Forum Description: Free-divers & spearos chat about their sport
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56209
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 2:25am

Topic: Paua Recipe
Posted By: B1g_Pun
Subject: Paua Recipe
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 5:24pm

Whats your favourite way to eat paua?

Being from Auckland I dont get to hit them that often so I have never really tried experiementing too much. Just the basic fritters with a bit of sweet chilli and mustard thrown in for good measure.

Also looking at buying myself a mincer before my next trip south, what should I be looking for?

Will something like this do the trick?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Kitchen/Small-appliances/Food-processors/auction-308386785.htm - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Kitchen/Small-appliances/Food-processors/auction-308386785.htm

-------------
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" William Shakespeare

Replies:
Posted By: Unclejake
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 5:48pm
UJ's world famous dish of paua awesome:

• Shuck paua and observe their gender. The gender is not important but makes you sound knowledgeable.
  • Slice the flesh as thinly as possible, along the length of the animal. I like it about 1-1.2mm thick
  • In a pot heat butter, ground black pepper and a dash of nampla (fish sauce). Once that is all hot add Kiatia Fire chille sauce, that is the only chille to use BTW (Qaz told me)
  • Add the sliced paua to the hot butter and brown it slightly using a wooden spatula
  • Add some green Thai curry paste and a dash of soy sauce
  • Simmer away for a bit longer and then add untold chopped onion. I like one small onion per paua
  • After a few minutes turn the stove right down and add cream, jut covering the flesh
  • Simmer that hooch for a few more minutes then eat it and drink the cream
  • It rules (Herb's mate LJ told me) and is best served with at least 6 beers

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 5:52pm
Cheers UJ sounds mint. Do you slice up the skirt as well or do you ditch that and just eat the body? I have mates that wont eat the skirt but personally I really enjoy it.

How do you tell gender BTW?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 6:23pm
I use the skirt and think (much like the head of a fish) that is where the best taste is. Geofinz discards the skirt as it it a bit tough and messes with his dentures

Female paua have a pale blue/green sex organ, males white.

Posted By: Geofinz
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:03pm
I use a fitter recipe that contains diced red onion, garlic, chopped coriander and basil (fresh), sweet chilli sauce, salt and pepper out of Al Brown's NZ seafood cookbook Go Fish.

Don't want to risk any copyright issues Disapprove by posting the recipe but if you are looking for the definitive NZ seafood cookbook then Go Fish is worth a look.

I'm also keen on thinly sliced and quickly sauted with garlic and red onion or alternatively with soy sauce and fresh ginger.

Posted By: felixx
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:09pm
Arent Paua gastropods, and hence hermaphrodites?

Anyway,
In my opinion a paua pattie is a sin,
Here are a couple of recipes...
1) Get a good sized Paua and criss cross it with a knife and rub in oyster or chilli sauce, pepper, crushed garlic and leave for a few hours
Then fry in butter for 4 or 5 min either side and slice thin and enjoy.

2) Steak your Paua and mix in a bowl with crushed ginger for a bit
Flour, egg then breadcrumb
Fry till golden brown

simple but good

-------------
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe

Posted By: Troy Tempest
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:19pm
Cut paua thin, marinade in olive oil, crushed garlic, coriander and chilli flakes for a few hours  Flash fry and put in sandwiches (thick, white bread!) for lunch.
Alternatively, use the same mix and make a pasta sauce with a fried onion and tin of diced tomatoes get it up to temperature and throw in the fried paua at the last minute and serve on whatever pasta you fancy for dinner.

-------------
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by felixx felixx wrote:

In my opinion a paua pattie is a sin,
So did I Felixx until I tried Al Brown's recipe to see if the kids liked it

Posted By: Qaz
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:45pm
Sounds like you guys don't like paua? coating it in all those seasonings etc?

-------------
http://www.gladiatormarine.co.nz/
A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other.

Posted By: Ces
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:49pm
so, do you eat everything un-seasoned qaz?

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:56pm
Unseasoned Cat?

Qazic

Posted By: JAKE D
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by felixx felixx wrote:

Arent Paua gastropods, and hence hermaphrodites?

paua have the ability to be either male or female.
they are technically polygamy, so in a colony of paua there will be a few males to "service" the many females, if one of these males is killed then one of the existing females will switch to be a male.

its similar to the sandagers wrasse where all juviniles are females and the most dominant of these turns male and breeds with the rest of the population in a specific area

Posted By: Diver Dan
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:05pm
I can vouch for Geofinz/Al Browns recipe - it is stunning! I also like to do my paua schnitzel style - slice the paua into thin steaks, flour, egg, breadcrumb, shallowfry in hot oil and butter, squeeze lemon over, and salt and white pepper - retro, but great!

Posted By: Rusky
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:12pm
I did the Al brown recipe "Sauteed Paua Slivers with Fried Potatoes & Preserved Lemon & Tarragon Butter" two weeks ago.

All I can say is that its the best paua ive ever had, not that ive eaten much of the snail varietys.  Not tough which I thought was a myth when people say its like butter in their mouth when taking a bite.

Posted By: xport
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Qaz Qaz wrote:

Sounds like you guys don't like paua? cating it in all those seasonings etc?

Have to agree with that............Paua, onions & butter on the bbq Thumbs Up

Posted By: Kinabal Lector
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:18pm
bash it and have whole steaks is the best. cut into strips and cook for awesome sushi.

but make sure you eat the gut raw when you shuck it its all time good, and Im not taking the piss Im serious.
But after eating them every week of most of my life id say whole paua tenderised in between a rag to avoid the neighbours getting shot all you catch.

Posted By: spearfisher916
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:04pm
I shuck em then leave them on ice overnight in the fridge.
Next day they get a quick bash between a teatowel, sliced thin (skirts and all of course) and fried for 30sec in butter with finely chopped red onion, little bit of garlic, grated ginger and a dash of finely chopped chilli.
Squeeze over a lemon then eat while steaming.

BTW, I used to just slice and eat same day, but found the stay in the fridge overnight with a bash really does soften them to perfection.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:05pm

Sounds like you guys don't like paua? cating it in all those seasonings etc?
You have a point Qaz, but when you cook fish, or paua, or chicken or whatever, sometimes its great to have a variety. I remember being served roast lamb with garlic and rosemary for the first time many many years ago, and thinking, why have they spoiled this lamb?

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:21pm
In all honestly , Im like you guys as well , I season everything I eat from the sea...

I only eat teraki (which is a pain because I've never shot any) scollys and crays. Never had paua...
I even season scollys with 4-6 in a shell with T sauce, cheese,chillie and pepper grilled under the BBQ , like a morney.

Mint Wink

-------------

Posted By: The Jackal
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:02am
Drop the Paua in the pot while cooking crays for 60 seconds. 

Shuck then cook the paua whole on the bbq with some coat and cook for 2-3 mins.

Cut into steaks then serve with chilli sauce.. yum

Posted By: _Jimmy_
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:40am

Sounds like you guys don't like paua? coating it in all those seasonings etc?

Clap top notch Qaz. Clap

slice thin, quick fry in equal parts butter and olive oil. 
once out eat it with a bit of aioli and good bread. 

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:43am
A while back, on someone elses recommendation, I tried blanching them for 45 seconds in boiling water before shucking them. It certainly tenderises them nicely but IMHO they don't taste anywhere near as good when you cook them up later. Now I tend to chill them in the freezer for half an hour or so. 
This seems to put them to sleep so that when you shuck them them the muscle stays relaxed and they come out of the shell much more tender. Be careful not to leave them in the freezer too long otherwise, to state the obvious, they freeze and you will have to wait until they thaw before you can shuck them.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:50am
I agree about the blanching - the flavour is not so good, and I don't like the texture. As for Qaz's scallop recipe!!!!!!

Posted By: tom1
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:32am

shuck and braise whole in a nice light stock+ garlic and ginger and  a dash of light soy for 4-6 hrs- come out super tender.  Look at the SanFransisco Chronicles' food column on line @ SFgate.net, they often have abalone recipies when the season starts.  Wish our paua got as big as the californian reds, minimum size is 178mm/7". 

As an aside, their courts are incredibly severe on sentensing for abalone poaching, with HUGE fines and custodial sentences possible.  Unlike the soft-c$#k approach taken by our courtsAngry  You even get a US$1000 fine if caught taking an ab without a measuring caliper (which has to be of an approved type), even if it's legal size.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Diver Dan Diver Dan wrote:

I agree about the blanching - the flavour is not so good, and I don't like the texture. As for Qaz's scallop recipe!!!!!!

Don't bag that scolly recipie until you have tried it , its amazing. - Hated scollys till I tried it.Big smile

-------------

Posted By: shiraz
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:22am
In addition to Tom1's comment re California. I spent 1/2 day diving well north of San Fran back in '96. You have to pay a day licence of $US10 & can take only 4 abs. Don't reckon I could taste any difference to paua.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:25am

scollys with 4-6 in a shell with T sauce, cheese,chillie and pepper grilled under the BBQ , like a morney.
Astounding creativity Qaz

Posted By: herby
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:39am
Big shells and small scallops?

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:42am
Scallops with no roe? The same recipe would work for discs of stingray flap, or tofu 

Posted By: TG
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 11:52am
Never even had Paua. Need to make a plan.

-------------
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"

Posted By: felixx
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by shiraz shiraz wrote:

In addition to Tom1's comment re California. I spent 1/2 day diving well north of San Fran back in '96. You have to pay a day licence of $US10 & can take only 4 abs. Don't reckon I could taste any difference to paua.
Thats quite reasonable, when you look at the population base and I bet the fisheries authorities use the $10 a day to help the fishery. 4 7" Paua is a good feed by anyone's standards.

I wish I could remember the herbs and spices my parent's chinese neighbours use for paua.
All I can remember is it involves steaming for ages, and the paua is so tender you can cut it with the side of your fork

-------------
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe

Posted By: SteveByrne
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:38pm

I can vouch for Geofinz/Al Browns recipe - it is stunning! I also like to do my paua schnitzel style - slice the paua into thin steaks, flour, egg, breadcrumb, shallowfry in hot oil and butter, squeeze lemon over, and salt and white pepper - retro, but great!

Def try to get hold of Al Brown's book, all the Paua recipes are awesome, especially the cream of paua soup.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 1:57pm
Current limits are now 3 a day, max of 24 per year.  only reds are allowed, no pink, green or black abalone to be taken.  We are VERY lucky...

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:33pm
Yea the scollys we got , we got from whangarei heads were big shells small scollys.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:59pm
what's the biggest yellow-foot anyone's found?  I've seen some nice sized ones, guestimated as legal, but left,  at north cape, but would be interested to know about how big they grow?  I've only seen them in the far north, i know the size is 80+ but do they reach 100? 

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:54pm
I have got them to 120mm

Posted By: Seth
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:00pm
Will let you guys in on a bit of a secret in preparing paua.  Get your fresh paua and put it in the microwave for 40 sec, 1 at a time.  Once done put straight into cold water and then you can shuck straight away with very little effort (just use your thumb and it will pop straight out).  Then give it a very light bash all over until you feel it soften.  I then cook in with a hunk of butter around 4 at a time.  Once done I set aside and in the same pot I mix up a white sauce using cream, high grade flour, salt, pepper and butter.  Once done  throw the cooked paua back in to re-heat and eat whole.  If done right they are tender enough to just use your fork to cut them. Thumbs Up

Posted By: long john
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:35pm
I can cut my pauas with a fork just by beating them the old fashioned way. I thought that was just normal?

-------------
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:50pm
I use a knife to cut my paua. I thought that was normal.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:56pm
Yes Herby, but  can you use a fork, or a spoon, or even your credit card- if you have to use a knife to cut your paua there's a problem?
 <3

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:10pm
I'll eat my paua with a knife and fork, you can stick with your credit card and spoon method if you want.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:28pm

Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

.....or even your credit card

You can also used a rolled up $20 note too , works good , oh ...your talking about PAUA!!! opps! Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:33pm
Cheers guys, seems to be a few gooduns out there. I think I'll try UJ's Thai Green Curry and cream concoction tonight (the kicker was the accompanying beers).

Bit stink I only have frozen paua from my last trip to Stewart Island.

I'll let you know how it goes.

-------------

Posted By: The Jackal
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:40pm
Eat em raw like a apple

Posted By: oldyella
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:35pm

Will definitely have to try the schintzel method DD - just sounds like something a bit different. Some great wee recipes on here.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:27am

I have got them to 120mm

Big smile location please?!Wink

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 5:30pm
Made the green curry and cream jobby last night. Had some friends round and they all loved it. One chick thought it was too spicy so I added some more cream to her one and she ate it happily.

No one has made any suggestions on what I need in the way of a mincer.

Thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by tom1 tom1 wrote:

I have got them to 120mm

Big smile location please?!Wink
Biggest ones I have found are from Ward to Kekerengu, but good luck finding them!

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:13pm
hand mincer.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:20pm
And mince them half frozen. Works best

Posted By: Big H
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:22pm
Try this, shuck the paua trim the guts etc put whole on moderate heat with a slice of lemon on top and cover with the shell. When the top of the shell is hot the paua is done.... Tender as

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:35pm
Hand mincer???

Like this???
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing/Salt-water/Other/auction-308487672.htm - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing/Salt-water/Other/auction-308487672.htm

-------------

Posted By: cartoonz
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:41pm

No one has made any suggestions on what I need in the way of a mincer.

Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

Here you go. You can mince your gum boots with one like this. Try the Whare House or K-mart if I remember. I do them twice and then If the wifes not home for a few hours I'll use her flash blender and make into paste, then patties. Remember, for your safety wash blender thoroughly.     Geek                             

Posted By: Omebic
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:33pm

OP [BP] we have a mincer like Cartoonz posted. It is good but don't tighten it up too much and keep it oiled. We also use/d the blender but pasting paua seems a tad weird even though we often did it.  Early this year we got an electric mincer from Trademe [$150] and that is great as you can deal to a few paua in a short time. Clean it though as a spec of paua can s hit up a room real easy. 

Pauamincegratedgingerpepper/ronllinspringrollwrappers/cookinhotoil/eat = peepantsmaterial

Cleanbashslice/marinadewpepperandlemon/flashfry/eat = scorematerial

Great thread this and some nice recipes coming out.

MMMmmm

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:08pm
Used a hand mincer for a while but got sick of that and ended up buying a kenwood mincer with all the bits for making sausages. Works a treat on the paua, haven't tried the sausage making yet.

Posted By: normy
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 9:41pm
So many great choices, just wish we got enough to try them all, but in my experience, whatever you do, paua have the best flavor if you never let fresh water touch them  Try and wash and process in seawater 

Posted By: chillwave
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 9:55pm
as mentioned earlier, put them on ice for a little bit and they shuck real easy

personally i dont bash or mince. just dont cook them for too long and theyll stay tender

good knob of butter in a pan, fry off a diced onion until golden, drop in paua (whole or sliced) for 30 seconds, add a decent shot of cream, bring up to a gentle simmer, poach for 1 min. salt and pepper. consume while reflecting on how privileged you are to be eating such a delicacy

Posted By: SpearoMike
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:00pm
i don't bash them either i find best to boil the crays and put the paua in its shell for 1 min. they come out real easy and you can pull the guts out etc really easy. paua is soft too!

-------------
here fishy fishy.......... ><(((((º> ............><(((((º>

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:11pm
never had much sucess with boiling pauas-I still find them a bit on the chewy side. Maybe boiling them too long?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:13pm
I've tried the blanching in boiling water - I reckon it does make it tender, but I don't really like the texture you get. I still like it sliced horizontally into steaks, drenched in seasoned flour, and fried in hot oil, squeeze of lemon juice - perfect

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

never had much sucess with boiling pauas-I still find them a bit on the chewy side. Maybe boiling them too long?
Tried doing it live in the shell? A minute does the trick, then let them cool

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:27pm
explain this horizontal slicing please

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:29pm
Shuck paua, place foot down on board, cut into 5mm slices horizontally, ie in the same plane as the chopping board.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:36pm
right, so you get ovals as opposed to....upside down 'T's? Sounds awkward. Is the first one just the black sole of the foot and the last 3 or 4 like little medallions?

-------------

Posted By: tuco
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 10:58pm
Sounds good DD, will give it a try. My usual recipe of give away paua to others is quite fast and effective though.

Posted By: case
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:49am
whence making paua fritters ,i think its worth adding a gonad or gutbag or whatever it is at about 1 to 4 ratio. 1 gonad to 4 steaks.it makes a stronger paua flavour.

Posted By: Wha North
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:09am
UJ's sounds pretty much how I do it but with coconut cream instead.  I have a mate who doesn't eat seafood but loves the sauce.  And don't drink it, sop it up with buttery toast.

Had a guy from the paua council? who said 10 minutes in 60 degree water and then you could slice them with a spoon.  Dunno, never tried it.

Also spoke to a poacher who said he just lets them die and they relax so it's no trouble shucking them.  Makes sense when you think about it, I'd tense up like buggery if someone shoved their thumb under me shell and ripped me out.  I tried it and it works a treat. 

I just usually don't have the patience to wait.

Posted By: Wally123
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:15am
i found pouring boiling water over them kills vthem pretty fast and leaves no effort in shucking them. but as tuco said there fast enough to give away haha

Posted By: CBSenior
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:20am
Question is, do you boil in fresh or sea water?

Posted By: Spearsniper
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:46am
All sounds too hard to me. I just hit them on the foot with the butt of my knife when I catch them. This seems to kill them, and by the time I get home they are both tender and really easy to shuck.
I don't have the time or the inclination at the end of the day to mess around with boiling them, or letting them die a slow death.
I'm a fan of crumbing them after beating them mercilessly to get them thin enough to cook quickly. A bit of lemon pepper seasoning in the crumbs just adds a bit more flavour. Cutting them into horizontal discs would work, but I could just see me removing a hand trying that.

-------------
http://spearfishingreview.info" rel="nofollow - www.spearfishingreview.info
"If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again"

Posted By: JRDO
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:50am

If I didn't like them I don't think I'd just take them to give away, I don't find it even slightly rewarding muddling around finding them.

Sea water for all sea food if possible, that's a no brainer.

I got told last night that you should only add the white guts to the mince not the green ones, thoughts? I've never added them at all before.

They're not even hard to shuck, people must have sissy hands if they find them hard to shuck.

Have been finely slicing the medallion part horizontally lately and mincing the rest for paua wontons and fritters.

As above, I also prefer them after they've had a merciless beating and the meat is only just hanging togeather

-------------
BANNED from doing anything about anything anymore.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 12:18pm
yes, I'm of the merciless beating school too. Too many people pussy around with a couple of what equate to little more than slaps and wonder they they are still tough. I smack them until they are falling apart, with a great split through the middle. When they cook they shrink back together.

-------------

Posted By: Rusky
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 1:43pm
JRDO, the green guts you refer to are the gonads i believe.  White is the jizz, and green is the eggs.  Have eaten the female & male genitalia cooked in the pan.  There ok, but wouldn't rate them.

Posted By: SpearoMike
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:55pm
i boil mine in fresh water, can't say it makes much of a difference if you ask me.

-------------
here fishy fishy.......... ><(((((º> ............><(((((º>

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:57pm
Genitalia??

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 5:05pm
Yeah, genitalia... Fried Paua cocks and vaginas Lj - yummo!!

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 5:27pm
We all enjoy the sex organ of a scallop....

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:00pm
And some of us the ovarian output of the kina

Posted By: chalkeye
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:33pm
phwoooaarrr Embarrassed

-------------
float like a crowbar, sting like a bee

Posted By: Bull
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 8:53am

Cut it in disks DD and then crumbed it with garlic, chilli, herbs and panko. Was choice.

-------------
http://www.squidfish.net/

�.��.���'�.�����'�.��.���'�.� ><((((�>

Print Page | Close Window