
Haven't got one yet this year, no signs of big areas of floating kelp. I'll keep looking but I think it needs to warm up a bit first.

Anyone have any gps marks for the hole? I'd be keen to have a look there sometime.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 6:53pm
need a decent craft for the hole and deep pockets too........marks are 20ks out...

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 7:30am
Anyone been out looking yet this summer ? The water temp was 15.3 degrees a few km off New Brighton on Sunday so they must be close !

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:06am
I've been out a couple of times but no luck so far this season. Will have a look this weekend again if I'm not in Kaikora

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 8:31pm
paddled out and had a look today ,water temp was 15.3 degs. but constant easterlies have blown the weed right up into the bays and there's bugger all to cast at past the heads of the bays.

quite a bit of bird activity so there probably are plenty of ky about. 

we need a nw or southerly i recon.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 8:33pm

all was not lost though....got these on cooked whole prawn and mussel baits.

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:10pm
Good feed right there gollyfish. Definitely need the kelp to raft up a bit more & the water between Pegasus bay and Marlborough to warm up a bit. Won't be too long before they turn up.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 12:34pm
anything happening out there?

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:30pm
Had a good few hours out casting at the kelp beds with no luck but did catch a rat king later in the day so they must be starting to turn up.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:56pm
that's a good sign...must be time to dust those lures off Big smile

Posted By: RossG
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 6:54pm
Ollie. Looking to head out past the heads in the morning if the weather is kind enough. Just me and my partner at this stage and Sue is a sightseer only. If you keen you can hop on board.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 10:35pm
bugger i was away fishing .........but i do have something for everyone so here we go.......

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 10:36pm
a couple of months ago we all had a wee giggle when some white baiter's spotted a great white feeding off a river mouth in kaikora, well there have been a few other sightings too since and this picture was taken on friday, just a few hundred meters off shore in south bay .

the guy who took it estimated the shark at 6-7m m long .

it seems she (the shark)has made south bay a regular haunt, maybe even home. no surprise considering the recent boom in seal populations.

i'm not one to scaremonger, and i know the chance of being attacked is very slim however..it would reckless and irresponsible of me to not advise my fellow yakkers/snorklers/divers  on this forum to avoid south bay until it becomes clear the shark has gone.

you have been warned but make up your own mind. 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 3:52pm
Ventured out today... was a bit lumpy and found it hard to find any kelp... seemed to be more kelp south of the heads but cleaner water towards Brighton. Saw a couple of big fish a couple of K's off shore of the estuary sitting under small bits of weed. Managed to hook into a small kingie trolling in clear water along a current line and ended up with a school under the boat... no more takers but heaps of Couta and a couple of Kahawai - one very big. So one up for the season on first trip out.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 11:11pm
As a scuba diver that pic is not quite enough to put me off one of my favourite grounds but it'll sure keep me clenching next time I'm there.

With the big kingies you spotted under the kelp what what your method? Casting poppers to draw them out and jigs to hook up or just trawling past? When we find the big fish I've never had a problem booking up, it's usually finding them that is the hard part

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:03pm
WinkTry this, cast past the lump of kelp, start with a walk the dog retrieve then just before you get to it goto a faster retrieve, ie, sweep/wind or hard out wind/pump. Give the impression your lures a munted fish looking for saftey, that suddenly spots danger and bails like a cat on a hot tin roof!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 5:35pm
Last year I caught doing exactly that. Re the big Kingies - we weren't really ready for them at the time (will be next time) - since we were having trouble finding the kelp we were just trolling. 
Do you find its best at first light or are you getting them later on? 

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 6:49pm
Can't speak for off shore, as I'm land based, but first thing in the morning seems popular with most, but that's usually to beat the "Pegasus express", of the bricks what i can be sure was kingy has been low tide mid arvo.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:45pm
wen't for a good paddle (18ks round trip)out of port levy today, found a lot of small bits of weed around the heads and out to 1 k off shore, then it dryed up well before the blue water. chucked lures at everything but no sign of kings for me , probably get a better result on a sunny day ....water temps between 17.5 and 18.1 is lower that i was expecting considering north side of kaikora last weekend was 21.9 degs...i'll be out there again soon , once my aching arms recover!!

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:40pm
Forecast looking good for this weekend. Will be heading out for a look. Anyone else heading out to try their luck?

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:42pm
must be there by now!

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:30pm
Fingers crossed Ollie.

Posted By: Tirpits
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 6:06pm
Going to give it a crack this weekend they are there as 2 weeks ago we had a big school of them under our boat for around an hour managed to catch 2 rats then the barracuda showed up very frustrating must of caught over 30 of them and each time pulling them in the kingfish would follow them to the boat tried jigs/reapers/poppers to no success the barracudas were to quick this is out of motunau so we still managed a feed of cod do the larger kingfish hang around lytellton? as we've caught quite a few out motunau way but they all have to go back

Posted By: sir doofus
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:28pm
hey tirpits when is the next time you going out to motunau be keen to tag along in my boat more the better

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:46pm
Plenty of Cuda about today but not much else.Conditions not the greatest and weed almost non existent.

Posted By: tanked
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by sir doofus sir doofus wrote:

hey tirpits when is the next time you going out to motunau be keen to tag along in my boat more the better

I'm planning on going out tomorrow morning if the forecast holds up, if you're keen?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:14pm
Hey mate how bigs your boat? As I beach launch so I don't have to worry about the bar? Pm Meir u want I was ment to be going out tommorow but my boats battery cable is frayed and I don't like taking my boat out if she's not 100 percent hopefully go out next Sunday if sea is good(I've never had any luck when the seas rough) I usually trawl to and from my bluecod spots ( if u catch a barracuda or kawhai it pays to hold them under the boat for a minute or 2 as kingies seem to be nosey buggers and come for a look) but most of my luck has been with work ups or while hauling up bluecod they come around so I always have atleast one rod set up with a jig on my boat ready to go good luck cheers Troy p.s I'm by no means an expert this is what I do and it seems to work always welcome other ppls advice

Posted By: tanked
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:33pm
Hey troy, boats only 4.5m, never tried beach launching although I'd maybe give it a go on a calm day with someone in the know. Have got a on old tilt trailer. Fair enough not going out, not the sort of place to take chances. I'd offer a ride but until I alter my seating I'm pushed for space with 3. Always keen to head out with others, feel less vulnerable in a small boat then. Pm me if you're going out next week, I'll be keen. Will keep in mind re the kingies, have never targeted them till now.

Evan.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:43pm
bloody easterlys are blowing he weed ashore.....a good southerly is needed , but at this stage it's not looking like its gonna happen untill the kingfish have left!

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 1:06pm
ive got a cresta craft v17 I plan on going up to motunau on 6th feb Waitangi weekend leaving home at 330am if  any one keen to get up that early to tag along

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 7:05pm
Went out for a look today... Couldn't find any kelp so trolled around a bit and managed to hook up on both rods I had out... Bit of a mistake when you are on your own. Lost a lure but got a kingie in on the other which had to go back... Later foul hooked a couta which as I got it to the boat a large kingie porpoised right over it. I noticed the couta had some bite marks so let some line out wondering if the kingies were having a go at it... Then something hit it under the boat and I lost that and my gear. Has anyone had experience of kingies having a crack at the coutas?

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:02pm
i'm sure they would johnwest.......a shark wouldnt leave bite marks, they usually cut the fish in half!

without the weed it sounds like trolling is a good option , what lures are you guys using and how deep do you run them?

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:00pm
These days i use a rapala sxr14 in blue or a grim reaper white and blue or silver  but ive had a bit of luck on  a salmon ticer out the back on a cheap $30 rod and reel combo caught our 1st 4 kingies on this set up sure they were rats and had to go back but so much fun on the light gear i troll at around 5-7 knots good luck cheers Troy

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 11:26pm
troll speed on yak is 1/2 that so i'll need to go with sometghing with more action .....probably a rapala.

Posted By: jaytheham
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 6:30pm
Was fishing off the rocks on the North side of Banks Peninsula this morning, a Kingi about a metre long cruised past just a couple of metres away, he grabbed my live-bait but spat it back out after a second, drifted up to the surface and eye-balled it, then left! Damn, It was pretty exciting anyway! First time I've seen one in the wild.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:50pm
plenty off kingis around pigeon bay at the moment but if you haven't got a boat its along walk out to the rocks to catch them

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:22pm
yep i'm hearing from the mussel farmers that there here in numbers! 

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 12:14pm
Just need a good weather window now. Can't wait for this wind to bugger off!

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 3:56pm
Guys, if kingies are following blue cod up to the boat, put a live blue cod out (legal size of course), kingies will quite happily eat blue cod. Use a ledger rig and lower it to the bottom and lift it back up so it is about 2m off the bottom, put rod in rod holder with a light drag on and wait for mr kingy to come along and scoff it. Baracuda may be a problem though.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window