Print Page | Close Window

longline's- how to make one?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Kite Fishing, Kontikis & Torpedo's
Forum Description: The place for chat about beach toys!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46298
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:21am

Topic: longline's- how to make one?
Posted By: BaKed n FisHing
Subject: longline's- how to make one?
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 5:29pm
ok guys, finally ive picked up a couple of sit on kayaks and paddles really cheap tho i love fishing the bricks these maybe handy for goin to boom or something too, till i can afford a tinny boat anyway
so was wondering how to make up a longline, personaly dont like netting thats really cheating

from what i can see maybe a garden hose reel, some rope/heavy line maybe 500m?, and alot of clips to make up the trace's

would like some pics of actual setups to get me started eg: mainly type of line and how the clips all hook up- im a monkey see monkey can do kinda person,
and any other info i really should remember

cheers
carey

Replies:
Posted By: CanadianJohn
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 6:18pm
check out paul's fishing kites website, most of the info you need on there. 

Posted By: mouthu
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:00pm
buy one, it'll be less hassle and a damn sight easier. local tackle shop probably has them.

-------------
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.

Posted By: ropo101
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:10pm

Where are ya  based bro, im guessing my old home town wgtn...I can send ya pics of my set up that we used at lake ferry and off lyall bay and evans bay to great success...The hose reel with at least 500- 1000m of 4mm rope as a backing works well as you can drag it with out ripping ya hands open..25 hooks on 75mm shark clips with 150lb trace and 7/0 recurves .I will send ya some pics at the weekend of my set up...Used it a cple of weekends ago with zambizi and got some good snaps..

-------------
V8 Super Cars are back,Go the holdens!!!

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 6:40pm
pm'd

if you make one you have more pride for your gear and when you catch something Smile, and cheaper too

Posted By: OrangeMonkey
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 7:24pm
id like to see them photos to - could you post them here - hosereel - genius i knew it did not have to be the $150 rees you see online.

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 7:25pm
LWS i've made a half dozen now and can serious say you don't save much by making them. but you can customize them for your needs which is great. 
garden hose reel is too bulky for a kayak. and the backbone shouldn't need to be more then about 100m. make your droppers to suit the depth your fishing. nothing worse then dropping your longline into 10m of water when your droppers are 40 long. they drift all over the surface. 

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 1:12am
was thinking the garden hose reel stays on the beach and ya drag the line out?

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 7:22am
not much of what i said is very helpful then! i've only made longlines to set from a boat. yours would be more like a kite/kontiki setup without the kite then i suppose?

Posted By: sid fishus
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 8:39am
Originally posted by CanadianJohn CanadianJohn wrote:

LWS i've made a half dozen now and can serious say you don't save much by making them. but you can customize them for your needs which is great. 
garden hose reel is too bulky for a kayak. and the backbone shouldn't need to be more then about 100m. make your droppers to suit the depth your fishing. nothing worse then dropping your longline into 10m of water when your droppers are 40 long. they drift all over the surface. 
agree the time consumed making your own up and buying the bits aint really worth it. Shop around and buy a kit made up. Pauls fishing kites would be an excellent place to start.  Once you get using it yo'll find you are changing bits and replacingyour traces etc... So ya end up with one you have a fair bit of home made stuff in anyways....

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:14pm
ah well i bought one today, 8 hours at work doing nothing so hopped in the truck and out to hunting and fishing i went, bugger using my own gas haha and get paid for it

$129.99 got me a wee 1500 meter longline and x25 hooks/clips etc, costed more than one sea kayak w/paddle so it better pay off LOL
now hopefully the weather looks good this weekend and head out seatoun or pencarrow on the yaks and give it a whirl, just need to get a metal hose reel to wind it on too for a handle and sturdyness  Big smile
OH ITS GONNA BE A GOOD SUMMER!!!!!!

Posted By: m@dfisho
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:25pm
Go to a farming shop and instead of a hose reel get an electric fence reel. Probably make it easier to wind in as it will be at your height as opposed to a hose reel

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:31pm
yeah i popped into wrightsons there in porirua and was looking at them, unsure tho if i'l get this amont of line onto one tho but am contemplating it, will sort before friday night so im ready saturday
missus heavily pregga's happy to escape whenever possible now LOL

Posted By: Zambezi
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 9:36pm
If you're after a regular feed they're great.  I just got into them recently after loosing my kite I got a one to throw of a kayak, had that go horribly wrong on sunday out these ways, so It's been converted to a kontiki type setup which I will just run off my old daiwa 600h with 80lb braid and an old 37kg boat rod and paddle out on the yak.

Also looking to use them as a cheaper source of baits for the shark fishing.

-------------
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 9:55pm
regular feed sounds good, sick of the missus giving me grief, out all day and the chilly bin still empty dammit,Ouch  even my 3yo looks at me like you useless c***!!!!!!
im always happy with just 2 fish, one for me and one for them, and something new to trySmile

now im sitting in the middle of my lounge tangled in nylon trying to figure out how this all goes together
starts with a real long piece, i guessn float on end then sinker just before the hooks, and tying up what i think is a snood knot,
well the only knot i know and use everywhere anyway and easy, turn swivel 5 times and put nylon back thru and tighten

Posted By: Zambezi
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 10:57pm
No need for a float even.  1st figure out how many hooks you want to run.  Then decide on trace lengths if you're making you're own you want the stopped spaced far enough appart then so that with 2 stoppers/crimps between each trace and they don't touch.

Well that's the formula a fella at work gave me.  I thimbal or big clip swivel at one end to attach BOS (bust out sinkers) and you should be good to go.

-------------
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:34pm
cool,
the pack had 170lbs line precrimped thingys spaced about a meter apart or a lil more, figured do the traces floor to thigh high= easy height to sit on couch and tie up too,
seems to appear to be about right so i think it'll work
but weather not nice at the moeDisapprove

Posted By: Thamesfella
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 11:35pm
Howd you get on mate?
Thinking of making up a similar...any advice?
Cheers

Posted By: Kontikiman
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:10pm
Hi I make and sell Kontiki longlines and boat longlines to you requirements
Checkme out on trademe  aniela01  or send me a message    Cheers Craig

Posted By: topshelf
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 11:36pm

I done was to have 50mtrs of backbone and 30mtrs of mainline connected to it ,then put it on
    one of those large plastic  hand line reels , swivels on both ends line ,two 40oz sinkers each
    of them with 15lb line double looped 400mm long with longline clip tied to it , this in case you
    snag it you can break it off without loosing your backbone, i made my own traces and put them
     on a pvc pipe ,but you can buy them all ready made ,the floats two empty two kg buckets the
     ones you buy the salted baits in  the plastic shops have em, i found these buckets worked well,
     when fishing at dusk /night I would fill the buckets [floats] with super market shopping bags
      just a couple of bags then put $1 torch the small ones in the bucket the bags will stop the
      torch from rolling round you will be suprised how well it lights up , thats if you decide to leave
      long line in one place and go for a paddle
      make sure the mainline 30mtrs is connected to the handspool first then backbone last
      use swivel to connect two together  now imagine this to be a 25 hook
      ledger rig ,have the bait pre cut  i use squid ,now connect first sinker lower to bottom 3 to 5
      mtr depts ,now you have to get into a rythem  take the trace off your pvc pipe ,hook once
      through bait ,clip on now do this every 2 or 3 crimps , till you come to end of crimp section
      now add the last sinker now if you dont want to use floats then let out about 10mtrs  of
      of mainline and then  put hand spool between your legs  to hold you there kayak is float now
      dont be surprised when you are setting ur line you actually feel the fish already hooking up
      unless they are big tugs i just leave them till after  longline been  sitting for 20minutes
      for more fun do some fishing with ur rod remember now theres a big berly trail in front of you
      with all the baited hookes . hope something in here might help some one

Print Page | Close Window