Print Page | Close Window

Yucatan Knot

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19380
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:02am

Topic: Yucatan Knot
Posted By: wingo
Subject: Yucatan Knot
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 9:44pm
The Yucatan knot was featured by Sam Mossman in last months Fishing News. Am I the only person who looks at it and thinks the knot pictured is an Albright knot?

He says the knot is the same as the Albright but it exits the opposite way......I don't know about this. Everywhere I look on the net the Yucatan is quite different, involves a double, and the leader is fed back through the loop in the double. See http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_yucatan.html - Yucatan Knot

This shows the braid is twisted around the leader, the FN article diagram shows the leader being twisted around the braid.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the diagram they put in is the wrong one. It seems to be from Geoff Wilson's Knots and Rigs book.

I tried the knot today and it worked great, it is a nice snug, easy to tie knot except you do kneed a double with the loop intact.

Replies:
Posted By: sooshee
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 10:05pm
I haven't seen the article but the Yucatan knot is not the same as the albright. I like the yucatan as it has a nice slim profile and it is easy to end up with equal lengths of each 'leg' of the double when you tighten up the knot, unlike the albright. I don't find the yucatan suitable for thicker leader (e.g. > 100lb) though, as I find the knot quite hard to pull up tight.

Posted By: BarneyC
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 9:11pm
Can't remember the article but Cicada seems to swear by the yucatan knot.

If anyone can post a nice detailed how-to I'll give it a go and see if it's any better than the usual grannyBig%20smile

Posted By: wingo
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2007 at 11:10pm
BarneyC go to:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_yucatan.html

Try it out, like I said it is great but the disadvantage to me is you need a double with the loop intact. So if you want replace your leader you must either retie a double (wasting expensive braid) or revert to one of the other knots like back to back uni.

As sooshee says a couple of advantages are "it has a nice slim profile and it is easy to end up with equal lengths of each 'leg' of the double when you tighten up the knot". I think it is very easy to tie as well providing you can count the 15 turns ;^)

Posted By: Rank Amateur
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2007 at 10:00am
Sarted using it last weekend - and I like it a lot...  If you're careful you can also cut the leader and keep the loop intact - with a little bit of care you can cut the leader at the rod end of the knot and unpick it - takes a few minutes but quicker than retying a new double!

Print Page | Close Window