Forum Name: Heavy Metal - Jig fishing
Forum Description: Anything related to jig fishing here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55298
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:48am

Topic: shimano saragosa 18000f
Posted By: Nic ####
Subject: shimano saragosa 18000f
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 5:22pm
 Saw one of these on the wsl website and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one? I cant find many reviews on them. Will be my first jigging reel but i have done a bit of jigging before.. they good or is there better for that price? cant go higher $ as its the most i can afford Unhappy  Any advice will be great! thanks

-------------
The harder you train, the luckier you get!

Replies:
Posted By: BruceNZ
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Nic #### Nic #### wrote:

Saw one of these on the wsl website and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one?

I am by no means an experienced jigger so this may not be worth much.  I fish with a Saragossa 8000 and a mate has the 18000.  I found the 18000 to be too big for a day's fishing, but it does give you options (puka, for example) with that much line.  Drag on both is good, but has a 'feature' where you go from too little drag to locked up in about 4 clicks, and you need to set it somewhere in that range.  I understand the models up in Shimano's range (Stella, Twinpower) don't have this problem, but I couldn't justfy that sort of money.

I like mine: you can jig or cast with it, and as I fish left-handed it's the cheapest way to get a reel suitable for jigging with sufficient drag.  You obviously have to like spin setups, and I notice some down sides compared to guys who have overhead rigs (takes me longer to get down, and getting hit on the drop is fun).

Would I buy it again?  Yes, I think so - it's a reasonable reel, seems to be well built (only had mine 6 months or so), and works for the way I fish and the budget I had at the time.

BruceNZ

Posted By: tobez
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 5:17am
one caugh this fish  -23kg - and last thru 2 snapped rods - they do the job

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 11:29am
Used mine yesterday Jigging out of Whakatane which I would say is a little heavy to use all day long as I alternated between my smaller JM200/Ocea 2000p combo which is very lite, pulled in a nice sized king pulling a bit of drag and the odd snapper. It was primarily bought to go on a popper outfit and second use for the spin jigging with PE 8 line. If setting up for jigging I would probably go with a smaller reel like the Stella in the 10000 class with PE6 line, but would get the same reel again for the popper outfit, overall for what you get is reasonable value compared with the Stella.

-------------
---/---
Better a Slackline that goes Tight than a Tightline that Goes Snap.

Posted By: Snag
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 12:30pm

Hi.

I owend one, fished a few times with it. Wasn't overlly impressed with so sold it on and got a stella

Not a bad reel esp for the price.

Perfect for the beginner/budgeted typed fisherman plus like the others said, u can use anywhere
any time and on so many different rods.

Posted By: alan syme
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 6:15pm

a 30 kg foul hooked wahoo on saragosa 18000

i have had mine for 2 years and have thrashed it, it is still going well. i agree that it is heavy for jigging which is a downside.

it can certainly stop some fish and i have put a lot of hurt into some good ones using 37kg braid. it is not a stella but one person mentioned to me that it has similar components to the stella, he called it the "poor mans stella". it is a shimano Thumbs Up and has some good, smooth drag. i am a happy customer especially at the reasonable price.

would i buy it again, yep for sure. but if i had the means/funds a stella or saltiga would be better, but that is some big dollars.

Print Page | Close Window