Print Page | Close Window

Frewza Alloy Pontoon Boats

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29137
Printed Date: 22 Apr 2019 at 7:03am

Topic: Frewza Alloy Pontoon Boats
Posted By: Spearsniper
Subject: Frewza Alloy Pontoon Boats
Date Posted: 06 May 2008 at 7:34pm
Has anyone seen a Frewza pontoon boat, and can advise on the finish, weld quality, etc.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Dinghys-row-boats/Aluminium/auction-146397713.htm - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Dinghys-row-boats/Aluminium/auction-146397713.htm

I was looking at getting one of these made into a centre console, with an outboard pod.
It was priced up with trailer at just over $9300.

This would price it well under a Stabi 359 centre console, and I am looking for some input into whether these boats are up to par.

It will be beach launched, and used for spearfishing, so mostly within 10km of shore.

Replies:
Posted By: brown
Date Posted: 06 May 2008 at 7:46pm
a local up here (whangarei) has one the high sided model and I was really impressed with it. good welds with a finish that would be hard to beat. he has had 4 fishing out of it comfortably with a 30hp Merc...

did you see this?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=153362256 - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=153362256

Date Posted: 07 May 2008 at 7:19am
Yeah, saw the Stabi Centre console. Just could not fathom where they got the $30k price tag from. Allow $10k for hull and trailer, and another $1000 for the steering, and that leaves $19,000 for a 40hp engine?????
Hence the reason I am looking around for something similar, but without the inflated pricetag.

Date Posted: 07 May 2008 at 10:28am
yeah I'm hearing ya...

Date Posted: 07 May 2008 at 5:34pm

Brown, have you heard from the local with the Frewza about how the hull rides?

Posted By: batfastard
Date Posted: 07 May 2008 at 7:23pm

mikes marine have got a couple of 3.8m ones in stock.i shaw some pics of the 4 m frews centerconsole on trade me last year and was keen as .but in real life the sides are not that high.top build quality though.but im shore if you spoke to him it could get it close in size to the stabi.dosnt hurt to ask if he can do that. can you keep me in the loop as im lookin around for some thing that size.cheers mike

-------------
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......

Date Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:10pm
I'll see if I can track him down

Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 12:09pm
I have been sent a few pics from the team at Frewza:
What I was quoted for is a hybrid of the two boats shown. Centre console, but with the high sides. What is not shown is a model with an outboard pod.

Posted By: DeKay
Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 1:27pm
Looks nice Q and not 30K!

Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:12pm
look at the height of the helm wheel compaired to the heght on the sides,and then look at the stabi and you will see what i mean

-------------
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......

Date Posted: 09 May 2008 at 7:56am
I agree that the height of the console is very low in the Frewza when compared to the stabi.
It looks as if it was designed to be driven while seated, as opposed to the stabi, which is clearly made to be driven while standing. My preference in smaller boats is to drive standing.
I am slowly getting a list of things to go back to the team at Frewza with.

Date Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:09am
spearsniper the point i was trying to make  is the hight of the pontoons.in the frewz they are below your knee on the stabi they are half way up your thigh.so not alot of fall over the side protection.the steering wheel is the same hight on both boats.its the pontoons are diffrent.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2008 at 4:41pm
batfastard....there are two different height sides. the image of the centre console shows the low side - the one I am looking at is the high sided version (2nd and 4th photos)

Posted By: Contract
Date Posted: 23 May 2008 at 3:43pm
I have just placed an order for a center console 4.1. I found out that the guy that builds them, actually built Stabis a while back ~ go figure ! I have bought a 56 liter Icey Tek Chilly Bin & instructed them to fit it as a seat (rather than a pedestal). They will upholster it to get the height right for sitting on. I have custom designed the forward rails and had solid side grab rails put on (for getting in from diving or towing dredge / skier). I have had the center console waterproofed by sealing the bottom of it with an ally plate. Front seat upholstered. anchor locker, on a roller trailer, a 40 HP electric & power trim merc motor for $14995 plus the cost of the chilly bin & freight to akld. A Stabi you say ? You would have to be nucking futs.

Date Posted: 23 May 2008 at 3:52pm
Sorry, my $14995 was for the high sided version. Looking at the photos in this forum (which I was not able to get from Frewza !) I think i will get him to "fill in" the gaps around the forward topping. Once these are filled in, I think I will put in a couple of small water tight access hatches to have an additional dry strorage area for ropes and things

Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:25pm
Contract. looking forward to the pics of your finished boat, and a rundown of how it goes.
Under $15k sounds like a bargain compared to the StabiBig%20smile.

Posted By: mudgutz
Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:22pm
what motor was on the stabicraft?

Posted By: mudgutz
Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:29pm
another pointof interest-did you compare hull thicknes-pontoon thicknes etc,thats apparently the can keep the price down-did you compare apples with apples as the saying goes-resale value also comes to mind!

Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 5:01pm
There is a 40 merc on mine and Matt's had a 40 E-Tec 4 stroke so there is no question that the E-tec is the better beast. Hull is 3mm & pontoons are 2mm. I am not planning a kamikaze attack on Flat Rock light so I think it should do. Resale on a $15,000 rig? If that is your concern, you can't afford a boat. Boats are just holes in the water that you pour money into. If you are being "sensible" ~ anything that fly's, F#ck's or Floats, you would rent ! I am just going to be using it at a "round home" boat when the wife won't let me go out on our launch !
Will post pics when I take delivery

Posted By: Black Fly
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 10:48am
Contract, when do you take delivery?

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 12:05pm
Should be 'round the middle of June. They said 'four weeks from deposit" but nothing ever goes to plan !
When I get it, i'll try to post a few pics (but I am not sure how to at this stage)

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 2:24pm
Now well underway with my new FREWZA. As I thought, nothing is simple, but the guy down there is just fantastic. We communicate every few days and he takes photos of progress to suggest changes for me. He wants to "off set" the console to give more room down one side of the boat (& less on the other) but I am sticking to center mount. I have the "progress photos" if anyone wants to have a look, but you will have to ask me to e-mail them ([email protected]) because they are 1Mb each & I don't know how to reduce to post on this forum. Also (at no extra charge) he decided to put the motor on a pod ~ because of the better performance / power & strength issues. This means the transom needed to be reinforced more so I have extra seating.
The company is really great to work with.Clap
All I have to worry about, is if it floats when I get it !
Now considering painting top of pontoons (Black !)

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 2:36pm

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 2:40pm
Managed to download some progress photos

Posted By: worksux
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 3:22pm
she looks the biz mate,
keep us posted as im sure a few guys from here would be very very interested  in the finished product.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 8:31pm
looking awesome.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 12:22pm
More photos through this morning.
H
Have settled on this configeration. Rear grab rails & rod holders (+ BLACK motor) about all that is left. Starting to look "finished"

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 12:30pm
I have TWO mates who are deadly serious in getting one. One owns a 34' Launch, the other , a 42' yacht. They are going to keep them as "wet, windy day boats" that they play with when their wives won't go out in the big ones ! It is an extreme value package and if anyone is reading this, I think they should get in quick before FREWZA put their prices up. $24,000 would be good value !

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 1:19pm
Contact..........
I thought you said $14-15K or is this the larger model at $25K
Have been looking at these for a while but will probably bring a cc in from the USA.

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 8:05pm
I am waiting for the final price, but  am expecting it to be around $16120 including extras that I have asked them to do. This is Boat , motor & trailer. What do you mean "cc". Must be pretty price competative to compare with this !

Posted By: madspaz
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 8:30pm
Looks good there buddy.

What are the main differences between these and stabis?

Do they have long range?

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Contract Contract wrote:

I am waiting for the final price, but  am expecting it to be around $16120 including extras that I have asked them to do. This is Boat , motor & trailer. What do you mean "cc". Must be pretty price competative to compare with this !

cc  = centre console
not a new one but looking at a 2000-20004 20-24ft model fully setup for 40k NZ landed.
things are real tough in the states and cheap boats everywhereWink got a mate heading over for 3 months and he needs something to do so he can check out boats for meLOLLOLLOL saves me having to go overWink

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:38am
The main difference between these and the Stabi's is the price from what I can tell.
A Stabi the same size with a 40hp E-tec is 30k, whereas the Frewza is 15k (albeit with a cheaper 40hp engine).

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:01pm
I have had so many "private e-mails" on this project. Though I would post a couple of photos of layouts that I did not take up on. they were not suitable for what i wanted, but they may give someone else some more ideas. This config actually gives more room "up front" but will make it harder for us fat ******* to get into the boat when launching.
Also, for my purpose, it will only ever fish two !

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 5:10pm
I will be interested to see where they run the remotes and steering.
The build is looking good, and having the boat customised is a big selling point- especially if it costs the same :-)
Just wish my boat would sell, and I'll definately be into one of these.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:24am
My boat is "on the way up". My only disappointment to date has been the running of the remotes and this is probably because I did not make myself clear enough at the beginning. The cables are inside a conduit down the hull side, but actually come out of the console about  20cm above the deck level. This cuts off the entire Star'bd side of the boat. I think I can rectify the problem with a few dollars and an alloy welder, once it gets to Auckland ~ so I am not too upset. (Boating is all about compromise)
When it arrives, I will post more pics.
Price ~ remember ~ I did not pay this figure, but for new orders, Brendan wants $18,500 delivered to Akld. This is for the basic high sided model with pedestal seat and rear pod. I have had isolating switches, the center console made water tight, filled in a portion of the topside extension, a switch panel put in, a change to the bollard / fairlead set-up , changes saftey rails & a few other little things.
The freight to Auckland is a grand, the high side surcharge is a grand, so I guess he now wants $16500 for the basic basic package ~ this up from $14999. I feel it is still very very good value and would like to hear from anyone else who thinks there is a better value offer on the market. (& no, I'm not on commission !)

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:27am
Last 'factory photo". I want to call the boat "FUGLY" but am running into troubles with my wife !

Posted By: Capt Asparagus
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:52am
Nice looking little rig. I hope you did have the consol offset...it does make gettig around the boat much easier.
Very nice little rig indeed. Je suis jealous.
Congrats!
Although...2mm pontoons.... sounds a little thin, what are others made of, just out of curiousity?
Would a yammy motor have been a similar price?
Cheers, Stu.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 10:01am
I did not have the conole off set. I figured that "if it was good enough for Matt Watson ~ it was good enough for me !"
This will be a very selfish boat ~ 80% of the time there will be only one person in it. 20%, only two, so room is not really an issue. Pontoons are actually 2.5mm & hull is 3mm. There are 4 air chambers in the pontoons (& one under floor). 16 degree dead rise.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 5:13pm
Didn't take long for the price to start going upShocked

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:05pm
For what it's worth ~ took the boat to a metal fabricator today, to get the cable problem fixed (only $25.00 plus a longer steering cable !) and the engineer reckoned that the welds were "the best he had seen" and had been done by "someone who was right handed and bluddy knew their stuff". Clap  Will post add pics when I remember to bring my camera home from work.

Posted By: Dagwood
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 7:48am
Bump!

Would be keen to hear how the boat's going. Looking at getting something similar - a 3.8ish. It'd be far more basic with a tiller steer and no electrics, (other than a fish finder).

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 11:46am
This set up is the best thing since sliced bread !
I would only change one thing ~ they have a built in floor & scuppers. Scuppers are a P.I.T.A ! I would suggest ANYONE buying a Stabi or a Frewza, or anyother boat with no bilge ~ that they have a sump hole of say 100 x 100 x300mm included at the transom floor. This way, any odd spalshes of water can collect there and be either drained by hand or with a bilge pump. At the moment, I get a bit of slopping about. A p#ss-off, not a problem !
The high sides is the way to go. Had 3 guys out in 36 knots (Inner Harbour AKL) when I was busting to try it out for the first time. We didn't get any fish, but we didn't get wet either ! (not seawater, anyway !)
Tiller steer high sider is around $5000 (I think). The people at Frewza are really nice obliging people ~ talk through with them, what you want.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 5:20pm
Great to hear you got it on the water Contract.
How does she ride?
Any chanse of a pic of the alloy cover you got made up to cover the remotes and steering coming out of the centre console.
Being a diver and always in a wetsuit, having wet feet doesn't really worry me. Putting down some swimming pool matting (the stuff made of tubing) will stop the sloshing a bit, and also raise your feet 10 - 15mm off the floor to keep them a bit drier, and warmer.

Posted By: JigNut
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 8:44pm
They look like a pretty swiiish boat SmileWhen are you getting one Spearsniper?

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 10:16am
The ride has bettered my expectations. I have had small tin boats before & anyone that tells you they are "soft" is a liar ! As I said, I was out in about 35 knots with three up & it was quite comfortable. The next day, the wind had died down and we shot across to Rangitoto from Milford (two up this time) There was a small chop coming home and my passenger was sitting in front of the console. He felt that he had been attacked by Freddie Mercury, so he came down as sat on the fish box behind me. Solved all the problems, but two little fat mailto:f#@kers - f#@kers  sitting motorbike style, was probably not a good look ! We came back at 30 knots and the ride was VERY COMFORTABLE. The extra thick upholstery was really worth the money. Icey tek make a stock cover, but it uses foam about 5cm thick. Mine has about 12cm and the difference is well worth it.
Re the cables. I replaced the original 12 foot steering cable, with a 14 footer and encased them all in coil conduit purchased from an electrical wholesaler.
I had an engineer form an aluminium bracket (just like a downpipe braket) and we screwed this to the side of the console. This forced the conduit to the floor of the boat and then it raises up the sides to dissapear into an existing aluminium "tunnel" to the aft of the boat. It has neatened the whole thing up. Not ideal, but can easilly be fixed if someone were to buy a new rig. the secret is to buy a longer steering cable. I would suggest a 16 footer next time.
I can now walk right around the boat without having to hurdle the cables !
Figuring out an easilly worked bait board is my next project. I think I will have two ~ one up front & one aft because there is two distinct fishing areas on the boat. Two will save a lot of mucking around.
I am sorry, I have not posted more photo's ~ the weather has been mailto:[email protected]@it - rat ~excrement  or I have left my camera at work. I have had a great cover made for it (thanks North Shore Canvas) so it takes a couple of minutes to undress for photo's. Had the graphics done last week. The wife lost ~ it has been christened "FUGLY". I had a graphic made of a Witch riding a fishing rod ! I just have to try to explain to the neighbor's children, what FUGLY means !!!!!
It is not the prettiest boat on the water , but any Scotsman would be proud of her.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 8:16pm
Torcea - after reading Contracts review, looks like I will be getting one as soon as mine sellsBig%20smile.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 8:30pm
If you are in the Auckland area ~ you are welcome to come around and have a look see !

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 9:34pm
hi contact im realy keen to come for a look.if thats ok .if so when would suit you.cheers mike

-------------

Posted By: blufin
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:16pm
Check out  the http://www.reelboats.co.nz - www.reelboats.co.nz he can do the centre cosoles welding is impecable custom build for you and at a fair price

Posted By: blufin
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:21pm
not a bad boat but Ithink I would get annoyed with the sloping floor you need a flat floor with some toe space to brace your self that floor will get very slippery after awhile do you think

Posted By: Mullins
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 1:52pm
You'd lose quite a bit of space if you raised the floor. Stability might suffer a bit too, shifting all that weight higher.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:09pm
Not quite sure about "raising the floor"
Where did that thread come from ???

Posted By: Mullins
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:11pm
It was the only way I could make sense of Blufin's post. If he thinks the floor is too 'sloped' presumably he must be talking about the sides of the hull that slope down to meet the floor. In which case the only way to increase 'flat' area would be to move the floor up.

Boat looks damn good by the way.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:19pm
Never thought about that. The floor is never slippery, it's checkerplate. There is a small area of "angled" floor, but I don't really consider that i would use it whilst fishing. I don't beleive in standing up to play a fish. I like sitting down on a comfortable seat so that I don't knock my beer over. All the girls say I look better when I'm not standing up anyway!
I sit on the Icey tek and brace against the side of the boat. That way I can always reach another beer or slice of Bacon & Egg pie, right under the seat!

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:45pm
Contract
Dose the water run to the back?
and if so, just for now why don't you just stick a big sponge in each cornerWink until you decide what would be best...
BTW where is all the water coming from?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Spearsniper Spearsniper wrote:

Torcea - after reading Contracts review, looks like I will be getting one as soon as mine sellsBig%20smile.
Can't wait for a sample there SpearsniperWink It looks like a bit of youLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 8:45pm
Maca's stabi lets water in the scuppers if they are not tied up. I assume this will be the case with the Frewza as well.

Posted By: fish food
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 9:11pm
check theres no grit or build up inside the scuppers where they seal, mine sometimes let in water other times is dry as.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 7:51pm
cheers mate for letting mrsb and myself look at your wee baby.looks good.top value for money.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 4:40pm
Finally got around to taking some "location" shots. Sorry I was so long. Note, I have changed the steering. The bigger wheel / gearing makes it much more comfortable. Really, it rides like a dream and has no trouble in the Waitemata chop, but I should have listened to the people who told me to stay away from Black !
Halfway to Rangitoto today and the back blastard shat it'self. Stopped for no reason at all. I had power trim, but no ignition . Took me 20 minutes to realise that the earth wire on the ignition solenoid had worked loose. If it is doing this with only 1.5 hours on the clock, what will it be like in a years time ? Anyone want to trade a 40 back blastard for a nice little 40 e-tec ??
First time I have used the Northstar GPS / Fishfinder. It is really easy. I never read manuals and I had no trouble at all. Clear and clutter free. The tranducer kicks up a bit of water at speed, so I have lifted it about 1.5cm. We will see what it is like next time out. Wish I could get my wife to like the name ! 

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 4:45pm

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 5:20pm
Looks like a great set-up with a fair amount of work-space for the length. What is the internal beam? My current Stabi, a 433, is a tad narrow at 1.1 internal beam.

Being a Stabi man, my previous boat had the same name but it eventually got re-named because of the comments. It still caught fish!

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 5:52pm
Looks like a winner Contract.
What would you do different if you could start from scratch (apart from the merc)

Posted By: CanadianJohn
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 7:44pm
its a nice boat, glad that wire worked loose on a nice day and not when its blowing 25 knots mate!

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 9:31pm
What would I do different ?
A)I would put a sump bilge against the inside centre transom and have a small bilge pump there to get rid of the small amount of water.
B) I would have a "spalsh guard" about 200 x 80 directly above the bracket the transducer attaches to. It kicks up a lot of water at speed & a bit of this finds it's way inside.
C) The Icey tek bin is a 70 litre model. I think I would go for one the same height & width, but chose one a little less "long". The extra room gained would allow easier access to the fuel tank and give a lot of extra room
D) I would get all the cabling run in ally channel ~ none of this plastic tubing stuff.
E) The standard anchor bollard sits on the top of the bowsprit. I saw this in an earlier photo and had it changed to be mounted internally. Definatley the right decision but they had to cut the first one off & this has left a bit of a mees up front. They have covered it all with a bit of ally plate, but make sure you get this done from the start. It will just be a neater job.

Apart from that ,it is just great the way it is. The ride is so much better than I expected & a lot of this comes down to the 5 inch foam seat I am sitting on.
The steering wheel change ~ I did ~ is also a big improvement. I remembered seeing these wheels for sale at STANLEY Marine (Whangerei Town basin) $35.00 I think. They are over $150 in Auckland ! Looks quite cool also. 
I am not sure of the all up weight. If I hade to guess, I would say only 280 ~ 290 Kgs. No problem launching or retrieving ~ rollers, not these stupid teflon skids.
Are you ready to put your deposit down yet, Spearsniper ? 

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 5:14pm
I'll be putting my deposit down the second my boat sellsBig%20smile
Contract - thanks heaps for the photo's, and all of the info you have provided. This has been a huge help in making a decision for what to buy, how to fit it out, and what make of motor not to buyWink.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 6:32pm
I have owned a Merc before (about 20 years ago) but I think that this was when a pre delivery check was indeed just that .... a pre delivery check ! How they (The invercargill agents (South Marine ?) could miss a loose wire like that ~ I don't know. Funny thing is though, they "lost" the Pre D Mercury check list.
None of this reflects on FREWZA tho ~ they are neat people.
It's just those Back Blastards and, it would appear, their agents !

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 7:30pm
Spearsniper
BTW, what are you trying to sell ?

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 7:31pm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-168842487.htm - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-168842487.htm
The Merc on it has been so good, I would be happy to hold onto it (sounds like 1 in  a million). Boat, trailer, steering and electronics for $10k, or  the whole rig for $14,500.

Posted By: Manaia
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 6:37am
Have read on various forum pages about the stabi having a rubbish ride especially the smaller models.

I just wondered what diff if any is there in the hull between the frewza and stabi?

Also if the pods cause the hard ride why not wrap the alloy hull up around the outside of the pods from approx the start of the bow rail to create a mean chop cutting machine

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 8:20pm
As spearsniper said his boat he has now has only done 50hrs since he has owned it maybe 2years so what makes anyone think he will use a Frewza any moreLOLWinkAye Q....
Good luck bro with your new Waka just got to sell the one you got now aye....
BTW if you need anyone to test drive it for you Im your manBig%20smileLOLWink

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 2:38am

Torcea - thanks for the offer of being  a test pilot for a new boat.Tongue

I'm sure the other boat would have got a few more hours on it, if it were not for the fact we have 3 boats (3.8M, 4.3M, and 6.5M) between the 3 of us that spearfish together. The big boat was the preference, as we would head out in wind up to 20kt's, and it had a bit more deck space.
With the cost of fuel going up, a smaller boat that could handle the conditions, and had room for 3 was required - hence the whole Frewza thread.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 8:03am
Exactly Q, the way gas is going up small boats with four strokes are the way to goThumbs%20Up...
Look forward to seeing the new Waka over summer around our place paradise....

-------------

Posted By: _Jimmy_
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 7:41am
anyone been in the 5M Frewza?

Posted By: Carbine
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 7:46am
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-172675961.htm

-------------

Posted By: Blue Mahimahi
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 1:41pm
Hi Guys, Very interesting reading, I have ordererd the 4.1 high sided boat.
I had a sump put in, just big enough to take a small bilge pump and added a bracket to screw the transducer to. All up delivered to Auckland $6,100. It should be here early this week. I was hoping it was going to be here by labour weekend, but no.
I have bought a secondhand 30hp tiller steer yamaha and a second hand trailer for it. So in total it cost me $9000.
Boat will be located in Whangarei.Smile

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 8:04pm
That sump will be worth it's weight in gold !

Posted By: huntfish
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 8:00am
That is a great looking rig Contract. Awesome

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 9:08am
Thanks Huntfish.
Bluemahimahi ~ the transducer bracket was "standard" for me, but I found that when my transducer was attached to it, I got a large "rooster tail" coming up from it when at speed.
I lifted the tranny a little bit & it has improved the problem, but it is still there.
If a small deflector was welded to the transom, some 150.. above the bracket, I think would solve the problem.
It would only need to be about  200 x 100 and welded at an angle of about 70 degrees (30 degrees down from horizontal)

Posted By: Blue Mahimahi
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 6:20pm
Thanks Contract, I thought I would bolt some sort of deflector on when I bolt the transducer on.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2008 at 11:22am
A fishing.net member came around this weekend to have a look at "FUGLY". He wanted measurements to check garage space etc. Interestingly enough ~ this "4.1" Frewza actually measures 4.65 from pod to nose ! No wonder it seems to handle better than your average 4 mtr dinghy !

Posted By: theclimb
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 9:48pm
have a frewza aswell was originally a 4.1 highsided dingy but got it turned into a centre console.....hull is so well finished the workman ship is great Brenden certainly does a nice job..i would recomend to everyone as well. Ps..yours looks like a great setup contract good on ya!

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 1:28pm
Anyone reading this thread should bring themselves up to date with my "Back Blastards" thread in this same forum. The FREWZA is absolutley fantastic, but make your own minds up about my brand new Merc 40 HP,  after reading my "calendar of events"

Posted By: 41south
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 2:02pm
Hi all,

Have been watching this discussion and I really like the look of this Frewza high sided CC rig.

Do you guys launch and retrieve single handed much, and if so how do find this size/type of boat for single handed ops? Does the trailer setup have a lot to do with it, or is it more technique? I'd be looking mostly at ramp usage, but the occasional beach launch is certainly on the cards.

Thanks.

-------------
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." -- Mitch Ratliffe

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 2:32pm

I regularly launch by myself. This was the main reason for my buying a boat of this type. It is definatley easier if you have some sand beach. I generally run the boat up (quite firmly) onto the beach & put the skeg unto the sand to hold it.

90% of the time, it is still in the same place  when I come back with the trailer !
I just winch it up on the trailer from the sand. It doesn't need to be floating at the time.

A concrete ramp is OK if it is totally sheltered (Milford ~ if you are in Auckland) but I don't think I would be game to winch it off the dry concrete !

They are the proverbial Piece of pis to wind on. The trailer they come on is a wobble roller set up. You can stick these bunk bed trailers up your deaf & dumb !
The only small critiscm of the winch is that it is nylon rope. It tends to "bite" on itself and pile up on one side. Other than that, they are the next best thing to "the perfect one man rig"
Go for it ~ you will not be disappointed

Posted By: scotty1
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2009 at 8:26pm
Hi Spearsniper

Sorry to bother you.  Just about to place an order for a Frewza 4.1 and wondered if I could have a quick chat about yours.   06-3546665 or 027-2409320.
Regards
Scott

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 7:21am
Spearsniper ended up getting a Surtees. I (Contract) bought the FREWZA. Will ring you tonight
Cheers
Wayne

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 12:41pm
Have been playingwith my little Frewza now for 18 months. I can't believe how much fun it has been. A couple of weeks back we launched at Christian Bay (Tawheranui) using a 4wd Audi 1.8T ! Great little tractor ~ (wish his wife could have seen it). It was blowing 25kts from the NE and was probably too rough to go out, but go out we did. 1 hour later and 16 snaps in the bin, we were home and the little FREWZA just loved it. Something of this size should not be so good in a sea.
Over the past 12 months the guy that makes / sells them has sent around 20 people to have a look at my setup. I think more than half of them have ended up doing something with him.
My son uses it, my son-in-law uses it, my friends use it. It's bullet proof.
At christmas, a small crack appeared in the cosmetic outer weld of the pod (non structural). A phone call to the maker in Invercargill and he told me to "get it fixed" and he would send me a cheque. No why's, where's or "how much's".
This type of boat builder needs the recognition he deserves.
We are already talking about a bigger version ~ another 400mm wider and 1000 longer. There is nothing major I would change (other than the small things mentioned previously) ~ the rig works a treat. Keep up the good work Brendan.

Posted By: tropic
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:26pm
Hi Contract, been interesting reading this thread. I am thinking of getting a 4.1 high sided Frewza with tiller steer 30HP Merc. Frewza have this as a special package incl trailer for $12k on trademe. This my first boat so I am trying not to spend too much - my mods to the initial specs.

Will probably go for:
Anchor well
Anchor bollard inside front
No middle bench seat, instead an icy-tek long chilly bin upholstered
Rear bench seat upholstered
bilge trap at the rear with bilge to be added later
Bait board on side?

Any other advice that you could give?

Would prefer Yamaha but Merc cheaper and he does the package!

Will be used for fishing / spearfishing Wellington region

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:33am
I would not waste my money on a baitboad. I have actually made up three ply baitboards that actually "wedge" over the gunnals. The ali topsides are the same width all the way around the boat & this means my bait boards can be "clipped" anywhere around the boat to be located where ever there is someone fishing. (I use soft plastics mainly ~ anyway)
One other thing maybe worth considering (I will be doing it on my next one). With a CC of this size, you are going to get wet at some stage ! More so the poor person sitting in the Icey tek ! Look at the pictures of my boat and see the shape of the front bow rails. I actually designed & scetched these for Brendan. The standard ones are (in my opinion) too small and look odd. Second time around, i am going to increase the height of the rails by about double and bring them back aft about another 300mm.
I am then going to have a canvas insert made that will whip onto the rails and deck. This will help deflect a lot of spray and (I think) will look quite cool. Fishing News's Senator CC gave me the idea, although I think theirs looks a little "heavy".
You won't go far wrong building with Brendan & Kirsten. They are lovely people and deserve all the plugs they can get.
I won't comment on your engine choice. I went Merc for the same reasons as you and it proved not the right decision for me. Follow the "Back Blastards" thread and make your own mind up. I can only pass on personal experiences. There is a guy down your way (Hardfellowellies ???) who loves them as much as I hate them.Censored

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:07pm
Tropic ~ just had a look at Frewza's ad on trade me and I see a photo of their (low sided) one with an Icey Tek up front. I guess this is the look you are going for ? Without question, i would suggest to turn the bin around so that it faces north / south. Two will never sit on it whilst pounding in a decent chop. You will finf they tend to fall off each side. If it is set up noth and south, they will ride like pillion passengers ~ quite friendly really Heart.If you take notice of my rail suggestion, there will be the added support of the rails on each side. Remember, these are small boats and you are going to get a Freddy Murcurying in a decent sea. The North South configuration will also give you more access around the boat.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:51pm
Hi Contract, thanks for the tips. I was actually thinking of having the icey tek in North South position but wondered how persons would sit on it, oh well motorbike style it is then!

Yes love the idea of more room all around the 'island' chilly bin config. Can these bins stand up to people sitting on them all day? Also I have a query about diving/spearfishing from the boat. How would you get back on/off? Over the back or maybe you need a small ladder?

Also how would you set up a bilge pump?

My thoughts: A small catcher set lower than the floor at the back that the bilge takes from. But then I suppose a battery is required to run the bilge...also somebody might step in the bilge hole??

Are the scuppers any good?

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 9:45am
I am a bit past my best diving days but last week my daughter, her partner and a friend went out for a scolly dive. The guys actually commented that it was really easy to get back into the boat from the Port rear quarter. I have had serious aluminium hand helds placed both sides of rear. The "standard ones (to me) look a little flimsy. If you are having a manual outboard fitted, it will be a "challenge" to fit a bilge pump. It can be done, but you will need one of those motorbike batteries and you will need to charge it up after each trip. Are you going to have a depth sounder / fish finder ? You will need a battery for this very necessary peice of equipment !
Nobody will step in the bilge hole ! I think you will find that he puts it right at the back of the boat and that your tote tank will probably cover most of it. I would not consider having my next boat without one. I get really annoyed with even a small amount of water slopping around. It probably doesn't worry you spearos all that much.
The scuppers are really for dumping a lot of water if you take one over the back. They are not really efficient in completely draining the boat
Good luck with your project.
Love to see photos of the finished deal. 

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 3:05pm
Thanks for the info - I am going to try ringing a bloke down here that has a 4.1 just so I can have a look up close and find out how it has been.

I definately prefer your bowrails Contract, they look a lot better. On the issue of fishfinder and bilge pump obviously requiring a battery - I am thinking if I go for the tiller steer I will get a bilge sump put in and then maybe wire in a bilge pump / battery / fishfinder later if I get keen.

I would probably prefer a front steer of centre console like yours but the extra cost puts me off. Frews will do a cc for probably about $18000 landed and the 4.1 dinghy is costing me $13000 landed, also they do a 4.05 cuddy with front steering for $21000 landed.

This is my first boat and I am thinking I dont know how much use I will get out of it with a young family (but also have a few keen fishing mates - hopefully always a keen crew waiting). I like the extra protection afforded by the cuddy and also the fact with steering and electric start it is so much easier to hook up bilge pumps and fishfinders - just compromising  Confused

What sort of fishfinder do you have?

Hey maybe I could buy your boat when you upgradeLOL

I am still researching and I haven't made a decision yet on what I want - getting a tow bar fitted to the car on Friday though and wife has sort of oked the boat but she is now on a spending spree to make up for itCry

What is warranty on the Bark Blastard?

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 4:02pm
If it is your first boat, you are probably very concerned about price. If it were my first boat, I would probably recommend going for a cuddy because
A) Because they are more of a "mainstream" boat if you find you want "out" at sometime.
B) Definately easier to mount electrics etc
C) A Center Console is a specialist set up. You either love them or hate them. There aren't many 'in between" about them. This is a forum guys ~ give the man some advice Wink
D) A CC is a "blokes boat" and first time fisherettes probably will not enjoy coming home with a cold , wet toosh !LOL
D) Going with a cuddy you can probably "get away" with a manual start and no power tilt. You have more room to scramble around the boat doing all the pull and lift things. Me .... ? i'm too old for that.

I have a Northstar GPS / Fishfinder (the new Navman brand)

Mercury's extended warranty is for 5 years but be warned, it starts from when you pay for it, not from when it is running correctly.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 5:43pm
So you are saying I should fork out the extra for a Frewza 4.05 cuddy? I think this version comes with electric start, electric trim, 40 HP black motor and 2 front facing seats. It is still $20k though!

A mate got a huge 6M surtees for $25k second hand...too big for me though.

Or pehaps a second hand cuddy of around 4M for me, I just really like the safety features and stability of the aluminium pontoon type boats. Also with the 4M I won't be going far, just inshore stuff. Thanks for the point about getting wet, I assumed in those open dinghys there would be quite a lot of spray and a cuddy would help with that and my wife would consider coming out also.

Weight is a bit of a consideration for towing as is garage space so I think a 4M cuddy is my limit for size but I dont really want to spend over 13k-15k, I also get your point about resale. The open dinghy with the 30HP would not be as marketable as a cuddy type boat with steering wheel....

What is the ride like of your Frewza? Better than other boats of that size or the same? I am thinking that any 4M boat will be rough riding if conditions deteriorate. A part of my research I think I need to see one of these dinghys up close to appreciate the size and ergonomics.

As for resale I heard of a guy who bought a 5.3M stabicraft 8 years ago for $33k and has just sold it for $25k. That is economical boating.

Posted By: flyfisher
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 6:12pm
Tropic, I'm in Hataitai if you wanted to take a look at the Stabi 389 up close in cuddy form, pretty much identical in hull form to Contracts Frewza. I do however think if buying new, the Frewza is better value for money, you simply pay for a name on the Stabicraft.  I also have had centre console's in the past - they are fantastic, unfortunatley Wellington weather conditions mean they are not as practicle as locations further North.

Yes, they can ride harsh in a chop but give me the feeling of safety any day, I find the ride just fine in up to 10-12 knots of wind. I'm regulary running to the trench these days from Evans bay in conditions up to 15-20 knots just fine for approx 20l fuel burn at full throttle there and back if smooth enough with a 40hp. As Contract says, the scuppers are hopeless, just there to dump a heap of water if a wave comes over the back. I had part side put on for easy access after a dive, a bit harder with full high sides.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:50pm
Hi Harding, Nice boat - that must be the 389 XR? The Frewza cuddy has same engine as yours I think electric start Merc 40hp.

Yes I might be keen to have a look at your set up. The Frewza high sided 4.05 cuddy is approx $21k landed in Wellington ready to go. Could you make any suggestions for modifications if I decide to go for one of those? I was thinking bilge sump and pump and lower sides at the rear for diving would be the way to go.

I saw on trademe there is a guy on there that wants $18k for an almost new stabi 409 fishr with 4 stroke 30hp yamaha. That would be landed $19k in Wellington. With the Frewza you can mod it and you get the 5 year warranty on motor but I suppose resale would be better on a Stabi...Also the 409 fishr doesn't look like it has as much protection as the cuddy and your XR.

And you are right about Wellington conditions..Shocked

Posted By: flyfisher
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 10:21am
It's just the standard dinghy-cuddy model, not the XR as has no outboard well - not reall necesary IMO anyway on this size, much cheaper to buy than the XR as the sides only cost $700 to put on, also have an inbuilt 30l fuel tank now (pic below).

Def bilge sump built-in and also reccomend a permanent fuel tank, mine doubles as the foot-rest and cargo stop. I hate tote-tanks and they take up a heap of precious room. If you went for a cuddy I reckon the seat box I put in has been just fantastic for fish and bait storage and it also doubles as a live bait tank - still plenty of room to walk the side of the seat box to front seats.

Those new stabi 409's are ugly, and have the fibreglass cabin which looks pretty flimsy and yes lower in profile, IMO the 30hp is underpowered on the Stabi (had two 30's on mine previously) and Frewza, 40hp is good, 50hp even better as they are the same engine generally as the 40's in 2-stroke form.

If I had to start from scratch I'd probably go the Frewza built custom with a 4 or 5mm bottom for Wellington conditions, mine at 3mm is already showing deflection but I drive it pretty hard, have also just split a weld on the floor chamber. I've dealt with Stabi in Invercargill on a few occassions and found them none-to-friendly to deal with and not overley interested in helping with any queries or problems.

Contact me through my website if you want to come and have a look or go for a quick spin on the harbour, I'm out at least 3-4 times a week. Andrew

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz

Print Page | Close Window