Print Page | Close Window

What is this symbol

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129061
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 1:16pm

Topic: What is this symbol
Posted By: Big -Dave
Subject: What is this symbol
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:48pm
Garmin gps, honda outboard..the right hand one with the b in it

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Replies:
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:51pm

-------------

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:06pm
Speak to the dealer.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: puff
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:46pm
Isn’t kpa pressure of some sort

Posted By: PE Pete
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
Would have thought the B represents Bar but then you would expect a secondary scale around the dial.

-------------
Tight lines
PE Pete

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 7:06pm
It is pressure.
Pretty sure it isnt fuel or oil..

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 8:13pm
Big dave is closest so far,

KPA is pressure.

It could be a myriad of possibilities.

But likely the oil.

It's the only important thing to quantify.

As I said ring the manufacturer or supplier or agent.

Five seconds on the ph will eliminate the need for this post, and endless speculation.

-------------

Posted By: Motorhead
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

Would have thought the B represents Bar but then you would expect a secondary scale around the dial.

It probably would represent bar as 200kPA is 2 bar. So the gauge in this instance is approximately 25kPA or .25 bar. 

Posted By: Don18025
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 7:47am
Looks like a Garmin GPS pointing to where the Bar is - both front and back doors!!!Wink

Posted By: CoastalStan
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 6:13am
I’m guessing but it is probably Boost pressure

Posted By: edge01
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 2:50pm
oil pressure.

Posted By: Motorhead
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:55pm
If your oil pressure is that low you likely have a problem.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 10:22am
No answer as to what yet?
Thats approx 30/35 kpa about 4/5lbs.. seems rather low even at idle on a warm engine.. (?)

I dont know honda engine specs thu..

Gauge range 0 to 400 kpa   about 0 to 60lbs

A gauge is usually calibrated to work in the center / vertical position  200 kpa... 30lbs

So could be oil pressure.. thu cold engine may go damn close to the top limits... mid way 30lbs.. 
 And I would think the engine would have a on/ off idiot light type sensor rather than a pressure range sensor (???).. and on/ off sensors dont measure pressure range..
 Do Hondas have an idiot light sensor and/ or a  pressure read out sensor?

Not fuel pressure on an injected engine.. that would be up over 40lbs min at least (?)

Im going for engine oil pressure gauge... thu the reading example does, as suggested in previous post. seems rather low..

Posted By: Grasshoppa
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 1:30pm
it is boost pressure

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 10:40pm
It shows pressure when the engine is not running,
Fuel pressure is all it could be, it does read slightly higher before the engine is started.
I guess no ine else has actually seen this, seems the honda agent here has no idea either.
Oh well, the engine runs fine regardless.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 10:48pm
Steps, these engines are riddled with sensors.
Apparentky there are 4 coolant temp sensors, and the one shown in the middle of the picture, is engine block temp, so it probably gives an approximate oil temp reading.
The nmea data does not give access to half of the sensors on the motor. But it does respond to alarms, water in fuel, over temp, etc..and these alarms show on the chart plotter.
I recentky had an issue where one thermostat was opening late, and the computer alarmed because the temp was different in each bank of cylinders. 2 new thermostats, and no more issues.

-------------

Posted By: Grasshoppa
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:09am
Arrows pointing into circle indicate something being forced in
B stands for boost

The respective NMEA code charts for both Honda and Garmin offer Boost values

The Honda chart does not offer codes for fuel pressure
Fuel would have F as the symbol

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/misc/nmea2000_pgn_list.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/misc/nmea2000_pgn_list.pdf
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Tech_Ref_for_Garmin_NMEA2k_EN.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Tech_Ref_for_Garmin_NMEA2k_EN.pdf

Im not so familar with Honda Outboards but maybe there is is a compressor to build slight initial boost pressure to avoid lag/improve throttle response

That or there's simply a calibration issue

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:25am
I guess no ine else has actually seen this, seems the honda agent here has no idea either.

Now that I see as a huge problem..
 10 out of 10 for saying so..
But did they say they WILL find out?
 Either or both,  dusting off the the Factory  Install Service Repair Manual, removing the plastic sealed cover, and contacting Honda...and Garmin?

Going on from the date of the 1st post to now, they should have contacted you with the correct answer..Right?

Or  are my expectations of professional TYPE services in NZ too high?

Posted By: Durban
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:53am
You have either 175/200/225 hp the injector pump fuel pressure should be 41 to 48 psi ( 280-330 kpa ) @ 600-700rpm

Posted By: REIVER
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 4:31pm
Water pressure ? To show if the impellor is pumping enough water. Pretty sure my Optimax shows this.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:35pm
Really,
You haven't contacted the manufacturer.

This is not Facebook you muppet.

-------------

Posted By: JB
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:43pm
Hi,

One option to explore is to go into your Garmin set up under the intrustments and see what boxes are selected or ticked. I’ve a simrad set up and you can customise the layout.
I’m picking you should be able to go into the set up menu and see what inputs are selected. That will tell you what you are after I’m picking

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:28pm
Is the engine running in that pic? Gonna assume it is from the voltage and temperature....

I think it's a boost/intake manifold pressure gauge. Since your motor is naturally aspirated, it will always read less than atmospheric (~101kpa). If you give the motor some beans I would expect the vacuum to increase, moving the gauge further to the left.

Posted By: Durban
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:57pm
He does mention that the pressure does changes when he starts it if its connected to the fuel injector pump there will be a slight change in pressure at start up the vacuum operates the fuel regulator, if its connected to the oil pump it will also hold pressure as the motor does have a check valve in . Honda uses a oil pressure switch which is connected in a normally closed circuit to keep the oil indicator pressure light on to tell you the the system is pressurized if the light goes off its telling you there is a fault with the oil pressure in the motor

Print Page | Close Window