Print Page | Close Window

Scum..

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129273
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:29am

Topic: Scum..
Posted By: Steps
Subject: Scum..
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 9:33am
W have moved into our new home.. and thew glass/ fiberglass shower hasnt been cleaned for yrs...

1/ google.. vinegar  or vinegar and baking powder, and also with salt added.
 May have made a very margal difference. not worth pursuing
2/ A brand heavy duty product containing an abrasive sulphanic acid and requires a LOT of elbow grease...yes lifted a bit, and if rub like hell in a spot 3" in diameter works... estimate about 25hr to do the job... and about 6hrs with a large polishing grinder..still leaving a fine film.
3/ citric acid.. same as vinegar
4/ Engine degreaser.. ok when thick layer  takes a bit off, not worth effort
5/ CRC,
 paint brush cleaner, 
turps 
kero, 
 Dishwash powder soln (conc)
 car painter de wax/ degreaser solvent
 IPA  all next to hopeless 
6/ Extreme high concentrate do not get on hands, if do will burn yellow commercial drive thru carwash detergent...removes as little bit but still leaves a hard film
7/ LPG blow torch.. wife growled me .. though i was serious thu tempted 
7/ cut with gelcoat compound and machine polisher.. more than 2/
5/ althu acid is the way to go...sugar soap undiluted and soak over night, scotch brit off  best method to date
 But still a cloudy film
 repeat all of the above on film...still there
6/ Sulphuric acid out of a car battery..and soak...very marginal.
7/ phosphoric acid (rust kill) very cautious as this eats/ etches  glass

I have 5 ideas left.
1/ put the 3000lb petriol water blaster outside the bathroom window, hose thru the window .. heaps towels etc on floors and go for it.. watching dont blast any of the glass frame seals out.
2/ machine polish using titanium stainless steel polishing rouge and kero as a lube medium.. will be very messy thu.
3/ Oven cleaner
4/ jeyes fluid

5/ just clean areas that look thru the glass to bottles/ items to make them look clear.. give a false immediate impression glass etc is clear..see 2/

So if anyone has any ideas, has found something that actually works
 PLEASE

I really dont want to go with the last soln.

Replies:
Posted By: Saltiga
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 9:49am
had same problem when we bought our house. 
still haven't found away to sort it, tried tigers paw on glass but didn't move it off that well. 
Meths didn't work, tried shower witch with marginal results. 
bucket of lemon juice - did stuff all. 
chemco didn't do much either. 

will watch with interest. 

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:13am
Might have been cleaned more recently then you think, the water is just crap where you are.  We actually found that the wet and forget tigers paw, used as per the instructions, does work -but does still require elbow grease, nothing shifts that stuff easily.

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:25am
Google is your friend. It tells you that can buy a completely new shower unit for a few hundred bucks. Big smile

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:45am
That sounds real bad steps - jif and elbow grease works for me but sounds way to far gone - some people put up with amazing amounts of grime - what part of Akld are you in now?

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Barrie
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 11:11am
I have a glass company.
There are a few new products on the market that may help now one of which I am taking to my daughter on sunday so she can try it out as she cleans baches in Raglan so keep in touch and I will let you know how she gets on.

Glass is made up with calcium so with water having a huge amount of calcium in it as the water droplets dry it fuses with the glass and can become one. When you have either put a new shower in or possibly repaired your existing make sure you have a squeege hanging on the shower and break the legs of anyone who dose not clean it.
It needs to be done every time.
There are coatings similar to rainex (several products) but people tent to rely on them. Dont! Squeege every time.
My bach is probably at least 25 years old and the glass shower is still purrrfect. My home shower is about 5 years old and still 100%. we have a squeege in both.
If I fail to reply to this in about a week, PM me and remind me and I will ask my daughter how she got on

Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:12pm
Tin oxide use to be used to polish scratches out of glass - old school glass shop might have some or a sculpting supplies like Regal casting will have some .
Worth trying steps as it’s the right cutting compound for glass .

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 4:01pm
I use a product from my local glass/locksmith place called "Sparkle"

https://www.glasstools.co.nz/crl-sparkle-glass-cleaner-stain-remover.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.glasstools.co.nz/crl-sparkle-glass-cleaner-stain-remover.html

Unable to set hyperlink at the moment

Edit.... seems to have set hyperlink after all...

-------------
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 5:15pm
I can see an insurance claim coming on for accidental damageLOL

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Does that mean SCRUM down and charge Paul? LOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:35pm
Yep what Kevin said mate , water out our way is horrible for staining things . Keep an eye on your kettle , I get about a t-spoon of hard mineral build up in it every 2-3 weeks .
PS do I hear house warming party coming up Wink

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Does that mean SCRUM down and charge Paul? LOL
Blame it on skoti at the house warming partyWink

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: fish-feeder
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:53pm
Are you not on tank water out that way skoti?

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:42pm
Nah bro , town supply here in Waiuku township .

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:14pm
Having brought a house that was a rental with no pride tennants I understand your pain..... I used Grunt on the shower windows, and modified a green scouring cloth attatched to a rubber sanding disc on a battery operated makita grinder. We only have bore water where I live and it’s chocha with calcium and silica. The set up above chewed through it, to leave the glass sparkling. My wife thought I had replaced the glass.....
I have tried 5 or 6 different remedies
( vinegar with baking soda, CLR, phosphoric acid and even WD40) none work anything remotely like the above.
Not sure I’d have at the fiberglass with my method, but we have tiled showers.......
Be prepared to clean up bits of chewed up green scouring pad afterwards....

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:58am
the waterstain doctor , the pads attached to maulty speed grinder the stuff they supply will make it look new .It works .

Posted By: Barrie
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 7:24am
a lot of experts here but your talking about 2 different things. The white buildup is the almost non repairable one. High speed is the enemy of glass cleaning and all glass merchants will tell you thats. Jewelers rouge is the paste but there are others. When you use a high speed drill (or similar) there is a heat buildup. This buildup causes a "burn in the glass that can leave a stain in it as well. It also causes a "dish" in the surface and if its toughened safety glass can break at any stage.

Steps if you want to know how the product that I have for my daughter gets on just PM me in about a week.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:24am
Good posts
 Yep chemistry glass calcium and the calcium minerals is sort of corect.. glass is silica oxide.. both are close in nature so the semi bonding is correct

Tin oxide use to be used to polish scratches out of glass - old school 
 yep.. I refer to titanium oxide rouge.. similar and a step up.. I also have a selection of other rouges (note my posts on polishing alloys and stainless.
Also the wet forget and other products are basically a rouge mixed with an acid.. sulphonic

Yep what Kevin said mate , water out our way is horrible for staining things 
 Yep calcuim and iron are 2 main, and very high in concentration due to bore water.. according to the Auckland city council monitoring results.
 Did the homework on this before moving..
We do have a filters on the water supply.. condition as yet unknown, thu did wash the truck the other day.. big mineral marks...
Fortunately there is a lot of  meguiars quick detail polish and it wipes off easy...
Which covers other posts re rainex etc.

Grinders / polishing....yep dont use a drill, you not only build far too much heat but the pads small diameter cause scalop  polish marks... I mention a large car polisher..
And use a form polish pad.. not a sheep's wool

Now to add to the list...
Damn Im getting bloody annal on this...
Desolveit
 Carpet shampoo...this was more effective than most of the list 
toilet cleaner.. what has happened to the old school formula toilet cleans.. its now basically Gone in 30 secs concentrate with a thickener...old school was hydrochloric acid and a thickener
Oven cleaner , caustic based.

The oven cleaner has takem most off with a bit of light rubbing (as against scrubbing).. with a scotch brite.. left for 5 or 6 hrs then a bit of a scrubb with wet scotch brite.
It has now left a very thin layer...very thin, which I suspect is , as suggested above semi bonded calcuim to the silca.
Which think at this point will mean machine polish off , and having most already removed should not be that much work

So going for a whole wall today...

PS do I hear house warming party coming up Wink

We thought about that before moving.. as most of our family friends, fish m8s...several members here.. etc in the big smoke, long drive, we put a spit on over open fire before moving.
 And this is a huge move, 2 workshops cobbles, house alone was 2 big moving trucks.. still a lot of sorting, making tool rod rack etc.
 Joined local fishing club, Smudge dropped in the other evening.. local neighbours real cool...

Once set up, for close, will be hitting the bars...waikato is closer so anyone very familiar with it and would like to go out a few times .. I could... no NEED that experience...

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:32am
Been thinking.. while spraying up another coat of oven cleaner...
 A post above mentions squeegee..
 Think this thru.
 have high mineral content.. be it wash a car or have a shower..
 The car gets wiped down dry with a couple towels out of the bathroom to stop the mineral circles.
One would have to do the same similar with the shower/ bath etc right?
 If not you get the shower clean, 1st shower  let dry and the build up is back...
Comment from memory was something like "squeegee every time"
 yep...or wipe down dry.

Now got to figure out how to change the 2 in line water filters.. no brand name or instructions..

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 2:24pm
When I first saw the thread title, I immediately thought your boat or Camaro had been stolen!!
Glad to hear it's just a grubby shower glass problem.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 9:33am
Camaro sold it a couple months ago, after nearly 40yrs and 300,000 solid mile.
Also sold the classic , vintage cars.
New town new life, time to move on.
 We do it when get married, then have children, then grandchildren and retire

As to glad a grubby shower...its been 2 weeks try this try that soak with this , buff with that...
maybe should have not sold the cars Wink

Anyway.. another spray and soak with caustic oven cleaner, then quick wipe down with the evening shower time.. the calcuim build up is getting very patchy and thin...with a klot clear stuff between.

I come back to a the squeegee, thought in above post.. after the caustic/ shower , I used the towel to dry off the glass...
And huge difference.
Very apparent that althu have been removing, then rinse off , if not squeegeed or dried, it appears as if there is little difference.
 Dry off, and the amount of original stuff removed is substantial.

Thinking thru further..
 I have used meguiars quick detail on my cars and new ssangyong.. (20mins to do the whole ute and canopy 3 coats over 2 weeks...
And as I washed it, and did not dry (another story) a quick detail and all the water marks go very easy.
 No polish and its a mission.
So thinking the same for the shower glass..
 The bathroom mirrors have been cleaned back and polished, hardly dont mist up now.

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 10:43am
Wet and Forget do a product that you spray the shower with after you use it that prevents this stuff building up, can't remember what its called.  One advantage of tank water over town water is that this problem disappears.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 5:40pm
There are several products all similar chemically.. 
 Funny thing is , hit the $2 shops and in general their stuff is cheap, and more effective than paying more money for 'brand names'

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 5:52pm
Hey Steps ......... I am surprised the simple foolproof remedy to your problem has not occurred to you ie an outdoors open shower on your back lawn.

OK so the neighbours might get a tad upset but you would never be troubled by glass stains ever again !

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 6:25pm
I would try the Tigers paw stuff - have used to remove scale stuff on shower glass doors etc. Did work - bit of elbow grease, and not cheap. Had tried other stuff before.
But CLR may work too. Rub on, fairly concentrated and leave for a few hrs, then try scrubbing off.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 7:13pm
If you can get it use spot-x with a scotch Brite pad, very good for old calc on boat windows.

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 8:03am
I would be very caucious using scatch britev or any abrasive on most boat windows.. they are usually acrlyic, much softer material and scratch easy..
 Polish .. including the clears with meguiars quick detail, use as little as possible, wipe over then buff off with a dry tea towel.. very quick.
And or, simply dry with a towel from the bathroom after washing.

CLR was on the list.. missed, wasnt impressed as a calcium/ scale remover...even on the spa pool... Damn good grease/ dirt remover 

Other things tried not on the list  listerine.. well it was handy, why not?
 Spot x is like desolovit...good product but didnt do anything on the shower glass.

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 6:18pm
Just tear it out, remodel the bathroom. I'm going tiles all around, rip out tub. walk in shower with glass wall..... Trade Depot good for your needs. Just look around for tilers, sparky & a builder or all in 1 person.... cash job helps

-------------

Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 7:34pm
I have cleaned stains off Formica using fine wet and dry sandpaper.

Posted By: fish-feeder
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:09pm
That's works,but Formica ain't see through. I'd hit it with a proper automotive buff and toothpaste,works on headlights when Mr WOF man says it won't. Try that steps. Low speed,bit of cooking oil and small areas at a time,like 1 foot square.

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 7:55am
John...yes that is on the cards , longer term.. its a bloody big bathroom also planing todrop the washing machine in there to.

But right now its the trees, lawns ( remove all weeds.. pasapum, twitch, broad lleave etc) level lawns, fill in bumps and hollows, new gardens, sort the workshop , lathes, sort parking for trailer and boat, the wood shed,  real dumb places for light switches, louver doors on the toilet, re wire TV aerial and run surround sound speaker wires, put thru ethernet cablingWink.

Its about working hard at being lazy 

I have cleaned stains off Formica using fine wet and dry sandpaper.
 Yes that is a surface.. like a car paint.. one can get down to 1200 grit and quick buff, no scratches.. but on a see thru surface it will be very cloudy, will see every scratch.. looking at 4000 grit and machine grass polishing rouge.
 I have polished sight glasses before 2" diameter.. and found the hard way..

I'd hit it with a proper automotive buff and toothpaste,works on headlights when Mr WOF man says it won't.
 Funny thing is thats what many workshop WoF guys do for their customers...except its the pumice hand wash cream..or a basic cutting compound...
 Those lenses are a plastic.. carbonate or acrylic type lens, far softer than glass.. 
 And have tried the toothpaste.. damn near everything in the bathroom that is handy.. including the saving soap and listerine...and combos..

The sugar soap , put on neat, and leave, scotch brite..couple times took most off.
 The oven cleaner..same as sugar soap above,  then got into the harder layers.. 
 Now only a very thin layer on the lower 1/2 of the glass.. and can read the labels on the bottles thru it
MUST squeegee after a shower.. build up is very quick.

Im now resinded to finish with the polisher and a good rouge.. the alloy rouge doesnt do anything, still got to hit with the stainless rouge...
 It at least looks presentable and no longer feel as if having a shower in a dirty environment...

And the list above is well under way.

Even managed a couple trips out in the boat...

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 11:09pm
Pm me a picture of the filters..
Are you in waikato, I may be able to help..

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 10:16am
I THINK I figured it out yestersay.
 There is a stange 'circle' wrench hanging in the shed.. and I did wonder why a full tube of inox food grade grease was there.
And a cone shaped 'ball of string'  and another filterer thing next to it.
What I figured, and corect me if wrong please.
1/ turn off inlet tap..
2/relieve pressure on a interal house tap. and turn of exit tap
3/ press the buttons on the top of the filters (maybe relieve and further pressure(?)
4/ wrench untightens the filter body.
5/ replace the fliters (still got to se inside so most proberly have to clean out muck(?)
6/ grease the seals.. hence the non petroleuminox  / food grade grease (?)
7/ carefully repressurise..and bleed with the buttons on the top (?)
8/ slowly open the exit taps and flush to make sure clear water in the house/

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 7:46pm
[QUOTE=Steps]I THINK I figured it out yestersay.
 There is a stange 'circle' wrench hanging in the shed.. and I did wonder why a full tube of inox food grade grease was there.
And a cone shaped 'ball of string'  and another filterer thing next to it.
What I figured, and corect me if wrong please.
1/ turn off inlet tap..
2/relieve pressure on a interal house tap. and turn of exit tap
3/ press the buttons on the top of the filters (maybe relieve and further pressure(?)
4/ wrench untightens the filter body.
5/ replace the fliters (still got to se inside so most proberly have to clean out muck(?)
6/ grease the seals.. hence the non petroleuminox  / food grade grease (?)
7/ carefully repressurise..and bleed with the buttons on the top (?)
8/ slowly open the exit taps and flush to make sure clear water in the house/

Been there, done that to replace water filters. Had water tested and was 99.9% pure. I said to my wife what about the other 0.1% that could get us, but she seemed happy. She's happy I'm happy.

Posted By: Jiggity
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:41am

Had the same issue. Tenants never really cleaned the place. Toilet stains and glass stains un removable, that was until I found a really handy tool for the job...sledge hammer.
Now it's starting to look clean again!.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 5:49pm
Steps. If it of any use I replaced our guest shower couple of years ago. I kept the door and glass panel which was joined at right angle to door cause seemed to good to take to tip. The shower had little use since I put it.

It's yours if you want it. The panel is behind door about the same size.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 7:58am
It is now near all perfect clear.
 The oven cleaner taking most of the initial off.
 Got a small pot of the gone in 30secs compound shower cleaner.. that was impressive...did as below a few times
 Iwas real bad.. could not see  thru
 Large areas are perfect clear
 Last few days, get a couple spare minutes and using the gelcoat cutting compound and  wet scotch brite.

Give a good rub for a few minutes, not going hard out. 
Then leave till next person has a shower.. and they quick wipe with the scotch brite and  rinse off.

The squeegee is a must thu.

Th boat / clears etc.. installing a high pressure wash down pump. When come from the salt water, quick 7 min detour to the waikato ramp, back in , flush motor and wash down.

Long term thinking maybe gt a couple of those 1 cube m cages plastic tanks and use rain water off the decks and shed for washing cars and boat... or at least final rinse off.

Thanks on the offer Moritz, would have taken it up if had not got to this stage.

If I was doing it again, I would not try and get it done in a day or week.
 Start with the oven cleaner and a little cutting comoun...a good wipe down with scotch brit.. and leave to wipe with scotchbrite and rinse off at the next use of the shower.
Squeegee or towel dry off after every shower.
 Apply not in the shower, at least the door cause it is hard to hold and scrub while in the shower.

Then when can read labels on bottle thru the glass, the gone in 30 secs cream (the small $10 bottle) and gelcoat or car cutting compound...

I do get the feeling when googling, all the ppl who recommends products, methods, either dont have yrs of bad build up or have only taken enough off to make a significant difference. 
 NOT taking back to nil cloudy film.

No matter what you use, to take a glass shower panel back to NIL film in one go / one day without some very serious sore muscles, some very intensive hrs,  even with a commercial machine buff is not viable... 

And thanks for the input guys...many that have been essential to our outcome.
 And yes including the tongue in cheek " sledge hammer" is THE option if one doesn't have the time to hit over many days.

I certainly hope this of use to others.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:04am
Prevention...
 Squeege , or what is more effective is dry down with the towel after each shower..
 I build up good coats of meguires quick detail on the clears/ windows of the boat, house windows, mirrors, glasses, and cars...
This keeps them clean longer, and very easy to clean....
I think with a little ttials already experimentwed with, this to be a very good option in the shower as well.
 Will get back later and confirm the long term results later.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:12am
Well done Thumbs Up

Posted By: Mejiro
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 4:56pm
My last house was built in the early 70s and owned since new by a couple who were in their 90s from new until I bought it. Old school shower was brown and the soap dish caked with scum. I used my favourite cleaner, OzClean SHOWER POWER sold in supermarkets and in my experience the results are instant but depending how bad the shower is it may take several applications. I'd never use anything else now.
It does warn not to use on marble, slate and porous tiles.
Go for the trigger spray pack and make sure the room is ventilated as it can give off a strong vapour.
It leaves a nice citrus smell

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:53am
 OzClean SHOWER POWER sold in supermarkets

Hmm now that looks promising, googled  and reviews etc..
 Still looks like a bit of a mission if build up has been a few rs, but do able.
 It seems countdown, and only some branches stock it ???
Next trip to the big smoke going to get a spray bottle of it.. looks reasonable priced to

Print Page | Close Window